Mike Wilbon Calls for Retaliation

This very well could be more of a 'me' problem than anything, but it's been bugging me for a long time.

Believe me, I'm not one to miss watching Iowa hoops, but this year I've watched about 2 1/2 games.

Yes, it's you. And I'm pretty sure you just contradicted yourself in the 2nd sentence. Anyone that has only watched 2 1/2 games out of 23 is someone prone to missing Iowa basketball games IMO.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'm just being honest. This very well could be more of a 'me' problem than anything, but it's been bugging me for a long time.

The first time I saw Fran when Iowa hired him, I had a visceral reaction to him. I can't explain why, but my gut feeling about him was extremely negative, like I wanted to punch him in the face. There's just something about his demeanor I'm uneasy with. I sensed a contrived tough-guy act and got the feeling he was trying to be somebody bigger. Kinda like short-man's syndrome.

I've tried to ignore this gut feeling, but things kept happening to confirm it. I like a coach with some fire, but he seemed to lack the maturity to control it. At Wisconsin last year, McCabe's problems, the team's collapse down the stretch. All this confirmed in my mind that the team was taking on his lack of composure.

Believe me, I'm not one to miss watching Iowa hoops, but this year I've watched about 2 1/2 games. I haven't been able to shake my negative Fran instinct. I just feel dirty at the sight of him.

I've seen Woody's eye-poke replays and I have no idea if they're intentional. Only Woody knows that. What I do know is that Fran is, once again, showing his lack of composure and making a bad situation worse. It looks bad and I don't blame the national media for piling on.

Fran might be a great guy and a great coach, but my gut instinct still tells me that I need to punch him in the face. Would I ever do this? Of course not. My upbringing and my conscience wouldn't allow it. But come on, Fran. Prove my gut-feeling about you wrong for once.

LOL Fran would beat your *** so fast...

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'm just being honest. This very well could be more of a 'me' problem than anything, but it's been bugging me for a long time.

The first time I saw Fran when Iowa hired him, I had a visceral reaction to him. I can't explain why, but my gut feeling about him was extremely negative, like I wanted to punch him in the face. There's just something about his demeanor I'm uneasy with. I sensed a contrived tough-guy act and got the feeling he was trying to be somebody bigger. Kinda like short-man's syndrome.

I've tried to ignore this gut feeling, but things kept happening to confirm it. I like a coach with some fire, but he seemed to lack the maturity to control it. At Wisconsin last year, McCabe's problems, the team's collapse down the stretch. All this confirmed in my mind that the team was taking on his lack of composure.

Believe me, I'm not one to miss watching Iowa hoops, but this year I've watched about 2 1/2 games. I haven't been able to shake my negative Fran instinct. I just feel dirty at the sight of him.

I've seen Woody's eye-poke replays and I have no idea if they're intentional. Only Woody knows that. What I do know is that Fran is, once again, showing his lack of composure and making a bad situation worse. It looks bad and I don't blame the national media for piling on.

Fran might be a great guy and a great coach, but my gut instinct still tells me that I need to punch him in the face. Would I ever do this? Of course not. My upbringing and my conscience wouldn't allow it. But come on, Fran. Prove my gut-feeling about you wrong for once.

If you had watched more than 2.5 games you would know that Fran has toned down his aggressive demeanor by a significant margin. In fact, I haven't really seen him yell at a player once this entire season. He's yelled at the refs a few times, but what coach doesn't yell at the refs on occasion? I think he's only received one technical. He's definitely made an effort to be more in control of his emotions and it is obvious. Besides, even if I didn't like the coach, I'm a big enough Hawkeye fan that I would watch every game anyways. I couldn't stand Alford and I still watched the games. Obviously, I couldn't stand Lick and his brand of basketball, but I still watched the majority of those games. You completely contradict yourself with the sentence I bolded, and it takes away any relevance that was in your post.

If you had watched more than 2.5 games you would know that Fran has toned down his aggressive demeanor by a significant margin. In fact, I haven't really seen him yell at a player once this entire season. He's yelled at the refs a few times, but what coach doesn't yell at the refs on occasion? I think he's only received one technical. He's definitely made an effort to be more in control of his emotions and it is obvious. Besides, even if I didn't like the coach, I'm a big enough Hawkeye fan that I would watch every game anyways. I couldn't stand Alford and I still watched the games. Obviously, I couldn't stand Lick and his brand of basketball, but I still watched the majority of those games. You completely contradict yourself with the sentence I bolded, and it takes away any relevance that was in your post.

