Mike Gundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to see people speaking out about the rights of people in this country.
Should he be fired for wearing a shirt? I don't think so. He has already apologized for talking about OANN this year after it offended people, so this isn't the first time this has been discussed.

If his players refuse to play for him after the second time, do you think the school should let him go?
I wonder how many would be surprised to know that there were 9 unarmed black citizens killed by police in 2019. That is certainly a tragedy. They might also be surprised to know that there were 19 unarmed white citizens killed by police in that same year.

Maybe all of those shootings were unjustified. I have no way of knowing. Policing is a tough job. What I do know is that defunding police departments and pulling them out of communities will result in more crime and that the odds off getting shot by police drops to about .00000000000001% if you do not commit a crime.

It's good to see people speaking out about the rights of people in this country.

I completely agree.

Which is why you should be a bit more open to the fact that not everyone agrees with you.

And, not everyone who votes for President Trump in November is, as you say, a "Piece of Sh1t"

Dalton was nice...until the thug flashed the knife.

Then Dalton wasn't so nice anymore.

The leader of the house band in that movie was Jeff Healey, who would soon have a handful of radio hits, which were sang approximately 78,621 times in karaoke bars in the early nineties.

Keep in mind, anyone who has the audacity to vote for Trump is a "Deplorable" (the Honorable Hillary Clinton).
And all who voted for Trump are "Pieces of Shit" (Rob Howe)
Neither seem to realize that when you have the choice of voting for two "pieces of shit", you have to make a choice on which one is the least smelly.. I think life is sacred at all stages and for that reason alone, I will always vote Republican.
Let the barrage of criticism and scorn begin. Adios

Donald Trump is a complete idiot and piece of shit of a human being. He might be the only republican that could lose to Joe Biden. We're all fucked.

Trump is not a Republican, he merely had to use their apparatus to get to power because he knew the DNC would lock him out. I don't think that someone who took down the Bush political machine and the Clinton political machine is an idiot. Anyway, if Trump was a modern Republican, he would be kowtowing to China and listening to his Chamber of Commerce overlords and allowing massive immigration to undercut American labor's market power to increase the profit margins of the guys who actually call the shots in the old line political parties. The Democrats were co-opted by that same Chamber of Commerce talking point list in '92. Man, I miss the Democrats of yesteryear before they got co-opted. The level of groupthink we get out of DC on these really big macro issues that are absolutely going to wreak havoc on our childrens' lives is very disturbing.

So yeah, I'll agree with you that we're all fucked, but it ain't because of Trump or anything that has happened since January 20, 2017. We're fucked because we offshored giant swaths of our capital base to an incredibly hostile communist enemy that has no respect for human life and a centuries old hatred of the West spurred because of assholes from Britain. We're fucked because our own infrastructure and key assets are held by multinational corporations that have literally no loyalty to the United States and that believe the key to their growth and survival is by dealing with that regime that I mentioned in the sentence above. We're fucked because we have spent 3 decades allowing those same multinational corporations to have their key intellectual property and information technology functions completely taken over by people on H1B visas (many of whom also have no loyalty to the US) for the sole purpose of driving wages down. We're fucked because we have a gigantic military budget that is building toys to fight the last war rather than the next one, which doesn't involve brute force. I could go on, but I think you can get the point.

Anyway, you're my brother and I love you. Hopefully, my pessimism about the future of the world we are handing our children won't be recognized as American hegemony fades, but as of now, I feel very fortunate that my boy can speak a couple of languages and we can head out if shit actually gets too bad in the US.

What I do know is that defunding police departments and pulling them out of communities will result in more crime and that the odds off getting shot by police drops to about .00000000000001% if you do not commit a crime.
I'd like to see your proof of this. I haven't seen any studies that show this to be true.

“When we talk about defunding the police, what we're saying is invest in the resources that our communities need,” Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC News’ “Meet the Press.” “So much of policing right now is generated and directed towards quality-of-life issues, homelessness, drug addiction, domestic violence. … But what we do need is increased funding for housing, we need increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion...0200615-fvqkukbngbb2bko3tev5fq52oe-story.html

I'd like to see your proof of this. I haven't seen any studies that show this to be true.

Did you ever visit Chicago in the '80's or early '90's? Have you seen the murder rates? How about NYC before Giuliani became mayor? Did you happen to notice how much nicer they became toward the end of the '90's? American cities were absolute shitholes before they drastically expanded the size of the police forces. But alas, the new generation will have to make the same mistake of the past before they realize how bad of an idea it is. The cleaning up of American cities is, IMHO, one of Bill Clinton's signature accomplishments. He really did a remarkable job on that front with aid from the federal government.

Here is something from the DOJ on it. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/pdlc00.pdf

I think life is sacred at all stages and for that reason alone, I will always vote Republican.
Hahah the same Repubs that seem to care so much about pre-birth stop giving a shit the moment they are born. After that, F em - keep em dumb so we can build as much wealth off their backs as possible. If they die, well, there will be more.

Keep in mind, anyone who has the audacity to vote for Trump is a "Deplorable" (the Honorable Hillary Clinton).
And all who voted for Trump are "Pieces of Shit" (Rob Howe)
Neither seem to realize that when you have the choice of voting for two "pieces of shit", you have to make a choice on which one is the least smelly.. I think life is sacred at all stages and for that reason alone, I will always vote Republican.
Let the barrage of criticism and scorn begin. Adios

All life is sacred if they look like you. Otherwise, the Republican party has proven time and again that it only believes life is sacred when it means controlling one's choice.

