Men's Hoops Non-Con Schedule

Northwestern was hit hard by graduation losses. Collins has his work cut out for him this year.

Nebraska looks poised to make a run at the top tier of the conference this year. Every move Miles has made since the end of 2017, starting with basically showing three players the door, has improved the team and atmosphere. And that new arena is rapidly becoming a tough place to play.

Shows what can happen when an AD demands more than status quo and creates a sense of urgency. And they've got two transfers sitting out (or are they eligible, not sure with all the transfer rules.) Either way an interesting team to watch for this season.

Tim miles has still only made 1 ncaa appearance in 6 years...as an 11 seed. Things are looking up in Nebby but they still have to put it all together

Tim miles has still only made 1 ncaa appearance in 6 years...as an 11 seed. Things are looking up in Nebby but they still have to put it all together
And a quick exit in his one appearance. That was the Shavon Shields-Benny Parker- Petteway group.

I like what he's done since the end of 2017, when the AD put him on notice. He dismissed players, added jucos, transfers, grad transfers. And there's more where that came from, for both this year and next year. I won't go on because everyone knows where I would go with this next and it's been discussed before and it's a tired narrative. Let's just say they look physically and athletically superior when they match up with us.

Northwestern was hit hard by graduation losses. Collins has his work cut out for him this year.

Nebraska looks poised to make a run at the top tier of the conference this year. Every move Miles has made since the end of 2017, starting with basically showing three players the door, has improved the team and atmosphere. And that new arena is rapidly becoming a tough place to play.

Shows what can happen when an AD demands more than status quo and creates a sense of urgency. And they've got two transfers sitting out (or are they eligible, not sure with all the transfer rules.) Either way an interesting team to watch for this season.

That wasn't very smart of the AD not to demand more earlier. Could have saved them a lot of years of terrible basketball. At least now they will always be awesome now that he finally decided to demand more.

That wasn't very smart of the AD not to demand more earlier. Could have saved them a lot of years of terrible basketball. At least now they will always be awesome now that he finally decided to demand more.
Expectations are funny that way. When you set a low bar...you get low results. But hey, Gutless Gary didn't "break" Iowa basketball, so...we should be happy with what we get.

The point I'm trying to make is that they are in step with the modern ways of trying to improve a basketball program, i.e. jucos, transfers, grad transfers, things that seem to be taboo around here. We end up with an unbalanced roster issue in terms of both classes and positions.

The second point I'm trying to make is that Nebraska and Penn State have surpassed us as basketball programs based off of last year, not the history of the programs. And that it is up to Fran to reverse that.

The third point I've been making all offf season is that we lacked effort last year in addition to not being very good. Did you see how hard and spirited traditional blue blood teams like Loyola and Nevada played in the tournament last year. I'll bet their athletic budgets and facilities pale to ours. Yet there they were making serious runs.

Our athletic director, on the other hand, is perfectly satisfied with what we got. He hasnt been watching Iowa basketball since the Sky King years. I have. And I've never seen a more collectively pathetic effort than last year's team. And if you don't believe my sorry ass, ask Bobby Hansen, who's ass is anything but sorry.

The point I'm trying to make is that they are in step with the modern ways of trying to improve a basketball program, i.e. jucos, transfers, grad transfers, things that seem to be taboo around here. We end up with an unbalanced roster issue in terms of both classes and positions.

The second point I'm trying to make is that Nebraska and Penn State have surpassed us as basketball programs based off of last year, not the history of the programs. And that it is up to Fran to reverse that.

The third point I've been making all offf season is that we lacked effort last year in addition to not being very good. Did you see how hard and spirited traditional blue blood teams like Loyola and Nevada played in the tournament last year. I'll bet their athletic budgets and facilities pale to ours. Yet there they were making serious runs.

Our athletic director, on the other hand, is perfectly satisfied with what we got. He hasnt been watching Iowa basketball since the Sky King years. I have. And I've never seen a more collectively pathetic effort than last year's team. And if you don't believe my sorry ass, ask Bobby Hansen, who's ass is anything but sorry.

