Men's BB Talent reminds me of Football's

SirJamaLot

My theory is that our BB team is very similar to our football team, A good group of 3-4 star recruits that play well when they are inspired and execute, yesterdays bb game reminded me of the Gopher football game this yr, both Hawkeyes team seemed flat and uninspired, it just seems that we don't possess the talent on either team to win by just showing up. Maybe Ohio State can get by but I know the Hawks can't.

Interested to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees.

This team, currently, is comprised of 2-3 star guys, with the exception of Matt.

The 4 star guys are coming in next year.

Spank, to my knowledge we never even offered McDermott did we? Pretty obvious he was the best player on the floor yesterday and does everything well. Seemed strange to me that a guy from Iowa that good we never even offered. I know it was weird with his dad at ISU at the time but he was better than anything Lick was recruiting at the time. Did he have any high major offers? I couldn't remember. If not, a lot of coaches just blew it.

It was pretty well known that McDermott was going to play for his dad.
I was at the game and I felt from the very beginning that Iowa looked nervous as hell on the court. I don't really understand it, as the majority of these guys have played in Big 10 games. But that was the impression I got. Even during warm ups their shots were off and they just didn't look all there.

Very disappointed in many things. May and Basabe's defensive efforts topping the list. If I were Caff, I would insist that Basabe sprinted down court every time or pull his *** from the lineup. His little half-shuffle down the court makes me want to puke. May played some of the worst half court defense I have ever seen. He really needs to focus on that part of his game...kind of like how Gatens did last year.

I loved Gatens effort. He needs to step up and start kicking some butt on this team. I think he has the potential to be a great captain, but to do it he probably won't be liked by a few of the players. Oglesby looked terrific. Can't wait to see how good he will be when we get some more weapons on the roster. White needs to work on his decision making, but I loved that he was being aggressive at least. There is nothing worse than playing scared.

It was a rough game. Hopefully we can refocus and play much better on Wednesday.

My theory is that our BB team is very similar to our football team, A good group of 3-4 star recruits that play well when they are inspired and execute, yesterdays bb game reminded me of the Gopher football game this yr, both Hawkeyes team seemed flat and uninspired, it just seems that we don't possess the talent on either team to win by just showing up. Maybe Ohio State can get by but I know the Hawks can't.

Interested to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees.

I really dont buy the comment "they came out flat" what does that even mean? Coker was running wild and the D was playing well vs Minn until the 4th quarter so how exactly did they come out flat?

So if you have a bad drive, bad quarter, bad half, bad or bad 7 or 8 min stretch and miss a lot of shots youre flat?

If you score on an 80 yard pass to start the game....BOY THESE KIDS REALLY CAME TO PLAY TODAY!!!

How the hell does anyone know that? I dont buy that these kids come out and simply dont care about the game and just go through the motions. Being a former D 1 athelte, I think you have to have some serious issues if you come out and simply dont care about anything. Im sure all these kids come out jacked up for every game.

Im sick of that comment "they came out flat" I dont buy it and never will.
Now I do agree that Mel, looked a little disinterested when things started to go bad, but I think he was just frustrated and started to get down on himself they did a good job defending him.

1st game from home everybody has jitters, interesting stat was in the paper this morning, Iowa went 10:14 seconds missing 14 out of 16 shots, don't win very many game that way

McDermott wouldn't have come if offered, as he said in his post game interview last night,"i never liked Iowa."

I agree with Herby. Also Fran made some changes on D and they are running a lot more this year. They are still transitioning to his system.

It was pretty well known that McDermott was going to play for his dad.
I was at the game and I felt from the very beginning that Iowa looked nervous as hell on the court. I don't really understand it, as the majority of these guys have played in Big 10 games. But that was the impression I got. Even during warm ups their shots were off and they just didn't look all there.

