Mike Gesell Video

Compare/contrast to this Anthony Clemmons video posted in another thread. Could be an interesting battle for the starting PG position. Gesell's good but Clemmons will certainly push him. Will be nice to have a little depth at that position for once, even if they are both true freshmen.

Nothing in this video screams "amazing" to me.

Lol were you expecting him to look like a white Lebron James or what? We are still Iowa, you do realize that right? He is a much better PG already compared to anyone who has worn a Hawk jersey in recent history. Which means it is a big step in the right direction. Had you watched him play in the North vs South All-Star Game you would have been impressed. He had the announcers talking about him the entire game and was even mentio Ed at the end as being a Co-MVP because of how well he was getting his teammates involved.

I suggest you start cheering for Kentucky, Duke, or UNC if you want to see "amazing".

Last edited:
I said "recent history". Hell no he isn't better than Dean Oliver or Jeff Horner. Certainly not at this point. He's a heck of a lot more well-rounded than any PG we've had in the past several seasons.

I said "recent history". Hell no he isn't better than Dean Oliver or Jeff Horner. Certainly not at this point. He's a heck of a lot more well-rounded than any PG we've had in the past several seasons.

I wouldn' t say that he's not better than Dean or Jeff at the same point in his career. Only time will tell, but from what I have seen, I honestly think he has the most rounded / complete game of the 3 at the same point in their career.

I would agree with you there. I just meant I wasn't saying that he's going to be the next Dean Oliver or Jeff Horner. Time will tell on that one. He definitely has the potential to be, and at this point he's comparable to where they were.

I wouldn' t say that he's not better than Dean or Jeff at the same point in his career. Only time will tell, but from what I have seen, I honestly think he has the most rounded / complete game of the 3 at the same point in their career.

He seems like a combination of Oliver and Horner. He probably shoots a bit better than Dean from the outside but not as well as Horner. I would say he is more comparable to Horner but not quite as big. Dean was much quicker offensively and defensively.

You're comparing him to two guys that were 4 year starters for Iowa...I'm not sure that is fair to him. He may not even be the best pg in his recruiting class. Time will tell.

Mike Gesell has the ability to be as good a point guard as we have ever had at Iowa, including Ronnie Lester and BJ Armstrong. Not only that but Adam Woodbury has the potential to be the best center at Iowa since Don Nelson.....

Merely two cents worth of idle speculation and time spent whiling away the day.....

:)

to have a pg that the defence has to gaurd past 10ft will be nice, and should help out all the other players

Mike Gesell has the ability to be as good a point guard as we have ever had at Iowa, including Ronnie Lester and BJ Armstrong. Not only that but Adam Woodbury has the potential to be the best center at Iowa since Don Nelson.....

Merely two cents worth of idle speculation and time spent whiling away the day.....

:)

Mike Gesell has a "chance" of this happening to the same extent I have a "chance" with Charlize Theron.

Look, I'm pumped about Gesell. But Ronnie Lester was a once-in-a-lifetime player. It's like calling CJ Beathard the next Chuck Long.

He certainly played other teams centers very well, Jerry Lucas and Walt Bellemy among others, Duff.....

As far as I know he played center for the Hawks at times. Remember listening to him outplay Jerry Lucas at Ohio State, one of the better Hawkeye basketball games ever, in my opinion.....

:D

nelson wasn't a center
Here you go, Duff.....

Nelson-182x225.jpg
Co-captain forward/center Don Nelson (15), a 6-foot-6, 190-pound Hawkeye senior from Rock Island, Ill., shows his hook shot in this 1961 photo. Nelson played at Iowa from 1959-1962 and was a three-time team MVP. His 1,522 career points for the Hawkeyes was not topped until Ronnie Lester's senior year in 1980. Nelson played in the National Basketball Association (NBA) from 1962-1976, scoring 10,898 points, grabbing 5,192 rebounds and dishing out 1,526 assists. He also coached in the NBA: Milwaukee Bucks (1976-1987), New York Knicks (1995-1996), Dallas Mavericks (1997-2005), and Golden State Warriors (2006-2010). (The Gazette)

Mike Gesell has a "chance" of this happening to the same extent I have a "chance" with Charlize Theron.

Look, I'm pumped about Gesell. But Ronnie Lester was a once-in-a-lifetime player. It's like calling CJ Beathard the next Chuck Long.
Glad you are pumped about Mike Gesell's potential. Me too.....

No worries about Charlize, she wouldn't even look at you, guaranteed, bro....

Last edited:

Latest posts