Mike Gundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you pass high school social studies?

No one, and I mean no one, has violated Gundy's or anyone else's 1st Amendment rights. He's free to wear that shirt if he wants. He might have to deal with the consequences of his words, but welcome to America. It's always been that way.

Do you want to live in a country where you get told you can protest or speak out about someone's actions or words?? Because you're suggesting that Gundy's detractors should be silenced. Now who's getting their 1st Amendment rights violated?

fry, you are just not right. of course the person also has a right to speak his dislike of any statement, written or spoken. But to demand an apology from someone who (apparently) has an opinion that is different from yours is NOT free speech or protesting, it is suppression of speech.

Some black people do come along and try to help black people learn how to help themselves. The black community quickly shuns those people and calls them uncle Toms.

That's such a broad generalization that I don't even know where to go with it. Black people telling other black people to be self sufficient doesn't automatically get the "Uncle Tom" label. It is such a dumb observation.

Man some of the schools really did a piss poor job of explaining to some of you folks what the 1st Amendment really is. I guess it's possible that you forgot what it means too.

so explain it ree4. you're the funny guy with the meme's. go ahead and explain the 1st amendment instead of simply trying to be funny and sounding like you know stuff.

Some black people do come along and try to help black people learn how to help themselves. The black community quickly shuns those people and calls them uncle Toms.

i don't know how generally that it happens, but it does happen. let's be realistic, it is difficult for anyone to have a true change of mind or change of heart. that is just difficult for humans to do. getting angry over someone else's opinion or point of view and demanding that contrary point of view be canceled is learned.

That's such a broad generalization that I don't even know where to go with it. Black people telling other black people to be self sufficient doesn't automatically get the "Uncle Tom" label. It is such a dumb observation.

trj, see my post. i didn't see yours until after i posted. i agree with you, but it does happen. radio show host leo terrell, who is a civil liberties lawyer and a black man, has stated he's been called that type of name because he is against defund the police and against blm because blm does not, through their own inaction, support all black lives. but if someone says they don't believe in blm and they're talking about the organization and not literally black lives, they're called racist because they hate black lives. terrell sees that for what it is.

fry, you are just not right. of course the person also has a right to speak his dislike of any statement, written or spoken. But to demand an apology from someone who (apparently) has an opinion that is different from yours is NOT free speech or protesting, it is suppression of speech.

It is called a heckler's veto. Liberals use them all the time. I think Alinsky had a chapter about how to run them really well.

Basically, if a conservative speaker tries to go to a college campus but his mere presence there will trigger snowflakes, they'll yell and pitch a fit in the crowd to shut it down. Another avenue is to start an act of violence at the venue. This was how they shut down the Trump rally in Chicago in 2016. There are countless examples of this stuff. Another variation liberals use to stifle free speech on college campuses now is to say "I don't feel safe." Who doesn't like safety? CANCELED.

There's a bunch of stuff down here named after violent Democrats who ran this group called the "Red Shirts." Same tactics as the Dems use today. Voter suppression, violence, silencing of critics, refusing to honor electoral results they disagree with, etc. People are working to get their names removed from things like buildings and highways and the hope of many is that some of these renamed items will include American heroes like Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.

so explain it ree4. you're the funny guy with the meme's. go ahead and explain the 1st amendment instead of simply trying to be funny and sounding like you know stuff.
Oh I do know stuff. A simple google search would do it but I'll play along. The part that pertains to this discussion is regarding free speech.

The First Amendment makes it unconstitutional for government to suppress speech. They cannot make laws that restrict the expression of the people or press or to threaten retribution. This doesn't mean that people can say anything they want anytime and not expect retaliation, just that the government can't punish them for it. Their employees can fire them, their wives can disown them etc.

Not everything is protected though. Below are things that are not protected under the 1st amendment.

• To incite actions that would harm others
  • To make or distribute obscene materials.
  • To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.
  • To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.
  • Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.
  • Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.

In the case of Mike Gundy, twitter could have removed the picture or any of the responses to it. Contrary to what trump believes, twitter is a private platform and they are able to police it as they see fit.

You can say what you want (minus the examples above) without fear of retribution from the government, but don't expect everything you say to not have any backlash (especially on social media).

...to demand an apology from someone who (apparently) has an opinion that is different from yours is NOT free speech or protesting, it is suppression of speech.
Lol. Demanding an apology is preventing free speech? Grundy had the choice to keep wearing that shirt and not apologize. Tell me how he didn't.

It is called a heckler's veto. Liberals use them all the time. I think Alinsky had a chapter about how to run them really well.

Basically, if a conservative speaker tries to go to a college campus but his mere presence there will trigger snowflakes, they'll yell and pitch a fit in the crowd to shut it down. Another avenue is to start an act of violence at the venue. This was how they shut down the Trump rally in Chicago in 2016. There are countless examples of this stuff. Another variation liberals use to stifle free speech on college campuses now is to say "I don't feel safe." Who doesn't like safety? CANCELED.

