Mike Brey looking to step down at the end of the season at ND

Correct, it's much more empty. Their stadium only seats 9,100 fans and the last few games had 6,216 tickets sold, 4,502 tickets sold, 6,105 tickets sold, and 6,151 tickets sold. They averaged 7,200 fans per game last year.

This very well be a reason Brey is stepping away at the end. I know it's the demise of a lot of coaches. The schools look at attendance. Maybe there was a mutual conversation. Only suspecting.

Just read a good article on The Athletic. Probably written by the writer who covers ND but not sure. Anyway, he lists nine candidates but did not include FM. Interestingly, he lists Darian DeVries from Drake and Micah Shrewsberry from Penn State.

Devries has done an outstanding job in that situation. So has TJ Otzelberger at IA St.

Well, Fran is the same age as Brey, who is retiring....I think they look younger for sure, just can't completely count it out with his ties.

The most likely scenario in all of this has nothing to do with a job elsewhere.

I’ll put cash money down that Fran is gonna finish coaching Jack and then retire in Iowa City. Fran and his wife are super intertwined with the children’s hospital and all of their kids have grown up here. The family is rooted here.

I’ll put cash money down that Fran is gonna finish coaching Jack and then retire in Iowa City. Fran and his wife are super intertwined with the children’s hospital and all of their kids have grown up here. The family is rooted here.
I agree. Maybe 5-6 years ago his ND roots were stronger than his IC ones. Not anymore.

The Notre Dame Basketball Coach is a good job but not a blue blood position. The biggest drawback is finding recruits that meet the minimum eligibility for entrance. You're not going to find a coach on the level of a Bill Self or John Calipari interested in the job because of the drawback. Jay Wright, the retired Villinova coach, would be the kind of coach they would like to hire.

I find there to be a real low probability ND would want to hire Fran at this stage of his career.

As for Fran, this is a lateral move at best. ND, like Iowa, will always be a football first school, but Iowa has more MBB success and support. He also has a very hands off AD and low media scrutiny.

I get why his name is coming up, and if I am Fran, I don't immediately dispel the rumors. He deserves a pay bump, especially if he can continue to steer the current squad to another tournament appearance. He is for sure a top half of the conference coach and should be paid as such.

I am not particularly worried about Fran leaving. He has a good thing going at Iowa. I don't see him uprooting now. We shall see.
Yup and nobody should blame him if he plays this out in that kind of way. That's just how they go about the business. If I'm Iowa I'd renegotiate his deal and extend him through 2028 and that could very well be Frans swan song.

I find there to be a real low probability ND would want to hire Fran at this stage of his career.

As for Fran, this is a lateral move at best. ND, like Iowa, will always be a football first school, but Iowa has more MBB success and support. He also has a very hands off AD and low media scrutiny.

I get why his name is coming up, and if I am Fran, I don't immediately dispel the rumors. He deserves a pay bump, especially if he can continue to steer the current squad to another tournament appearance. He is for sure a top half of the conference coach and should be paid as such.

I am not particularly worried about Fran leaving. He has a good thing going at Iowa. I don't see him uprooting now. We shall see.
Not only is Iowa football first, it's wrestling second. Thats what basketball really competes against. Then comes men's basketball. It rankled Alford, but Steve when he was here was 25 years younger than Fran is now, and much more upwardly mobile.

Other than getting out of the first weekend of March Madness (which I get is a really big thing), Fran has been incredibly successful the last few seasons. Between Garza, Weiscamp, and the Murray twins, winning the conference tourney, and finishing high in the conference regular season standings, Iowa's program is in very good shape.

I worry greatly that the good run is coming to an end though. We saw what we were without Murray earlier this season. He will not be here next year. We also lose Flip and Connor, at least. I like what we have coming back and in, but I don't see real difference makers there. Absent a portal infusion, which doesn't seem likely, its hard to see this team continuing the success of the last 4 seasons.
Enjoy this season while they're still here. Worry about next year when the time comes.