First point- I agree with.

Second point- it's ridiculous to say a program passed us based on one year.

Third point- if those two teams were making runs every year, it would mean something. Different random teams making a good run one year then disappearing after means nothing. There will usually be a Cinderella team each year. It doesn't mean that team decided to have higher expectations that one year, then decided to lower them again after. I do agree that last year's effort was horrible tho. They had high expectations and gave up when they knew they couldn't be met. That's fairly common in college sports. It sucks when it happens to us tho. Like '10 in football.

Expectations are funny that way. When you set a low bar...you get low results. But hey, Gutless Gary didn't "break" Iowa basketball, so...we should be happy with what we get.

So all you have to do is look at the top 25 each year to see what order programs expectations were that year? I agree that program expectations have a bit of a say in how good a team is, bit its like some people think that's all it takes to be great. Just decide you want to be.

First point- I agree with.

Second point- it's ridiculous to say a program passed us based on one year.

Third point- if those two teams were making runs every year, it would mean something. Different random teams making a good run one year then disappearing after means nothing. There will usually be a Cinderella team each year. It doesn't mean that team decided to have higher expectations that one year, then decided to lower them again after. I do agree that last year's effort was horrible tho. They had high expectations and gave up when they knew they couldn't be met. That's fairly common in college sports. It sucks when it happens to us tho. Like '10 in football.
Fourth point. That's why I left the second point open ended by saying that it's recent, not based on history and it's up to Fran to reverse that. But does he have the urgency to do so? Chambers was in the final year of his contract last year. There's a way to create some urgency. Tim was told by his AD that the ship needed to be righted. Hell, I even remember Gary telling Alford that things needed to improve shortly before Alford bailed. He did have a nice recruiting class coming in if nothing else. Why doesn't Fran get that ultimatum? Let's see what happens on the BIG the next year or two. And then we will see how random certain things are.

Look, Fran was supposed to bring in "Philly Toughness" and supposedly had east coast recruiting connections. Eight years in neither have happened on a consistent enough basis. And it is not trending in the right direction. And we are losing in state recruits by the bushel basket.

It's one thing to not be able to compete with Purdue and MSU.
But it sticks in my craw when we can't compete with Nebraska and Penn State. Lincoln is a toxic waste dump and Penn States Bryce Jordan arena is the deadest in the conference. Yet they're outperforming us and outrecruiting us.

So all you have to do is look at the top 25 each year to see what order programs expectations were that year? I agree that program expectations have a bit of a say in how good a team is, bit its like some people think that's all it takes to be great. Just decide you want to be.
It won't guarantee you a top 25 program. But if you don't have expectations, it will guarantee you NEVER have a top 25 program.

Fourth point. That's why I left the second point open ended by saying that it's recent, not based on history and it's up to Fran to reverse that. But does he have the urgency to do so? Chambers was in the final year of his contract last year. There's a way to create some urgency. Tim was told by his AD that the ship needed to be righted. Hell, I even remember Gary telling Alford that things needed to improve shortly before Alford bailed. He did have a nice recruiting class coming in if nothing else. Why doesn't Fran get that ultimatum? Let's see what happens on the BIG the next year or two. And then we will see how random certain things are.

Look, Fran was supposed to bring in "Philly Toughness" and supposedly had east coast recruiting connections. Eight years in neither have happened on a consistent enough basis. And it is not trending in the right direction. And we are losing in state recruits by the bushel basket.

But it sticks in my craw when we can't compete with Nebraska and Penn State. Lincoln is a toxic waste dump and Penn States Bryce Jordan arena is the deadest in the conference. Yet they're outperforming us and outrecruiting us.
Fran not recruiting the East Coast, from day 1, is criminal neglect. He should have spent his time recruiting and building that pipeline.

The real heat may be on Joe Wieskamp and that's not fair for a true freshman to have to bear. But in addition to being a physical talent he's going to have to be a stone cold blooded assassin killer from the mental standpoint. Connor, too. That's a lot to ask from a redshirt freshman and a true freshman.

