Mike Gundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should he be fired for wearing a shirt? I don't think so. He has already apologized for talking about OANN this year after it offended people, so this isn't the first time this has been discussed.

If his players refuse to play for him after the second time, do you think the school should let him go?

Last edited:
Should he be fired for wearing a shirt? I don't think so. He has already apologized for talking about OANN already this year after it offended people, so this isn't the first time this has been discussed.

If his players refuse to play for him after the second time, do you think the school should let him go?
That's up to the school I guess. It'd be an interesting stand off if the players were to hold their ground and the school back the coach...

So much for first amendment rights.

And the first amendment rights of Chuba Hubbard? Does he not have the right to hold and express his opinion of Mike Gundy's opinion? Or Mike Gundy himself?

This is two people both exercising their 1st Amentdment rights. The rights of neither man has been infringed upon. We should not celebrate one and denigrate the other. In supporting one, we must support both.

Thanks for that post Rob. I've casually been keeping up with this thread but was unfamiliar with OAN as I'd never heard of them. This whole thing makes much more sense now.

The country is really at a tipping point. It goes both ways where everyone should get a voice but it seems like more and more voices are being muffled or just not heard.

it looked like Grundy was fishing or boating and wasn’t dressed for an event and was a crappy t-shirt. What if he had on a Taylor Swift shirt and the player didn’t like Taylor Swift? What if a player shows up to a meeting wearing something that offends Gundy, will his voice be heard?

When did people get so offended by things such as a T shirt. I don’t like Bush Light beer but if I see someone wearing a shirt I don’t say anything. Who cares! Is it affecting my life no, will it No. it is most likely the case of this t-shirt as well, I dont get how someone wearing something is affecting or changing your life to that point.

We are all different and that is what makes us great

And the first amendment rights of Chuba Hubbard? Does he not have the right to hold and express his opinion of Mike Gundy's opinion? Or Mike Gundy himself?

This is two people both exercising their 1st Amentdment rights. The rights of neither man has been infringed upon. We should not celebrate one and denigrate the other. In supporting one, we must support both.
The difference being Hubbard is threatening to not live up to the scholarship he's signed over it... Sure he can disagree I'm sure they probably don't like the same kind of pop either but you can't go protesting against it and if you threaten to not play or transfer getting a special waver over it can you?

Can Gundy threaten to not coach if Hubbard says he'll vote for Biden? I mean that's where this sort of stuff is heading right? Obviously no he can't but I don't see much of a difference with what Hubbard is doing.

OAN is a problem but on the Black Lives Matter website, they call for the end of the nuclear family, ridding the country of "white supremacy" (whatever that means), and de-funding the police-a completely insane position- and those things are OK?

Ook. But this is just one woman right? Every single person on that network thinks that way? Does he? Not sure we know that or not. BLM has all sorts of crazy crap that they support too like defunding the police (which some media has given some credence to) And having whites pay reparations and I'm sure there's other ridiculous stuff too. But just because they have some of that going on doesn't make the gist of what they are trying to do or say not good... It's not always as black and white as that...

That's up to the school I guess. It'd be an interesting stand off if the players were to hold their ground and the school back the coach...

The problem for the school is that if they fire Gundy for this, they are (a) going to have to pay out his full contract because there is no way in hell an Oklahoma jury is gonna find cause to terminate based on that shirt, and (b) likely find themselves staring down the barrel of a First Amendment lawsuit with an employee who makes north of $5 million per year and can pile up massive damages. I suspect they would settle out and just agree not to try to push the "cause" route and take (b) off the table. T. Boone is the man who built that program and he is dead. Between The Germ and the loss of T. Boone, stroking a check for that buyout is gonna sting.

On the other hand, you have a classic attempt at pulling of a heckler's veto of Gundy's First Amendment rights. Unlike a lot of other heckler's vetoes, the people pushing it have substantial ability to inflict substantial harm to the school should it fail to capitulate. This is truly amazing.

So why dont you look in the mirror and see that your liberal bias is making you a hypocrit by doing the very things that you say you are against and come back to me and tell me I am the one that needs the help.
Please show some respect for Rob. This is his board and it is not productive to attack him in the way you did.

