Mike Wilbon Calls for Retaliation

What is the reason for Woody sticking his hand up in the guy's face? Is he just hand checking him and saying I got you covered? Is he trying to break up he guys concentration? Let's be honest here if that were a MSU player and he did that three times to other players posters on here would be calling for a suspension. I would like to hear Woody's side to f the story and why he puts his hand out towards the guys face. If he is trying to break his focus just say that. It makes it worse that the ball isn't even in the area where his hands are going. I don't see Adam doing it maliciously as he has never come of as that type of person. It's a simple question. Why are you putting your hands up in the fac of your opponent when the ball in not in that immediate area. Let's here what Woody has to say.

The guy already had about 5 pull up floaters from that exact spot. Woody was doing exacty (well, almost exactly) what he needed to be doing to guard that shot. His hand was where it needed to be to defend the ball coming up off the floor for the floater.

I watched a video of Adam explaining it and i actually explained it really well. One thing he said was there is no way he would do it in front of that many people on that big of stage.

What a bunch of adoo about nothing.
Move on!

Aint no suspension happening. It would have been today if at all.

What is the reason for Woody sticking his hand up in the guy's face? Is he just hand checking him and saying I got you covered? Is he trying to break up the guys concentration? Let's be honest here if that were a MSU player and he did that three times to other players posters on here would be calling for a suspension. I would like to hear Woody's side of the story and why he puts his hand out towards the guys face. If he is trying to break his focus just say that. It makes it worse that the ball isn't even in the area where his hands are going. I don't see Adam doing it maliciously as he has never come of as that type of person. It's a simple question. Why are you putting your hands up in the face of your opponent when the ball in not in that immediate area. Let's here what Woody has to say.

My guess is that it's intended to break the opponent's concentration.

Trimble was in the middle of doing a jump stop and then going up to the basket. Woody went to reach his hand out to slap the ball out as he went up into the air and he caught him in the eye. You can see Woody doing this in the replays because even after he pokes him his hand continues to follow the ball as do Woody's eyes. Woody never once looked up at Trimble's face, his eyes were always on the ball even as he poked him.

After the game Woody even stated that he was trying to swat the ball out as he went up. Its exactly what he did

ESPN has been terrible for a decade now, totally soulless and all about the money. I only go there to watch the games, and they even manage to *uck that up most of the time.

What is the reason for Woody sticking his hand up in the guy's face? Is he just hand checking him and saying I got you covered? Is he trying to break up the guys concentration? Let's be honest here if that were a MSU player and he did that three times to other players posters on here would be calling for a suspension. I would like to hear Woody's side of the story and why he puts his hand out towards the guys face. If he is trying to break his focus just say that. It makes it worse that the ball isn't even in the area where his hands are going. I don't see Adam doing it maliciously as he has never come of as that type of person. It's a simple question. Why are you putting your hands up in the face of your opponent when the ball in not in that immediate area. Let's here what Woody has to say.

My guess is that it's intended to break the opponent's concentration.

The reason is you dont play defense with your hands down. You want your hands up and activly moving around.

There is absolutely nothing incorrect about what he was doing other than he just got to close.

What a bunch of adoo about nothing.
Move on!

Aint no suspension happening. It would have been today if at all.

Its just the way those guys get their attention and make their money. It isn't anything more than that. The same thing the joker that started the whole thing in the Wisconsin game was doing.

I just have to laugh at all this. Guys like iowalaw are first to criticize the fact that Woody is slow, uncoordinated and can't jump. Yet somehow, and to the polar opposite, he is quick and agile enough to poke someone in the eye while they are moving and he is moving at very high speed. (In fact, as is pointed out earlier,the accusations only occur when someone sees the replays in slow motion.)

So which is it? Is he a highly skilled, quick, and agile athlete who is being malicious or is he a clumsy player who was just happened to get his hand into someone's eye?

I agree with Fran. Nothing here. Move along....

Wilbon is a dbag who wouldn't have the guts to stand up for himself if he was the one who was poked in the eye. Maybe he'd prefer if college teams went the way of the NBA in the 70's and 80's when every team had a power forward who was a hitman and delivered vigilante justice. Hey Wilbon, what do you say we just load someone up with an ak-47 and he just takes out every player, coach and fan who makes a mistake. Since PTI always goes over mistakes at the end of the show why don't we bring someone in to give you a cuffing when you make a mistake. Guys like Dakich and Wilbon continue to talk out of their butt but take no accountability for their own actions.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kaminsky, Hayes, and Trimble are at fault for getting poked in the eye. All they have to do is put their hand up vertical in front of their nose and between their eyes, and say, "nuk, nuk, nuk...why I oughtta". Woodbury's fingers would never reach the guys eyes as they would get caught in their vertical hand. They could then face slap or yank on Woodbury's nose in retaliation.

It's all so simple. I don't get all the fuss.

The guy already had about 5 pull up floaters from that exact spot. Woody was doing exacty (well, almost exactly) what he needed to be doing to guard that shot. His hand was where it needed to be to defend the ball coming up off the floor for the floater.

I watched a video of Adam explaining it and i actually explained it really well. One thing he said was there is no way he would do it in front of that many people on that big of stage.

That makes sense to me. I also suspect we are starting to worry people with how well we are playing at this time and some would like to interfere with our momentum any way they can.

Trimble was in the middle of doing a jump stop and then going up to the basket. Woody went to reach his hand out to slap the ball out as he went up into the air and he caught him in the eye. You can see Woody doing this in the replays because even after he pokes him his hand continues to follow the ball as do Woody's eyes. Woody never once looked up at Trimble's face, his eyes were always on the ball even as he poked him.

After the game Woody even stated that he was trying to swat the ball out as he went up. Its exactly what he did

Your the second person to explain it this way and that does make sense. Like I said anyone that has followed Adam or heard him give interviews would realize that Adam is a good person and not the type to do something so malicious.

The reason is you dont play defense with your hands down. You want your hands up and activly moving around.

There is absolutely nothing incorrect about what he was doing other than he just got to close.

Yep, Fundamental basketball to keep your hands up while playing on defense.

What troubles me is that IDIOT announcer suggesting someone deliberately hurt Adam. There is enough mentally unstable people floating around that they don't need someone planting ideas in people's minds. ESPN owes Adam an apology and the a$$w!pe should be fired for suggesting such a thing. I have never heard a announcer openly suggest such a thing on a national sports program.

There isn't going to be a suspension. Period.

Nigel Wilson was making a move. Unintentional.
Kaminsky rake down face over eyes. Intentional.
Mary. Who knows. Looked intentional to me but who knows.

Wilbon calling for retaliation shows how classy he is. Just a mediawhore trying to get eyeballs to his show and poking woody to do it.

Fran's respones to media are much to-do about nothing.
Woody's eye "pokes" aren't much more than that.

Regardless, Woodbury has to get his head out of his a** and knock this crap off. Nobody plays defense by jabbing at another player's face. Possibly a good season on the horizon that is being overshadowed by some stupid actions on the court. Nice publicity for the team, huh?

Regardless, Woodbury has to get his head out of his a** and knock this crap off. Nobody plays defense by jabbing at another player's face. Possibly a good season on the horizon that is being overshadowed by some stupid actions on the court. Nice publicity for the team, huh?

While I certainly believe NONE of the fouls were intentional and liked A LOT how Woody played, with 16 pts, 5 rebounds, an Assist and STeal vs Maryland, Howver.......I agree with Blubber, here.......

Kirk Speraw, Andrew Francis or another Coach need to have a little talk with Woody. They need to say this: Adam, you are 7 feet tall, so let's get your Hands up on defense and Block some shots. Guys that are 7 ft tall do NOT strip the ball out..........they SWAT the **** out of it.
Get it???

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I'm just being honest. This very well could be more of a 'me' problem than anything, but it's been bugging me for a long time.

The first time I saw Fran when Iowa hired him, I had a visceral reaction to him. I can't explain why, but my gut feeling about him was extremely negative, like I wanted to punch him in the face. There's just something about his demeanor I'm uneasy with. I sensed a contrived tough-guy act and got the feeling he was trying to be somebody bigger. Kinda like short-man's syndrome.

I've tried to ignore this gut feeling, but things kept happening to confirm it. I like a coach with some fire, but he seemed to lack the maturity to control it. At Wisconsin last year, McCabe's problems, the team's collapse down the stretch. All this confirmed in my mind that the team was taking on his lack of composure.

Believe me, I'm not one to miss watching Iowa hoops, but this year I've watched about 2 1/2 games. I haven't been able to shake my negative Fran instinct. I just feel dirty at the sight of him.

I've seen Woody's eye-poke replays and I have no idea if they're intentional. Only Woody knows that. What I do know is that Fran is, once again, showing his lack of composure and making a bad situation worse. It looks bad and I don't blame the national media for piling on.

Fran might be a great guy and a great coach, but my gut instinct still tells me that I need to punch him in the face. Would I ever do this? Of course not. My upbringing and my conscience wouldn't allow it. But come on, Fran. Prove my gut-feeling about you wrong for once.

I have no problem with Fran and Woody being criticized. They deserve it to some degree. But the "linebacker" comment was way out of bounds. Delany should weigh in. It would also be great if Ryan and Turgeon denounced Wilbon's comment.

Woodbury needs to keep playing solid aggressive basketball on both ends of the court.

While I certainly believe NONE of the fouls were intentional and liked A LOT how Woody played, with 16 pts, 5 rebounds, an Assist and STeal vs Maryland, Howver.......I agree with Blubber, here.......

Kirk Speraw, Andrew Francis or another Coach need to have a little talk with Woody. They need to say this: Adam, you are 7 feet tall, so let's get your Hands up on defense and Block some shots. Guys that are 7 ft tall do NOT strip the ball out..........they SWAT the **** out of it.
Get it???

I have a hunch the assistant coaches talk to the players every day...called coaching. If Woodbury were doing anything wrong the coaches would have him change it. See Fran's comments and the immediate change in how Woodbury handles the opening tip.

Latest posts