Look, that's what makes last year even more frustrating. We were showing signs toward the end of '17 of developing that mentality. JBo's three at Wisconsin, his scoring barrage at Maryland, outlasting Indiana in that OT game (the Tyler staredown) Then we completely fell apart in the conference tourney against that same Indiana team, TCU in the NIT, and haven't recovered yet. Bottom line. Every returning player have better taken a lot of stock on their backsides this summer and Joe better be a revelation.

The last two years have not been fun but just over 2.5 years ago (2015) we swept MSU and beat Purdue on the road (in our only meeting) so it's not like we're that far removed from competing with them. We were ranked #3 in the country and some had us as #1 at that time.

The last two years have not been fun but just over 2.5 years ago (2015) we swept MSU and beat Purdue on the road (in our only meeting) so it's not like we're that far removed from competing with them. We were ranked #3 in the country and some had us as #1 at that time.

God that 2015-6 season was fun. Right up until it wasn't. Honestly, I enjoyed the 16-17 season too, and I don't think many of us had a problem with it until we had a complete meltdown last year. Then the teeth gnashing and wailing started about 16-17 too.

My money is on us getting there again, but with better high end talent/potential and mental toughness this time. I just have a feeling this season will be better. There can be plenty of argument over this, but I'd take Bohannon over Gessel (especially in late game heroics), Garza over Woodbury, Cook and Uthoff I could consider a wash (but lean Uthoff), Moss and Jok a wash (esp. if Moss is more consistent), Dailey over Clemmons, Senior Baer, Wieskamp, and Nunge over Freshman Baer, Connor over Williams, Kriener, Pemsl, and Fredrick over Dale Jones, Ahmad Wagner, and Andrew Flemming.

We have the talent on the roster. I know you can't count on improvement, but we're a developmental program and this is the year to prove it. We've seen it in the past. Moss's production requires less of a leap than Jok's took. Literally everyone else is only lagging in defense and the staff is spending an entire off-season trying to fix it.

Feel free to dig this comment up in a year and a half and throw it in my face if we're lamenting Fran's contract at that point, but right now I see way more upside than downside.

We actually swept Purdue as well. For two months that was a fun team. Then Jarrod stopped being aggressive and it rippled through the rest of the team. It would be a cool thing to get on that kind of roll again. That team, only 2.5 short years ago, was more athletic and defended better than last year's team.

God that 2015-6 season was fun. Right up until it wasn't. Honestly, I enjoyed the 16-17 season too, and I don't think many of us had a problem with it until we had a complete meltdown last year. Then the teeth gnashing and wailing started about 16-17 too.

My money is on us getting there again, but with better high end talent/potential and mental toughness this time. I just have a feeling this season will be better. There can be plenty of argument over this, but I'd take Bohannon over Gessel (especially in late game heroics), Garza over Woodbury, Cook and Uthoff I could consider a wash (but lean Uthoff), Moss and Jok a wash (esp. if Moss is more consistent), Dailey over Clemmons, Senior Baer, Wieskamp, and Nunge over Freshman Baer, Connor over Williams, Kriener, Pemsl, and Fredrick over Dale Jones, Ahmad Wagner, and Andrew Flemming.

We have the talent on the roster. I know you can't count on improvement, but we're a developmental program and this is the year to prove it. We've seen it in the past. Moss's production requires less of a leap than Jok's took. Literally everyone else is only lagging in defense and the staff is spending an entire off-season trying to fix it.

Feel free to dig this comment up in a year and a half and throw it in my face if we're lamenting Fran's contract at that point, but right now I see way more upside than downside.
I dont think there's any question about Iowa getting better back to the tourney, in the future. 2019-20 should be a lock.

I dont think there's any question about Iowa getting better back to the tourney, in the future. 2019-20 should be a lock.

To clarify, my comparisons to the 2015-16 team were for this year's team. I'll reserve judgement about the 2019-2020 season after we see how things shake out this year, especially in regard to recruiting.