Men's Hoops Non-Con Schedule

I expect at least a 5-7 win improvement from last year. We are going to know what type of team Iowa will have by Thanksgiving. That stretch right there will determine if I jump on the 'Fran must go' bandwagon.

IMO, it's a lot tougher schedule then last season. So that has to help a lil with the RPI no? Comparatively speaking. Just can't afford to dump any gimme's - but the potential losses littered on this are more sustainable IMO then last season. We've replaced two duds with B1G foes - instead of Louisiana & SDSU you have Oregon and Uconn/Syracuse. You get UNI instead of Drake and ISU is projected at being better.

and before you pile on me here for saying that the schedule is good, it's NOT. Some of those schools have some pathetic RPI's and they are not going to do any favors for Iowa. I am just stating that it's definitely a step up from last season IMO. 24 of it's 31 games are against power 5 conferences with UNI being one of the other 7. I dunno that you could expect them to go out and schedule 2 or 3 more against power 5's? Maybe, I just dunno how they would since they really need home games and getting another P5 to come to Iowa probably isn't the easiest logistics. I just wish their bottom dwellers were better.

Last edited:
IMO, it's a lot tougher schedule then last season. So that has to help a lil with the RPI no? Comparatively speaking. Just can't afford to dump any gimme's - but the potential losses littered on this are more sustainable IMO then last season. We've replaced two duds with B1G foes - instead of Louisiana & SDSU you have Oregon and Uconn/Syracuse. You get UNI instead of Drake and ISU is projected at being better.
Agreed. It just so happens that Iowa is not in the Gavitt Games this year due to the Big East not having enough teams. It also happens that Pittsburgh is terrible right now. Those two things are somewhat uncontrollable.

Iowa under Fran has historically scheduled very weak non-conference opponents to come to Carver, there is no questioning that. But we already knew that.

Overall this non-conference is fine other than the fact we won’t play a true road game prior to the B1G (again part of that uncontrollable). Have to go at least 10-2.

Seems to me Oklahoma St. missed making the dance last season even though they beat a couple of good teams in the non-con and had a decent B12 season, a conference thought to be pretty good. It happened because the rest of their non-con sched was so pathetic, filled with teams like Bryant and Savannah State.

I don't care who they play. But, they had better not lose more than two, and those losses better be in NY or maybe ISU (barf).

Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pathetic is a kind description. Why would anyone come to these games? So what do we do eliminate the 4 team Des Moines event (because with more big ten games its necessary) A chance to have people in Des Moines watch us Including the fans of the future (kids). Is Barta saying Bryant Alabama State Western Carolina are games we should be scheduling rather than UNI! OK maybe pathetic is the right descriptor

Pathetic is a kind description. Why would anyone come to these games? So what do we do eliminate the 4 team Des Moines event (because with more big ten games its necessary) A chance to have people in Des Moines watch us Including the fans of the future (kids). Is Barta saying Bryant Alabama State Western Carolina are games we should be scheduling rather than UNI! OK maybe pathetic is the right descriptor

That's what I am trying to say here - Iowa was really in control of 4 of those games - the ones at home vs Bama St, W Carolina, Savanah St and Bryant. Those are all stinkers, but the rest they were contractually obligated to play - and most every NCAA team schedules a few cupcakes. The schedule actually looks a lot tougher this season then last IMO. I really hope they play better then last year or they are in big trouble.

We obviously don't know how it will shake out, that goes without saying. However, no, basically no chance it's tougher than last year. Last year you had @Va Tech, @ISU, Colorado neutral site. If Iowa loses to Oregon, they will play UConn, who will be absolute hot garbage. Not Pitt level dive bar grease trap level garbage, but pretty dang bad. Basically you've traded 2 road games for no road games, UNI for Drake last year (Drake was 155 and UNI was 122) and a few more conference games, and the P5 teams you're playing are either unknown with potential (ISU and Oregon) or a tire fire.

4 team tournament in DSM is done - I think this is the last year.

We obviously don't know how it will shake out, that goes without saying. However, no, basically no chance it's tougher than last year. Last year you had @Va Tech, @ISU, Colorado neutral site. If Iowa loses to Oregon, they will play UConn, who will be absolute hot garbage. Not Pitt level dive bar grease trap level garbage, but pretty dang bad. Basically you've traded 2 road games for no road games, UNI for Drake last year (Drake was 155 and UNI was 122) and a few more conference games, and the P5 teams you're playing are either unknown with potential (ISU and Oregon) or a tire fire.

I can see that - VT IMO, was Iowa's only legit fringe top 25 foe last season in the non con and IMO if I am gonna have Iowa lose, I'd rather see them lose to Pitt or Uconn vs Louisiana or SDSU. And again, Iowa really only had control of 4 of those games this season- and they had to be home games I am sure for revenue. They are putrid, but Iowa needed to schedule teams they can beat on the dates they needed to have them, not exactly an easy thing to do never mind that most of the more attractive programs probably are a hard sell to get to come to Carver - Iowa just isn't a feather in anyone's cap right now. If 24 of your 31 games are against P5 teams, that's a pretty decent schedule and at least it feels like more then they've ever played in the past. IMO, the schedule took a step forward this year thanks the the B1G going to 20 games, we would have had 2 more doormats without it.

Season-ending RPIs from last year:

Bryant 341 out of 351 D-I teams

Alabama St. 333

Green Bay 302

UMKC 261

Western Carolina 218

Savannah St. 199

----------

Savannah St, the team with the highest RPI of this group, is dropping to Division II next season.

Season-ending RPIs from last year:

Bryant 341 out of 351 D-I teams

Alabama St. 333

Green Bay 302

UMKC 261

Western Carolina 218

Savannah St. 199

----------

Savannah St, the team with the highest RPI of this group, is dropping Division II next season.

Pitt's RPI was 219 according to CBS, worse than 2 of those teams. And they had mass departures.