The problem for the school is that if they fire Gundy for this, they are (a) going to have to pay out his full contract because there is no way in hell an Oklahoma jury is gonna find cause to terminate based on that shirt, and (b) likely find themselves staring down the barrel of a First Amendment lawsuit with an employee who makes north of $5 million per year and can pile up massive damages. I suspect they would settle out and just agree not to try to push the "cause" route and take (b) off the table. T. Boone is the man who built that program and he is dead. Between The Germ and the loss of T. Boone, stroking a check for that buyout is gonna sting.

On the other hand, you have a classic attempt at pulling of a heckler's veto of Gundy's First Amendment rights. Unlike a lot of other heckler's vetoes, the people pushing it have substantial ability to inflict substantial harm to the school should it fail to capitulate. This is truly amazing.
Yeah this has some potential to be pretty interesting. Not sure how many years are on his contract and what his buyout is but man they can't outright fire him over it and as you said in that state with that leadership I just don't think they would. But if the players don't show up what's the schools recourse? Yank scholarships? If so at which point? Once they don't show up to mandatory practice? Or games? There's some folks doing some scrambling trying to figure out the dominos to something like this

Yeah, OK Rob. Just know that you were complicit in getting a man fired (Doyle) and really hampering if not ruining everything a kid worked for (Doyle) all because of twitter allegations without giving these guys their due process. You know that the power of the media is enough to ruin people's lives, yet, you want to stand back and use the whole "I am just a journalist doing my job" as an excuse for your recklessness. Your DJK story is truly criminal for a supposed un-biased journalist to do. And this post with Gundy, are you proud of that?

So why dont you look in the mirror and see that your liberal bias is making you a hypocrit by doing the very things that you say you are against and come back to me and tell me I am the one that needs the help. Or atleast call DJK first and ask him what you should do, you obviously listen to him.

I don't feel I did anything wrong. You do. I'm not going to waste our time trying to convince you otherwise.

Good luck with your White Lives Matter crusade. The mistreatment of the race has to stop.

The difference being Hubbard is threatening to not live up to the scholarship he's signed over it... Sure he can disagree I'm sure they probably don't like the same kind of pop either but you can't go protesting against it and if you threaten to not play or transfer getting a special waver over it can you?

Can Gundy threaten to not coach if Hubbard says he'll vote for Biden? I mean that's where this sort of stuff is heading right? Obviously no he can't but I don't see much of a difference with what Hubbard is doing.

Well, I'm not going to make assumptions about what does or does not constitute appropriate criteria for a special waiver. That was not my point, nor the point of the 1st Amendment. I was simply stating that both men have a right to express themselves and trying to attack either one on 1st Amendment grounds is impossible.

As to whether they both have the right to threaten those things, absolutely they do. Contractually obligated parties threaten such things all the time. That is also protected speech.

Following through on such threats is a whole different arena. OSU can withdraw Hubbard's scholarship. And if Grundy made such a threat as you hypothesized, OSU may be within their legal rights to fire him. Either could be considered breach of contract.

But they both have the right to say those things if they choose. Because of the 1st Amendment.

Well, I'm not going to make assumptions about what does or does not constitute appropriate criteria for a special waiver. That was not my point, nor the point of the 1st Amendment. I was simply stating that both men have a right to express themselves and trying to attack either one on 1st Amendment grounds is impossible.

As to whether they both have the right to threaten those things, absolutely they do. Contractually obligated parties threaten such things all the time. That is also protected speech.

Following through on such threats is a whole different arena. OSU can withdraw Hubbard's scholarship. And if Grundy made such a threat as you hypothesized, OSU may be within their legal rights to fire him. Either could be considered breach of contract.

But they both have the right to say those things if they choose. Because of the 1st Amendment.
Of course they can both talk all day long and nothing means anything till the rubber meets the road. So we'll see where that ends up being.

Yeah this has some potential to be pretty interesting. Not sure how many years are on his contract and what his buyout is but man they can't outright fire him over it and as you said in that state with that leadership I just don't think they would. But if the players don't show up what's the schools recourse? Yank scholarships? If so at which point? Once they don't show up to mandatory practice? Or games? There's some folks doing some scrambling trying to figure out the dominos to something like this

My guess is that the NCAA is going to open up a new transfer exemption immediately for those who feel aggrieved by racism and classy coaches like Nick Saban will be out there to make sure that gentlemen like this gentleman from Oklahoma State have somewhere safe to play football come the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts