Mika'il McCall felt Iowa handed him everything

I don't view his comment as negative to Iowa at all.

I don't think he's blaming losing his work ethic on Iowa. I read it as: he lost his work ethic - in spite of the support he got at Iowa. In the new environment he's had to earn his way back from scratch. A healthy wake-up call.

"Handed to me" could simply refer to his early success at getting playing time. That can easily go to an immature young man's head.

As you said, I don't think he had anything against Iowa really at all. I like your interpretation of things. He told me once that it just didn't seem like the right fit, and I believe that is all there is to it. Just didn't feel comfortable, and was ready for a change, a new scenery, and had no hard feeling about Iowa at all... except for maybe being promised he would play for weeks and not getting a chance haha.

What does it say about his character?
He needed to "have things hard," before he could feel motivated to work harder?
Why couldn't he appreciate what he had at Iowa, and roll with it...?

Good grief, when if football season again???

I was going to say at the end of summer, but that's like a two week stretch of sun where you're at so it's more difficult to describe. Just keep an eye out for all the boats congregated near the stadium on Lake Washington in a couple months and you'll know it's time.

On Facebook, Mika'il McCall added new photos of his physique as he has gained more muscle this off season from working out. There were the usual comments about his body like "wow" but there were a couple other comments.

One user wrote- "Could have done the same at Iowa. Not hating just saying. Good luck man."

Mika'il responded- "Honestly i don't think so becuase I lost my work ethic when i came to iowa. I got it back here because everything isn't handed to me."

Interesting comment. It appears he is saying that at Iowa he didn't really have to work for anything, perhaps because he was promised something or guaranteed something on a silver platter?

I don't know for sure, but interesting nonetheless. What do ya'll make of it? Just a comment to prove loyalty to his new school, or something more?

Look at his family history vis-a-vis "odd behavior", and you have your answer to the question...i.e., always somebody else's fault, didn't get fair treatment, never got a chance, officials robbed him...blah blah blah...

We simply don't know what happens behind the scenes with players and coaches. Sort of like a job, when someone moves on you might have two completely differing opinions from both sides re: how or why it happened.

Whatever the reason may be, he is no longer at Iowa. And chances are, he may not be real high on the Hawks right now related to any comments he makes. On the flip side, maybe the coaches saw something they did not like. Who knows what really goes on. I think it is easy to forget (I have to stop an catch myself sometimes) these are 18-21 year olds (I feel old just by writing that :) ...) ... Lots of things are going through your mind when you are that age. The bottomline is it did not work out. Both parties have moved on ... And so honestly, it really is not worth trying to look too much into a brief comment he may have made on his Facebook page ... or Twitter, etc. I think as fans we sometimes get caught up in the words and actions of "kids" ... (Apologies for any fans in their 20s becaus ethey are more like peers to you) ... But for older fans (I am in my early 40s) ... I try not to decipher what an 18 year is saying on his Facebook page or Twitter account.

What does it say about his character?
He needed to "have things hard," before he could feel motivated to work harder?
Why couldn't he appreciate what he had at Iowa, and roll with it...?
I think Hawkeye27's comment about him disappearing from class pretty much tells the story, of course maybe he had already made up his mind by then. I also don't think his comment here was particularly negative toward Iowa. It really doesn't make much sense. If you are handed everything you need to succeed, why do you lose your work ethic? Good lord, they had him back ready to play football several weeks after what was supposed to be a season ending injury.

Not sure how things were handed to him when he was cleared to play but they still didn't play him for a few weeks. Pretty sure that is the opposite of handing something to someone. He also got one play after that right before he was yanked and not put back it. That is also the opposite of handing it to someone.

I think Hawkeye27's comment about him disappearing from class pretty much tells the story, of course maybe he had already made up his mind by then. I also don't think his comment here was particularly negative toward Iowa. It really doesn't make much sense. If you are handed everything you need to succeed, why do you lose your work ethic? Good lord, they had him back ready to play football several weeks after what was supposed to be a season ending injury.

Pretty much...

I wish him well in whatever he does.

Having said that thank God/Allah/Universe/Deity of your choice that life does not revolve around the mind of an 18 or 20 year old.

06-29-2012 02:33 PMHawkeye27
A sample of SIUC run game. (Mika'il McCall) - YouTube

Video of him at siu right now.

Wow.

Well aparently U of I didn't hand out grades or starting positions, so I'm not sure what he is insinuating. Also, his father was a professional boxer who made lots of $ so having things handed to him may be something he was used to. If your trying to have me believe KF is easier going than the coaching staff @ SIU I'm calling B.S.. We have all read about how Doyles' workouts are legendary and this is coming from professional fb players and some doctors;) so it sounds like sour grapes and possibly self-motivation. I wish this kid had kept his head on straight at IA cause watching his vids are impressive to say the least. My hope for him is he grows up and uses his god-given potential to the fullest. After the last few years I now understand why the NCAA did not let freshman play back in the day, many simply are mature enough to handle what comes with it, and looking back If I would have been so talented I probably would have stubbed my toe as well.

Latest posts