Mike Wilbon Calls for Retaliation

Wow, all Fran has done is shown that he has the players back and will fight for them no matter what. Refuses to throw them under the bus (think how Alford would handle this or Lik).

Posts like these make me question reading these boards, nothing but crazies and pot stirrers fishing for reactions. Waste of my time apparently.

Iowa just came off their best week of basketball in forever and these are the posts we get. Anyone with a smidgen of common sense know Woody isn't poking intentionally. You can critique that his approach on d is flawed/careless and should be cleaned up but making out that Fran and woody are the masters of evil is laughable.

I agree. There are too many crazies out there for me to try and figure out what is going on in someone's head but what BDB said is truly some batty ####.

Its rather interesting that ESPN is completely fine with Wilbon calling for a college team to intentionally injure a player on another team...regardless of the situation. To me that is completely out of line even to suggest. These are 18-22 year old kids and some 55 year old talking head is calling on them to purposely injure each other? Disgraceful.

Last edited:
It is no surprise that ESPN jumped on the eye thing and Fran's response to questions about it. The media always circles the wagons when someone goes after one of their own. I figured, when Fran responded to Dakich, and let him have it with both barrels, that ESPN would find a way to retaliate. This incident, unfortunately, gave them an opportunity.

As to the threat(?) made by whatever his name is, please don't worry. I have contacted an All American high draft choice member of the Hawkeyes and he will be bench pressing what's his name on BTN. Watch for it!

You may very well be on to something there.... I assume Dakich and Wilbon may be close... Does Wilbon have Twitter? Someone should put the things Dakich said about Woody and ask him if there's any thing remotely bullyish about that? Sticking up for the guy who was a Knight disciple in regards to who's a bully and Fran and the things he's done are pretty weak...

These guys know nothing about Fran other than he slammed a chair once and got thrown out of the Wisconsin game. They call him a bully and try to sound like they know what they're talking about based on those 2 things. I can't think of one other time that Fran was a jerk to the media. There might be other times but my point is, if it happened on a regular basis , i would know about it.

He might want to adjust his hand/finger positioning, just for the simple fact that he very well could sprain or break his finger.

This is an arguement I've been making in defense of him. He is more likely to hurt his own finger trying that than to actually get someone in the eye. If he was intending to hurt someone, he would do the exact same thing but with more of a closed fist.

Also when you're in the process of moving your hand out, your fingers are always going to be pointing stait ahead.

This is an arguement I've been making in defense of him. He is more likely to hurt his own finger trying that than to actually get someone in the eye. If he was intending to hurt someone, he would do the exact same thing but with more of a closed fist.

Also when you're in the process of moving your hand out, your fingers are always going to be pointing stait ahead.

I don't know the Wilbon character but he just sounds like a high class thug. It reminds me of the mafia or street gangs. He must be pretty desperate for attention and loves to go after the money. The mafia and leaders of the street gangs have big mouths, but they would never get caught doing what they say. They love for others to do their bidding.

I don't know the Wilbon character but he just sounds like a high class thug. It reminds me of the mafia or street gangs. He must be pretty desperate for attention and loves to go after the money. The mafia and leaders of the street gangs have big mouths, but they would never get caught doing what they say. They love for others to do their bidding.

MW is a blatant racist idiot--Cornholer needs to shut him down.

MW is a blatant racist idiot--Cornholer needs to shut him down.

Idiots knocking Woodbury and Fran seems like something that will bring the team closer together rather than just a distraction. Hopefully, they will come together and have a great game against Minnesota.

The OP lost me when he referred to Kornheiser and Wilbon as a "couple of very sharp talking heads".

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Wilbon never played a sport in his life. Can anyone confirm?

If only our local media could be half as tough on Kirk as they are on Fran.

He played baseball for two years and tennis for one year in high school.

Regardless, Woodbury has to get his head out of his a** and knock this crap off. Nobody plays defense by jabbing at another player's face. Possibly a good season on the horizon that is being overshadowed by some stupid actions on the court. Nice publicity for the team, huh?
I've said previously that nobody plays defense with fingers extended horizontal to floor. I don't think he's intentionally aiming for the eyes but he's leading team in eye pokes. Everyone else is tied for second eith zero.