Very disappointed in many things. May and Basabe's defensive efforts topping the list. If I were Caff, I would insist that Basabe sprinted down court every time or pull his *** from the lineup. His little half-shuffle down the court makes me want to puke. May played some of the worst half court defense I have ever seen. He really needs to focus on that part of his game...kind of like how Gatens did last year.

I loved Gatens effort. He needs to step up and start kicking some butt on this team. I think he has the potential to be a great captain, but to do it he probably won't be liked by a few of the players. Oglesby looked terrific. Can't wait to see how good he will be when we get some more weapons on the roster. White needs to work on his decision making, but I loved that he was being aggressive at least. There is nothing worse than playing scared.

It was a rough game. Hopefully we can refocus and play much better on Wednesday.

Greg McDermott lures son from UNI - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

not sure if you were a D-1 Athlete if you don't understand, kids come to play some don't,
Creighton came to play with something to prove, if you listened to some of the Iowa players some figured being from the BT they should have had no troubled withCreighton coming from a MVC conference that is looked at as a Mid-Major, there are a lot of Iowa kids on that Creighton team so they came in with a chip on their should and basically spit in Iowa's face and dared Iowa to knock it off,
basically kicked the Iowa's players collective @ss
face it Creighten was up for this game
Iowa was not, so call it down or flat whatever you want to call it, not all the players were ready to play, Gatens, McCabe, Oglesby and May understand what it means to play against other Iowa kids that feel they got slighted, it's why UNI and Drake do so well against Iowa and ISU

I really dont buy the comment "they came out flat" what does that even mean? Coker was running wild and the D was playing well vs Minn until the 4th quarter so how exactly did they come out flat?

So if you have a bad drive, bad quarter, bad half, bad or bad 7 or 8 min stretch and miss a lot of shots youre flat?

If you score on an 80 yard pass to start the game....BOY THESE KIDS REALLY CAME TO PLAY TODAY!!!

How the hell does anyone know that? I dont buy that these kids come out and simply dont care about the game and just go through the motions. Being a former D 1 athelte, I think you have to have some serious issues if you come out and simply dont care about anything. Im sure all these kids come out jacked up for every game.

Now I do agree that Mel, looked a little disinterested when things started to go bad, but I think he was just frustrated and started to get down on himself they did a good job defending him.

I wish this post could be a sticky at the top of every forum. This isn't middle school football-- the games aren't won and lost by who gets more fired up in the locker room and jumps around on the sideline more. Yes, I have seen Iowa not give a great effort before (probably about 5-6 times during the KF era-- the Western Michigan and Indiana games come to mind). But I haven't seen it this year. What I have seen is a team that, especially on the road, has made some horribly ill-timed mistakes. Leads in both the Minnesota and Iowa State games could have been extended without key turnovers and penalties. And I've never seen a guy fumble a football because he wasn't fired up enough. In fact, sometimes it's quite the opposite.

not sure if you were a D-1 Athlete if you don't understand, kids come to play some don't,
Creighton came to play with something to prove, if you listened to some of the Iowa players some figured being from the BT they should have had no troubled withCreighton coming from a MVC conference that is looked at as a Mid-Major, there are a lot of Iowa kids on that Creighton team so they came in with a chip on their should and basically spit in Iowa's face and dared Iowa to knock it off,
basically kicked the Iowa's players collective @ss
face it Creighten was up for this game
Iowa was not, so call it down or flat whatever you want to call it, not all the players were ready to play, Gatens, McCabe, Oglesby and May understand what it means to play against other Iowa kids that feel they got slighted, it's why UNI and Drake do so well against Iowa and ISU

I can't speak to all of this, but the primary reason that UNI does well against Iowa is that, ever since the Brunner/Horner season, they have been much, much better that us at basketball.

This team, currently, is comprised of 2-3 star guys, with the exception of Matt.

The 4 star guys are coming in next year.