Just read a good article on The Athletic. Probably written by the writer who covers ND but not sure. Anyway, he lists nine candidates but did not include FM. Interestingly, he lists Darian DeVries from Drake and Micah Shrewsberry from Penn State.
Any of them with temper/drama issues? That might be the biggest issue more than age.

DeVries would be a good hire.

Other than getting out of the first weekend of March Madness (which I get is a really big thing), Fran has been incredibly successful the last few seasons. Between Garza, Weiscamp, and the Murray twins, winning the conference tourney, and finishing high in the conference regular season standings, Iowa's program is in very good shape.

I worry greatly that the good run is coming to an end though. We saw what we were without Murray earlier this season. He will not be here next year. We also lose Flip and Connor, at least. I like what we have coming back and in, but I don't see real difference makers there. Absent a portal infusion, which doesn't seem likely, its hard to see this team continuing the success of the last 4 seasons.
That is also my worry. Good time to bolt. Then again most of us didn't see Garza or the Murray twins coming. Uthoff transferring in helped. I guess you just never know.

That is also my worry. Good time to bolt. Then again most of us didn't see Garza or the Murray twins coming. Uthoff transferring in helped. I guess you just never know.
Iowa has some great classes and players coming in and NIL is now in play, Iowa basketball is as healthy as it’s ever been. Fran falls out of bed in the top half of the B1G.

I agree. Maybe 5-6 years ago his ND roots were stronger than his IC ones. Not anymore.
The old adage that timing is everything I think applies here. That's it to me. Fran is 63. Has coached 2 kids here with one on the way. It'll be Jacks sr yr next yr. Jack has literally done all his growing up in IC. He want to uproot him now? How much more $ would it take for that to be considered? I could see Fran playing that card to get himself a raise but I don't seriously think he'd leave.

Shoot what roots are there to ND really? In terms of people he'd be working for/with I mean. It's been so long since he was there none of those folks would be there. Does where Frans wife played matter? Eh... Not in comparison to having 13 plus yrs of roots in IC now would with 4 kids I wouldn't think.

Not to mention would ND want him? I would think they'd be looking for a younger up and coming guy. Replacing a 63 yr old with a 63 yr old seems like a sidewaysish move to me that the fan base wouldn't be all about

Iowa has some great classes and players coming in and NIL is now in play, Iowa basketball is as healthy as it’s ever been. Fran falls out of bed in the top half of the B1G.

The recruiting class coming in is top 30, but there is no one that will have an immediate impact. The Swarm will have to spend money to get some dudes…otherwise you are looking at hitting the reset button for a year.

IMO, Fran has earned that reset button year, but there is still not a lot of love for him among the fan base. I don’t think he is going anywhere, however; I could understand if he wanted to ride it out in South Bend.

I really like Fran, and think he's done a great job, but how would he even be on Notre Dame's top 10 wish list? Now they very well may end up with a coach who turns out not to be on the same level as Fran, but they at least need to sell some hope. Get rid of a long time 60+ year old Power 5 coach with a conference title and 3 sweet 16s, and replace him with a long time 60+ year old Power 5 coach with no conference titles and zero sweet 16s?

Would love to see Connor go somewhere else to start his coaching career after he is done and come back somewhere down the line after Fran is done. I think he will be a great head coach some day.

Saw a really heart-warming moment today at the Iowa/Nebby woman's game. Fran and Patrick were in the tunnel watching the end of the women's game together and they were looking very much a father and son just talking about life. Patrick was in uniform and talking and watching the game. A young boy who must have knew Patrick came over and was begging Patrick to play and he smiled. I'm sure this is unchartered waters for Fran and no father really knows what to say and how to act in this situation which can be very uncomfortable and troubling. I can't make the game tomorrow but I sincerely hope even if Patrick doesn't play the crowd acknowledges Patrick with a standing ovation and outpouring of love and empathy.