There's a bunch of stuff down here named after violent Democrats who ran this group called the "Red Shirts." Same tactics as the Dems use today. Voter suppression, violence, silencing of critics, refusing to honor electoral results they disagree with, etc. People are working to get their names removed from things like buildings and highways and the hope of many is that some of these renamed items will include American heroes like Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.
Hahah calling out dems for voter suppression is pretty rich. You kinda blew up your whole post with that.

thank you ok4p for putting that moniker on it. you're right, the heckler's veto. but utilizing a heckler's veto doesn't make the heckler right or the subject of the heckle wrong. when people forget to have a spine and stand up for what is right, in the case, free speech on both sides and no apologies required from either, then we descend into chaos.

and i will remind folks of something that i say from time to time and that is when two or more people, groups or entities disagree on a topic and are debating/arguing their merits for and/or against, the one(s) who resorts to name calling, violence or straw man arguments know they have lost the argument and have nothing else to provide.

The "nuclear" family ended decades ago for the black culture. Nearly 80% of black children are born out of wedlock, without a functioning father. There's your problem. It is an expensive problem for taxpayers, those who work. It is also a dangerous problem as the black on black murders demonstrate. These are the same comments of former Democratic Senator Moynihan, said many years ago, prior to being shunned by the new waves of One Way Think, BLM crowd. Now the BLM is a Woke Group of victims, blaming, excuses, needing free things. They want little to do with that "white way" that is, a father and mother faithful to each other for life and raising children with values.

"The black culture has problems that money can't fix." Senator Moynihan

Blacks need leaders who can help them figure out "a new, or shall we say, old way of living again." What they get are leaders who play the victim card and make excuses.

It really isn't that complicated...

Isn't the divorce rate 50% across the board? The definition of a "nuclear" family is not what it once was and white people don't have this on lock. Yes, there are issues within the black community that need to be fixed within the community, but your idea of "the white way is the right way" isn't the solution either.

Also the blue govs are trying to keep their states shut down in a risky attempt to hurt orangeman . . . literally shooting themselves in the foot hoping someone else takes the blame . . . we'll find out in November how smart they are, but I think it backfires.
And here I thought it was about protecting their citizens, how silly.

Lol. Demanding an apology is preventing free speech? Grundy had the choice to keep wearing that shirt and not apologize. Tell me how he didn't.

are you that naive to think gundy wasn't thinking about his contract and his security. gundy has millions of reasons to just apologize and move on. yes, in my opinion he lost his spine. drew brees did the same thing. apologize for self preservation. you can't really be that naive, friend. now, what happens, everyone goes to their corner. but gundy admitted he was wrong when he wasn't. now, coaches all over the country and going to be hypersensitive about saying anything that could be the least bit twisted. and what happens then? they shut up. they stop talking. and what is that called? suppressing free speech. you can't be that naive, can you?

Oh I do know stuff. A simple google search would do it but I'll play along. The part that pertains to this discussion is regarding free speech.

The First Amendment makes it unconstitutional for government to suppress speech. They cannot make laws that restrict the expression of the people or press or to threaten retribution. This doesn't mean that people can say anything they want anytime and not expect retaliation, just that the government can't punish them for it. Their employees can fire them, their wives can disown them etc.

Not everything is protected though. Below are things that are not protected under the 1st amendment.

• To incite actions that would harm others
  • To make or distribute obscene materials.
  • To burn draft cards as an anti-war protest.
  • To permit students to print articles in a school newspaper over the objections of the school administration.
  • Of students to make an obscene speech at a school-sponsored event.
  • Of students to advocate illegal drug use at a school-sponsored event.

In the case of Mike Gundy, twitter could have removed the picture or any of the responses to it. Contrary to what trump believes, twitter is a private platform and they are able to police it as they see fit.

You can say what you want (minus the examples above) without fear of retribution from the government, but don't expect everything you say to not have any backlash (especially on social media).

you did try really hard ree4. look at my response to fryowa. you're just being naive.

you did try really hard ree4. look at my response to fryowa. you're just being naive.
Hahaha, did you even read what I wrote? If you did you clearly didn't learn anything from it. I must have missed the news that congress is voting on a bill to decide what Mike can and can't wear and that if he deviates from it, he will need to apologize.

For those on here who haven't read "rules for radicals" . . . the prologue of the book is in praise of Lucifer

" . . . we choose truth over facts . . . " anyone want to guess the author of that quote?

For those on here who haven't read "rules for radicals" . . . the prologue of the book is in praise of Lucifer

" . . . we choose truth over facts . . . " anyone want to guess the author of that quote?
Is that the evil wizard?

FIFY

Last edited:
are you that naive to think gundy wasn't thinking about his contract and his security. gundy has millions of reasons to just apologize and move on. yes, in my opinion he lost his spine. drew brees did the same thing. apologize for self preservation. you can't really be that naive, friend. now, what happens, everyone goes to their corner. but gundy admitted he was wrong when he wasn't. now, coaches all over the country and going to be hypersensitive about saying anything that could be the least bit twisted. and what happens then? they shut up. they stop talking. and what is that called? suppressing free speech. you can't be that naive, can you?

People not wanting to look bad in the view of public opinion is not suppression of free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.