The one show I cannot do without is Pardon the Interruption. To those who have not seen it, it is a couple of very sharp talking heads who talk nothing but sports for 30 mins each day on ESPN. Today, they spent a full 2 minutes talking about Woody and his eye poking problem. Wilbon, a huge Big 10 homer who always sticks up for us, had nothing but negative things to say about Fran and Woody. Called Fran a well known "bully" with a volatile temper (it didn't help that they showed a clip of the press conference where Fran refused to respond to a question about the 3rd poke, calling it an unintelligent question). Wilbon suggested that if the Big 10 does not step in, the next team we play bring out one of their linebackers to give Woody a taste of his own medicine prior to the start of the game. All players who were poked were defenseless and not even moving at him.

While I have been on the fence in determining whether or not the 3 pokes were intentional, the guys on PTI brought up a persuasive point...the guys Woody poked just happened to be the very best guys on the teams he faced. Against Wisko, he poked a guy who is perhaps the best player in the nation. Against Maryland, he poked a guy who was single handedly taking us on.

It will be interesting to see if a suspension occurs.

It's really sad that a supposed Hawkeye fan is so eager to throw Fran and Woody under the bus. If you can't support this team, leave. Find another program you can cheer for. Iowa State, perhaps? Or UNI?

As far as your last point, it is specious at best. Who assigns Woody to what player he is going to guard? Woody himself or Fran? I really don't think Woody is acting like an optometrist and trying to find the eyes of the best players on the floor so he can poke them. Rather, I think in two cases his assignment was to flash out on the shooter if they got open on the perimeter and use his size and space to try to block, hurry or alter the shot. In the third one, against Maryland, the player managed to get past the perimeter and Woody was the last defender.

My own opinion of what's happening is that Fran and the staff are teaching Woody defense is played not only with your arms and hands up high, but making your space larger by keeping your hands outstretched towards the attacker with the ball. With his size and relative lack of agility, he may not have realized his hands were in proximity to the eyes of the opponents and at least in a couple instances the opponents ran into him. I honestly do not think Woody is doing this intentionally.

As far as Wilbon, he is an effing idiot. He gives morons a bad name. A failed ESPN hack, almost in the same league as failed player, coach and husband Dockitch. I don't take anything he says seriously. And if you cannot do without "Pardon the Interruption," you live a really pathetic life. Mike Wilbon, Dan Dockitch, meet the poster iowalaw. You guys have a lot in common.

In a bizarre way, I do hope opposing teams and coaches attempt to take a cheap shot or two at Woody. No doubt the league is telling officials doing future Iowa games to keep an eye (heh-heh-heh, pardon my pun) out for Woody and whatever opponent he's guarding or is guarding him. So any chippy stuff aimed at Woody SHOULD be called, and depending on the seriousness, F1 or F2. Advantage Hokks. It SHOULD be called. But WILL it? This is, after all, the B1G, Jim Delaney and His Merry Band of Incompetents. So anything can happen.

I saw the play against Trimbly about 20 feet in front of me and at full speed. There's no way Woody meant to do it. Trimble is impossible fast and basically threaded his way around the Iowa players all day. He's gonna be a great one. He was shooting the tear drop over Woody all day. The fact is his fake on Woody was too good, Woody thought he was gonna shoot and Woody tried to get his hands up and Trimbly just shot forward at the wrong time for him. A foul should have been called right away. There must have been some doubt in the refs mind about who initiated contact or why didn't they make the call? Trimble definitely ran into Woody. The play only looks bad in slow motion not in context to the fake by Trimble which isn't shown in the replay. Woody is slow and clumsy but not a serial eye poker. The dangerous thing ahead is will teams start faking being poked, will Woody start being such a marked man he won't be able to stay on the court anymore, or will a teammate get hurt in a retaliation move by the opposition. The only thing Woody can do now is to give up face guarding entirely. Hands strait up over his head palms flat. Better defensive posture anyway and no chance of poking anyone.

We were getting destroyed against Wisky. To the point that there was no coming back... The exact opposite with Maryland. To think he did it on purpose, with ZERO to gain out of it, and everything to lose, is just nuts.

Now this whole thing has brought a lot of attention, mostly not good. Should Fran have worded things differently? Probably. Could Fran's comments, in defending his player, changed things that people have been saying? Possibly. Would the national scene still be talking about? Probably.

