Men's Hoops Non-Con Schedule

I can see that - VT IMO, was Iowa's only legit fringe top 25 foe last season in the non con and IMO if I am gonna have Iowa lose, I'd rather see them lose to Pitt or Uconn vs Louisiana or SDSU. And again, Iowa really only had control of 4 of those games this season- and they had to be home games I am sure for revenue. They are putrid, but Iowa needed to schedule teams they can beat on the dates they needed to have them, not exactly an easy thing to do never mind that most of the more attractive programs probably are a hard sell to get to come to Carver - Iowa just isn't a feather in anyone's cap right now. If 24 of your 31 games are against P5 teams, that's a pretty decent schedule and at least it feels like more then they've ever played in the past. IMO, the schedule took a step forward this year thanks the the B1G going to 20 games, we would have had 2 more doormats without it.

While true, the question is about the noncon, and in that case, it's not a more difficult schedule. Overall, it might be more difficult, but it's probably about exactly the same.

Not sure why people are bitching about this schedule. We now play 20 B1G games, we are in a good non conference tournament, and we have the B1G tournament. We also have the ACC challenge and the Gavitt games, plus we play ISU and UNI. That is 27 games that Iowa pretty much is locked into. Why in the F*** would they then go out and schedule another 3-4 tough NON CON games? That would be the height of stupidity.

Now that said, if Fran and Barta were smart (unfortunately they aren't), they would have scheduled non con teams with RPI more in the 150-200 range and gamed the system better.

I totally agree w/ NikeHawk21- we better hit double-digit wins in the non-conf.!

BIG is one of top 2 conferences in nation, and we play at MINIMUM, TWENTY-ONE BIG games. Gauntlet. add ISU, UNI, plus Oregon/Uconn. Need some breathers fellas! Way tougher schedule than most any team NOT in BIG or ACC

Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REality is that's the toughest non-con schedule we've seen during the Fran era. Maybe the year they were in Battle for Atlantis but other than that losses to UNO etc. I think this might be the toughest schedule he's ever had.

REality is that's the toughest non-con schedule we've seen during the Fran era. Maybe the year they were in Battle for Atlantis but other than that losses to UNO etc. I think this might be the toughest schedule he's ever had.
Which is even more pathetic, if true. My fear is that we barely squeak into the tourney, losing the first game, and Gary doubles his buyout because "schools are calling Fran."

Last edited:
I expect at least a 5-7 win improvement from last year. We are going to know what type of team Iowa will have by Thanksgiving. That stretch right there will determine if I jump on the 'Fran must go' bandwagon.

I agree.

If true that is sad.

Season-ending RPIs from last year:

Bryant 341 out of 351 D-I teams

Alabama St. 333

Green Bay 302

UMKC 261

Western Carolina 218

Savannah St. 199

----------

Savannah St, the team with the highest RPI of this group, is dropping to Division II next season.

Lol, are you tryin to cheer me up? I really think this year is pivotal for Fran one way or the other. Let’s all hope for the best for Fran, his family, and all of the Hawkeye loyal.

Iowa's B1G sched includes home and aways vs. MSU, Indiana and tOSU which would probably improve the RPI but then those might be canceled out by home and aways vs. Rutgers, Nebraska and Northwestern.

Better win at least 12 in the B1G this year.

Iowa's B1G sched includes home and aways vs. MSU, Indiana and tOSU which would probably improve the RPI but then those might be canceled out by home and aways vs. Rutgers, Nebraska and Northwestern.

Nebraska will be decent - Iowa will be lucky to split with them and their RPI will likely help

Nebraska should be very solid this year and NW I’m sure expects to be a bubble team.

Not sure why people are bitching about this schedule. We now play 20 B1G games, we are in a good non conference tournament, and we have the B1G tournament. We also have the ACC challenge and the Gavitt games, plus we play ISU and UNI. That is 27 games that Iowa pretty much is locked into. Why in the F*** would they then go out and schedule another 3-4 tough NON CON games? That would be the height of stupidity.

Now that said, if Fran and Barta were smart (unfortunately they aren't), they would have scheduled non con teams with RPI more in the 150-200 range and gamed the system better.

Reasonable people aren't asking for Duke and Kansas to be added to a schedule with the preseason tournament, ISU and Gavitt Games (although Iowa is not in that this season). But continually scheduling teams with RPIs at or near the 300s is ridiculous

Reasonable people aren't asking for Duke and Kansas to be added to a schedule with the preseason tournament, ISU and Gavitt Games (although Iowa is not in that this season). But continually scheduling teams with RPIs at or near the 300s is ridiculous

yeah, I think the criticism is warranted at this point. A lot, and I mean a lot of coaches have learned how to job the system. Coach McDermott being one of them. Creighton rarely plays a really hard OOC schedule since joining the Big East, but they schedule 3 or 4 tough games and then a bunch of teams around 150 RPI's. I have to imagine that just plain ole schedule lining up and open dates has to do something with it, but still, you'd think they could do better.

Um, did you read my post, because if you did you pretty much agree with me.

if Fran and Barta were smart (unfortunately they aren't), they would have scheduled non con teams with RPI more in the 150-200 range and gamed the system better.

Nebraska should be very solid this year and NW I’m sure expects to be a bubble team.
Northwestern was hit hard by graduation losses. Collins has his work cut out for him this year.

Nebraska looks poised to make a run at the top tier of the conference this year. Every move Miles has made since the end of 2017, starting with basically showing three players the door, has improved the team and atmosphere. And that new arena is rapidly becoming a tough place to play.

Shows what can happen when an AD demands more than status quo and creates a sense of urgency. And they've got two transfers sitting out (or are they eligible, not sure with all the transfer rules.) Either way an interesting team to watch for this season.