Can you point out the relevance that was in his post? I couldn't find any.

Besides, even if I didn't like the coach, I'm a big enough Hawkeye fan that I would watch every game anyways. I couldn't stand Alford and I still watched the games. Obviously, I couldn't stand Lick and his brand of basketball, but I still watched the majority of those games.

Ditto.

The only thing I would say and others have said it, is why is Woodbury trying to strip a guard of the ball in the paint? You're 7'1. Get your hands up, be big and swat that **** into the 10th row.

You do realize this speaks volumes about you.....that you can jump to these assumptions about someone by just looking at them for the first time, is a serious YOU problem.

Woody is sticking his hands out because he's not confident in his foot speed in playing defense. He needs to keep his hands up, as Fran said.

Woody's no rocket scientist, but he's not dumb enough to purposely poke Trimble in the eye when there had already been so much attention brought upon him by the previous two pokes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the suits at the B1G office slap down a suspension today, yielding to pressure from the media. Would be a travesty, to slap down a suspension for inadvertent clumsiness.

Wow, all Fran has done is shown that he has the players back and will fight for them no matter what. Refuses to throw them under the bus (think how Alford would handle this or Lik).

Posts like these make me question reading these boards, nothing but crazies and pot stirrers fishing for reactions. Waste of my time apparently.

Iowa just came off their best week of basketball in forever and these are the posts we get. Anyone with a smidgen of common sense know Woody isn't poking intentionally. You can critique that his approach on d is flawed/careless and should be cleaned up but making out that Fran and woody are the masters of evil is laughable.

I don't think it was intentional in any way, but the way Woodbury defends, with his fingers pointed out, at his height, certainly enhances the chance that this can happen. If his hand position on defense changed this won't happen again. If it doesn't change, it will likely happen again.

Pffffffffffffffftt pti is a turrrible show. Lol @ anyone giving any ****s about those 2 bald dweebs and woobdarry

Still cracks me up that their PG also had a 50 lb camera dropped right on his schnozz.. He had the ultimate DERP face
HIGH FIVE ADAM

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Wilbon never played a sport in his life. Can anyone confirm?

If only our local media could be half as tough on Kirk as they are on Fran.

Wilbon is a NW alum and has his favorites. Whenever those two can blowviate and talk with a bunch of hyperbole they will it makes for good TV. They are usually way more reserved then the Steven A Smiths of the world though.

Unless you pay attention to Iowa and Fran regurally your going to have the impression of him they do. In the "sports center" world we are in where everything is just a 30 second highlight that's what they'll be showing and talking about. Frans flareups and now what Woodys done are going to make good fodder for them.

Fran has not helped himself one little bit that's what's frustrating to me anyway. He can stand up for Woody and still do the right thing. For Fran to say it's unacceptable to hurt guys by poking them in the eye on purpose or not wouldn't be throwing Woody under the bus to me. It's telling it like it is. Obviously nobody can attest to Woodys intent but him. But it's irrelevant once it's happened 3 times in 2 wks or so. The coaches I'm sure will try and let him know how serious this is and get him to adjust where he has his hands. The least Fran can do is face the music and be a professional. Every media person will want those same answers so weather Fran thinks they are "intelligent" or not is irrelevant too cause that noise won't just go away...

A game suspension wouldn't be the end of the world for Woody and the team so if that gets us past this faster I'd actually be all for it. Obviously Fran won't do it and I'll be surprised if the BIG does it.... Since it doesn't look intentional (to most people) I don't think they'll give him one but hey I've been wrong before.

The idea of retaliation is ridiculous. If one feels there is clear, deliberate intent, the argument should be for a suspension. Absolutely no place for retaliation.

I don't think it was intentional in any way, but the way Woodbury defends, with his fingers pointed out, at his height, certainly enhances the chance that this can happen. If his hand position on defense changed this won't happen again. If it doesn't change, it will likely happen again.

He might want to adjust his hand/finger positioning, just for the simple fact that he very well could sprain or break his finger.

It is no surprise that ESPN jumped on the eye thing and Fran's response to questions about it. The media always circles the wagons when someone goes after one of their own. I figured, when Fran responded to Dakich, and let him have it with both barrels, that ESPN would find a way to retaliate. This incident, unfortunately, gave them an opportunity.

As to the threat(?) made by whatever his name is, please don't worry. I have contacted an All American high draft choice member of the Hawkeyes and he will be bench pressing what's his name on BTN. Watch for it!

Latest posts