Did you ever visit Chicago in the '80's or early '90's? Have you seen the murder rates? How about NYC before Giuliani became mayor? Did you happen to notice how much nicer they became toward the end of the '90's? American cities were absolute shitholes before they drastically expanded the size of the police forces. But alas, the new generation will have to make the same mistake of the past before they realize how bad of an idea it is. The cleaning up of American cities is, IMHO, one of Bill Clinton's signature accomplishments. He really did a remarkable job on that front with aid from the federal government.

Here is something from the DOJ on it. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/pdlc00.pdf
Crime decreased almost everywhere during that time period, even in places where there wasn't an increased police presence. You're leaving out the fact that in many areas other services were cut to those places at the same time... water, electricity, garbage. I don't see anyone advocating for that. You're also not mentioning where those cut funds would go instead:
"Increase funding for housing, increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled.” as I quoted in my previous post.

This is the exact opposite of what happened in those "shithole" areas that you mention. They were ignored.

After trying to shame me for a "lie of omission" in another thread, I didn't expect you to do the same here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-dont-mean-less-crime-experts-say/2818056002/

All life is sacred if they look like you. Otherwise, the Republican party has proven time and again that it only believes life is sacred when it means controlling one's choice.

Yes, we all remember that little skirmish the Democrats started back in 1861 to preserve their choice to own slaves. That asshat Lincoln was anti-choice. Here, let me respond for you: "Buh buh buh buh, mah party switch!"

Crime decreased almost everywhere during that time period, even in places where there wasn't an increased police presence. You're leaving out the fact that in many areas other services were cut to those places at the same time... water, electricity, garbage. I don't see anyone advocating for that. You're also not mentioning where those cut funds would go instead:
"Increase funding for housing, increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled.” as I quoted in my previous post.

This is the exact opposite of what happened in those "shithole" areas that you mention. They were ignored.

After trying to shame me for a "lie of omission" in another thread, I didn't expect you to do the same here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-dont-mean-less-crime-experts-say/2818056002/

Look, I'm not going to argue that crime is strictly a univariate model with the number of cops being the sole function of crime rates, so sorry if you took it that way. Certain "services" were "cut" because several major cities have taken huge steps to depopulate the absolutely atrocious failed housing project model. As an example, a not insignificant portion of Chicago's population decline in the past 20 years has been a result of decisions to tear down projects like Cabrini Green and the Robert Taylor Homes and provide relocation assistance to the people who lived there.

Crime rates, like "global warming" and the stock market are functions of complicated multivariate models and we have no idea what every variable in the models should be, so you can go out and find anything you want that confirms your existing biases. None of it is "proof" in any statistically significant sense one way or the other. One great thing about America is you are free to vote either in the ballot box or with your feet to live in a town with a tiny police presence if you think that it is a good idea. I personally don't think it is a good idea, but if the fine folks at Gannett who own USA Today say it is a good idea, it must be a good idea I guess.

Well Rob, I have enjoyed this website but you comments about President Trump are beyond the pale. John Gillenwater, LTC, United States Army, Retired
Well Rob, I have enjoyed this website but you comments about President Trump are beyond the pale. John Gillenwater, LTC, United States Army, Retired

I'm glad you had to let us know about your military service as if it means something special or entitles you to special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out! I'm sorry your were used as a pawn for our government and big money in the name of freedom and patriotism.

Look, I'm not going to argue that crime is strictly a univariate model with the number of cops being the sole function of crime rates, so sorry if you took it that way. Certain "services" were "cut" because several major cities have taken huge steps to depopulate the absolutely atrocious failed housing project model. As an example, a not insignificant portion of Chicago's population decline in the past 20 years has been a result of decisions to tear down projects like Cabrini Green and the Robert Taylor Homes and provide relocation assistance to the people who lived there.

Crime rates, like "global warming" and the stock market are functions of complicated multivariate models and we have no idea what every variable in the models should be, so you can go out and find anything you want that confirms your existing biases. None of it is "proof" in any statistically significant sense one way or the other. One great thing about America is you are free to vote either in the ballot box or with your feet to live in a town with a tiny police presence if you think that it is a good idea. I personally don't think it is a good idea, but if the fine folks at Gannett who own USA Today say it is a good idea, it must be a good idea I guess.
Similar to global warming, I just don't understand why people are so gung-ho about being reactive to crime (by investing billions into police forces) but at the same time don't support being proactive by reducing the biggest causes.

Of course ALL of the variables surrounding crime are complex, but there are some very obvious and main causes that could use attention. Poverty, education, unemployment, drug or alcohol addiction, unfair judicial system, mental health. These are areas that we can improve.

Dallas's "Right Care" program seems like a good idea.

“When we talk about defunding the police, what we're saying is invest in the resources that our communities need,” Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza told NBC News’ “Meet the Press.” “So much of policing right now is generated and directed towards quality-of-life issues, homelessness, drug addiction, domestic violence. … But what we do need is increased funding for housing, we need increased funding for education, we need increased funding for quality of life of communities who are over-policed and over-surveilled.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion...0200615-fvqkukbngbb2bko3tev5fq52oe-story.html

Chicago crime rate and murder rate among Blacks is off the charts. Illinois spends more per student (up to 40% more) than its' neighboring Midwestern States. Republican have been advocating for years, vouchers for poor families so they can attend the schools of their choice. (Dems have fought tooth and nail) Trillions have been spent on the "Great Society" programs started back in the 60's. The result has been the creation of millions of dependents, White and Black.

Go ahead and defund Police Departments and scale back their presence in some of these cities. We'll see how that goes. There are far bigger problems in our society than "over policing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts