Mike Gesell Video

I wouldn' t say that he's not better than Dean or Jeff at the same point in his career. Only time will tell, but from what I have seen, I honestly think he has the most rounded / complete game of the 3 at the same point in their career.
He seems like a combination of Oliver and Horner. He probably shoots a bit better than Dean from the outside but not as well as Horner. I would say he is more comparable to Horner but not quite as big. Dean was much quicker offensively and defensively. You're comparing him to two guys that were 4 year starters for Iowa...I'm not sure that is fair to him. He may not even be the best pg in his recruiting class. Time will tell.

I'm comparing him to 2 former 4 year starters before they set foot on campus. I think he is currently at that level. Where he goes from here is up to him and his body. Also, if another freshman beats him out for other than health reasons, there is a decent chance that freshman might have done the same to Dean or Jeff had he played in those eras.

I'm comparing him to 2 former 4 year starters before they set foot on campus. I think he is currently at that level. Where he goes from here is up to him and his body. Also, if another freshman beats him out for other than health reasons, there is a decent chance that freshman might have done the same to Dean or Jeff had he played in those eras.

IMO he is not on the same level athletically as Oliver. Oliver was unbelievably quick and was a great defender. I remember when Oliver played, as soon as he went to the bench teams would put on the press and then as soon as he returned they would fall back to half court. He was a one man press breaker.

Don't get me wrong, he has a ton of potential though. Oliver made the league even if it was only for a short time. To be 5'11" and in the league is quite an accomplishment.

He just doesn't look that explosive to me. I feel he will have a hard time with black pgs.

I'm guessing that's what you meant, but didn't want to perpetuate a stereotype. Afterall, Steve Nash and John Stockton had trouble with athletic PGs. Oh wait, by me bringing those two names into the discussion people are going to think I'm comparing MG to those names. I'm pretty good at this.

I'm guessing that's what you meant, but didn't want to perpetuate a stereotype. Afterall, Steve Nash and John Stockton had trouble with athletic PGs. Oh wait, by me bringing those two names into the discussion people are going to think I'm comparing MG to those names. I'm pretty good at this.

I don't think that's what he meant. Watch some video of the kid and he isn't blowing anyone away with his athletic ability. He is saavy and smart. He is a good athlete for the college level but he probably has average athleticism for his position. (Average means there are some black and white pg's that are not as athletic and some that are moreseo). Gesell falls somewhere in the middle. It's not race related.

My statement was that he is on par with Horner but not as quick and athletic as Oliver. I stand by that statement. Not because of skin color, because I have seen them both play in high school and Oliver was quicker.

Every PG who isn't a disgustingly quick athlete too has trouble with the 'more athletic' point guards. Sometimes that phrase is a bit cliché on these posts.
MG seems more athletic and explosive than Horner but definitely not as quick as Dean was though he already appears to be a much better shooter than Oliver ever was (which has already been mentioned more than once). Had Oliver ever developed his outside shot more, considering his quickness, he'd have had more than just his 'cup of coffee' in the NBA

I think of J.J. Barea every time I watch his clips. Will he be that good? Probably not. Will be fun to see.

Mike Gesell has a "chance" of this happening to the same extent I have a "chance" with Charlize Theron.

Look, I'm pumped about Gesell. But Ronnie Lester was a once-in-a-lifetime player. It's like calling CJ Beathard the next Chuck Long.
You are correct about Ronnie Lester, Wundergrape, as far as I am concerned he is the best point guard I have seen play for the Hawks. BJ Armstrong is a close second in my opinion. I did make a bold statement about Mike Gesell. To be on the same level as those two is a tall order, huge shoes to fill. I just have a feeling about Mike. I think he is going to be one of the best ever, perhaps worthy of comparison to Ronnie and BJ. We shall see.....

Dean Oliver and Jeff Horner are next in line for me. If Mike G. is does as well as Dean and Jeff, I will be very pleased. I do believe he and the rest of the incoming class are one of the best we have had at Iowa, especially considering how they fit into Fran's plan. He has skillfully chosen the players who can play his system with intensity and ability. Big things are coming with the nucleus we already have.....

Sorry about the wisea$$ comment. I tend to get defensive on the forums.....

:)

You are correct about Ronnie Lester, Wundergrape, as far as I am concerned he is the best point guard I have seen play for the Hawks. BJ Armstrong is a close second in my opinion. I did make a bold statement about Mike Gesell. To be on the same level as those two is a tall order, huge shoes to fill. I just have a feeling about Mike. I think he is going to be one of the best ever, perhaps worthy of comparison to Ronnie and BJ. We shall see.....

Dean Oliver and Jeff Horner are next in line for me. If Mike G. is does as well as Dean and Jeff, I will be very pleased. I do believe he and the rest of the incoming class are one of the best we have had at Iowa, especially considering how they fit into Fran's plan. He has skillfully chosen the players who can play his system with intensity and ability. Big things are coming with the nucleus we already have.....

i am offended and gonna bodyslam you !!!!! just kidding . you`re my boy!

Here you go, Duff.....

Nelson-182x225.jpg
Co-captain forward/center Don Nelson (15), a 6-foot-6, 190-pound Hawkeye senior from Rock Island, Ill., shows his hook shot in this 1961 photo. Nelson played at Iowa from 1959-1962 and was a three-time team MVP. His 1,522 career points for the Hawkeyes was not topped until Ronnie Lester's senior year in 1980. Nelson played in the National Basketball Association (NBA) from 1962-1976, scoring 10,898 points, grabbing 5,192 rebounds and dishing out 1,526 assists. He also coached in the NBA: Milwaukee Bucks (1976-1987), New York Knicks (1995-1996), Dallas Mavericks (1997-2005), and Golden State Warriors (2006-2010). (The Gazette)

:D
i like the I on the short

Jack, considering you just turned 75 a few weeks back, might be time to reduce the number of bong hits you consume.

Latest posts