I agree with you storm except I would put Baasbe, White, Gatens and Ogelsby in the 3-4 range, more help is coming from what I heard Gessel loves to compete night in and night out.

then you are not old enough to remember the 1st game between a Dr,Tom's Iowa team Vs UNI, that team was not given much of a chance against Iowa and won
and to prove my point all you have to do is look at the Drake vs ISU game the other night, i didn't nor did many others expected that

Last edited:

I respect you for your opinion, but if you are a D 1 athlete are you saying that you ready to compete at your highest level at each and every competition? Upsets in every sport happen usually because one team doesnt have enough repsect for the other and lose becuase they either did not give enough effort or did not have the focus and execution to be successful. My whole point in this post was that Iowa's football and bb teams do not have the talent to win if they just show up and play average unless they are playing horrible teams like middle tenn. state or chicago state in hoops.

In the first half of the Gopher football game we could rush for 10-15 yds. on each carry, if we would have been sharp and executed we should have scored 28 points by half time at least, we came out in the 2nd half and dominated the 3rd quarter but because we didnt put them away they came back in the 4th and beat the Hawks,

Sorry but I still think we are 14-17 points better than the Gophers if we are pumped to play well.

Sorry but I still think we are 14-17 points better than the Gophers if we are pumped to play well.

This is what we're talking about. At this level of college football, playing well is about much, much more than being "pumped." In fact, being too emotional/pumped up may very well stand in the way of doing the things you need to do in order to win. I can tell you from being at the game that Purdue looked pretty damn excited and it helped them not one bit. If the difference between winning and losing was making a big speech and pumping guys up in the locker room than Tim Brewster would still be coaching in the Big Ten and KF would be a sideline reporter.

I will admit that with the multiple games per week schedule of college basketball and the tempo of the game it is much easier for a team to out-hustle another and have that lead to a win. However, I think Iowa could have come out with their hair on fire yesterday and still lost by 20. When you can't make a free throw or a layup, don't have a guy who can create his own shot, and don't have anyone who can guard the other team's best player, you're in for a long night.

PG-Having only one is a huge problem as many of us feared.

Post-I hope Brommer's knee heals quickly. Watchig DArch is torture.

Basabe and Marble- Invisible is the nicest thing I can say.

May-Should not be starting.

Gatens, White, McCabe, Ogelsby-Seem to be the only guys that come to play every night.

Cartwright-Either nursing an undisclosed injury or really slow starter.

Can McCarty or Stubbs play a few minutes at the point??

I respect you for your opinion, but if you are a D 1 athlete are you saying that you ready to compete at your highest level at each and every competition? Upsets in every sport happen usually because one team doesnt have enough repsect for the other and lose becuase they either did not give enough effort or did not have the focus and execution to be successful. My whole point in this post was that Iowa's football and bb teams do not have the talent to win if they just show up and play average unless they are playing horrible teams like middle tenn. state or chicago state in hoops.

In the first half of the Gopher football game we could rush for 10-15 yds. on each carry, if we would have been sharp and executed we should have scored 28 points by half time at least, we came out in the 2nd half and dominated the 3rd quarter but because we didnt put them away they came back in the 4th and beat the Hawks,

I agree, but just because you are ready to play does not mean that you will not make mistakes.

Athletes miss wide open shots, miss 2 foot putts, fumble snaps, drop passes...etc

I dont buy that this happens simply because they are not ready to play.
Sometimes it is just not your day.
IF it were as easy as just being ready to play, the best team would never lose.

SirJamaLot;608237[B said:
]I respect you for your opinion, but if you are a D 1 athlete are you saying that you ready to compete at your highest level at each and every competition?[/B] Upsets in every sport happen usually because one team doesnt have enough repsect for the other and lose becuase they either did not give enough effort or did not have the focus and execution to be successful. My whole point in this post was that Iowa's football and bb teams do not have the talent to win if they just show up and play average unless they are playing horrible teams like middle tenn. state or chicago state in hoops.

I really dont know, sometimes I thought I was really ready and played like ****, sometimes I thought I was gunna play like **** and played great.

I think its more about effort than anything. some days you are going to feel better than others, you just have to fight as hard as you can.

Latest posts