One thing is for certain, it has brought a lot of national attention. How Fran spins vehemently defending his players on a national stage is not going to look bad to a potential recruit. This story will fade, but Fran Now has the attention of the recruits, and can continue to carry on the conversation for the months/years to come. I do not have a problem with it.

I saw the play against Trimbly about 20 feet in front of me and at full speed. There's no way Woody meant to do it. Trimble is impossible fast and basically threaded his way around the Iowa players all day. He's gonna be a great one. He was shooting the tear drop over Woody all day. The fact is his fake on Woody was too good, Woody thought he was gonna shoot and Woody tried to get his hands up and Trimbly just shot forward at the wrong time for him. A foul should have been called right away. There must have been some doubt in the refs mind about who initiated contact or why didn't they make the call? Trimble definitely ran into Woody. The play only looks bad in slow motion not in context to the fake by Trimble which isn't shown in the replay. Woody is slow and clumsy but not a serial eye poker. The dangerous thing ahead is will teams start faking being poked, will Woody start being such a marked man he won't be able to stay on the court anymore, or will a teammate get hurt in a retaliation move by the opposition. The only thing Woody can do now is to give up face guarding entirely. Hands strait up over his head palms flat. Better defensive posture anyway and no chance of poking anyone.

Other teams won't retaliate because other basketball players aren't dumb enough to think he did it on purpose. Also we don't play Wisconsin or Maryland again. It's not like another team's player is going to risk getting bounced from a game to get back at a player who hit a guy from another team. That would be like a Penn State player going after McCabe for what he did to Trice last year.

We were getting destroyed against Wisky. To the point that there was no coming back... The exact opposite with Maryland. To think he did it on purpose, with ZERO to gain out of it, and everything to lose, is just nuts.

Now this whole thing has brought a lot of attention, mostly not good. Should Fran have worded things differently? Probably. Could Fran's comments, in defending his player, changed things that people have been saying? Possibly. Would the national scene still be talking about? Probably.

One thing is for certain, it has brought a lot of national attention. How Fran spins vehemently defending his players on a national stage is not going to look bad to a potential recruit. This story will fade, but Fran Now has the attention of the recruits, and can continue to carry on the conversation for the months/years to come. I do not have a problem with it.

In the short time that they talked about it on PTI they didn't even come close to putting what happened into perspective or context... They didn't mention Iowa even won the game I don't think. All they were wanting to do was blow hyperbole up everyones pyhole and be flamboyent doing it. What bothers me is that when he went on and on blasting Fran. Clearly he doesn't know a thing about him. Or that just a few seconds before he answered that question he was talking about the cancer money raised by the students. He's been a coach for quite awhile and that couldn't be further from the truth as to what he is. Yet Bobby Knight works for ESPN and he's looked at as the God of all coaches by everyone Mike 2 K included. So it's just about being obnoxious and getting ratings for that day. I can't wait for Iowa to kick NWs arse....

The one show I cannot do without is Pardon the Interruption. To those who have not seen it, it is a couple of very sharp talking heads who talk nothing but sports for 30 mins each day on ESPN. Today, they spent a full 2 minutes talking about Woody and his eye poking problem. Wilbon, a huge Big 10 homer who always sticks up for us, had nothing but negative things to say about Fran and Woody. Called Fran a well known "bully" with a volatile temper (it didn't help that they showed a clip of the press conference where Fran refused to respond to a question about the 3rd poke, calling it an unintelligent question). Wilbon suggested that if the Big 10 does not step in, the next team we play bring out one of their linebackers to give Woody a taste of his own medicine prior to the start of the game. All players who were poked were defenseless and not even moving at him.

While I have been on the fence in determining whether or not the 3 pokes were intentional, the guys on PTI brought up a persuasive point...the guys Woody poked just happened to be the very best guys on the teams he faced. Against Wisko, he poked a guy who is perhaps the best player in the nation. Against Maryland, he poked a guy who was single handedly taking us on.

It will be interesting to see if a suspension occurs.

Perhaps you should consider not watching it any longer. You say the show has "sharp talking heads", I say the show has talking pinheads. They go with the story of the day and: 1) take it out of context, 2) use hyperbole to make a point, 3) act like they know more than anyone else, and 4) act like they have insider knowledge when, in fact, they are only going on the same tired replays as everyone else.

Wait, maybe now I understand why you post what you do.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts