MEN'S BASKETBALL

I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but I do think we are, at best, an NIT team this year. Chemistry is lacking, Kris is not yet a dominant leader (guess we can kinda blame his down time for that.........) Rebraca is playing his heart out, but he will not be the dominant player in the "land of the bigs". Really, Kris has to step up and want the ball, and PM etc have to accept him as the alpha and play to support him. Sometimes I wonder where PM's head is.....I recall an earlier game where TP was all pissed off at him for not giving up an obvious thunder dunk opportunity to TP on a fast break where TP initiated the turnover I believe. (I seem to remember PM took an off balance shot that missed)

I wonder if there is some dissension within the team, and while I hate to point fingers, its twice now where I have seen another teammate pissed at PM..............

I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet, but I do think we are, at best, an NIT team this year. Chemistry is lacking, Kris is not yet a dominant leader (guess we can kinda blame his down time for that.........) Rebraca is playing his heart out, but he will not be the dominant player in the "land of the bigs". Really, Kris has to step up and want the ball, and PM etc have to accept him as the alpha and play to support him. Sometimes I wonder where PM's head is.....I recall an earlier game where TP was all pissed off at him for not giving up an obvious thunder dunk opportunity to TP on a fast break where TP initiated the turnover I believe. (I seem to remember PM took an off balance shot that missed)

I wonder if there is some dissension within the team, and while I hate to point fingers, its twice now where I have seen another teammate pissed at PM..............

Curious, what was the other one? Was it PM and CM barking at each other on the bench?

Yes but we missed many many wide open shots. We simply cannot make buckets.

You are correct and should have people concerned. This team is not going to score in the 80's as Fran's teams typically did in the past. They just aren't.

I also saw some head scratching defense from Iowa last night that made me think, "What the hell are ya doing?". Just lazy play.

Nebraska is a good team, this will be a Q1 loss. Fran isn’t coaching for his job and a down year will happen at Iowa. They just won a B1G tourney title for the first time in 16 years.
That said this team is awful. We didn’t just get beat, we got demolished. Iowa doesn’t bring in shooters next season. There’s no shooters on deck. This could get worse. Tony Perkins is not very good, we were all fooled
If the players performance, and effort, screams "NEW COACH, Gary may not have a choice. It happened to Bruce Weber at Illinois about a decade or so ago. A tired regime had maxed out, and Illinois had no choice but to make a change.

If conference attendance drops to Lickliter levels.....

Nebraska doesn't seem particularly quick, but Iowa seemed flat-footed and late. Any chance the team has had the flu going around?

Last edited:
Think the women would beat the men ?????????
No!

But our former girls high school coach, who won nine state championships, used to bring in football players that weren't playing winter sports to rough up the girls. They called it the Dawg Pound. And they would regularly scrimmage against the boys.

Think of how physically tough they were when they actually played girls.

From the DMR :

In terms of worst-case scenarios, it would be hard to match Iowa's loss last week as more than a 30-point home favorite, but what its offense went through in the first 15 minutes Thursday was pretty unfathomable.

The Hawkeyes missed 25 of their first 28 shots from the floor, at one time missing a mind-bending and rim-rattling 16 in a row while going scoreless for nine minutes. They were shooting 10.7 percent from the floor and trailing 29-8 before Murray’s triple with 5 minutes, 33 seconds left in the half finally ended the 20-0 Huskers run.

Being at the game last night where you can see the entire court develop, what struck me more than just bad shooting was even worse shot selection. Iowa was forcing everything and playing like the shot clock was always at 2 seconds.

The other thing that’s not getting much mention is rebounding. They beat us 54-40 total and 40-23 in defensive rebounds. Not even a good shooting team is going to overcome that.
Fran brought up quick shooting in his weekly presser. It was a huge issue again last night.

It could go hand in hand with lack of confidence in the defense. They could feed each other, and become a vicious cycle.

We don't have the size or bulk to consistently outrebound the opponent

Every game we are going to suffer fatigue before the 10-minute mark in the second half

The opponent will be much less fatigued because of a competent and perhaps deep bench

Perhaps the only way to maintain a slim degree of sanity this season is:

Expect a loss every game

Cheer the Lads on every game

Appreciate the effort they are giving, for instance, when they cut the husker lead: 29-8 to
ten points

There was fear and doubt on the huskers' faces when we cut the lead

The zebras gave them 2 free throws on an outrageous call on Connor, Robbie Hummel said it
was a very bad call

Then they bank a three-pointer

Game Over

They got their confidence back and we were crushed

We started the second half worn out and fatigued

I, being a problematic Homer will cheer for the Hawks every game, realizing that they
are going to lose most, if not all, of the remaining games

Last night, after the game, I decided to take it easy on myself and accept the loss and expect
many more this season

Next season is when, with the incoming Lads, we will start to rebuild

Happy New Year to all Hawkeye fans on the Planet and everyone else

:cool:

Last edited:
This is why I put ZERO stock into the non-con schedule as a gauge of how good Iowa basketball is.

Fran’s schedule was too ambitious for this team and he didn’t even attempt to develop his big men pre-conference. I believe that was a huge mistake. Last year Keegan helped inside, this year poor Rebracca is left to do all the dirty work. Patrick is useless rebounding and Perkins and Peyton help out some, but not enough. Interior D is non-existent and 3 point defense is poor as well. Add to that the shooting slump by most of the team and you got problems. Then there’s the ugly fact that this team wilts under pressure. This team needs a shrink.

Being at the game last night where you can see the entire court develop, what struck me more than just bad shooting was even worse shot selection. Iowa was forcing everything and playing like the shot clock was always at 2 seconds.

The other thing that’s not getting much mention is rebounding. They beat us 54-40 total and 40-23 in defensive rebounds. Not even a good shooting team is going to overcome that.
Yup. I have said time and again that you need to be present at games to get a more accurate picture.

A close relative of mine was on a flight with the coach and son sitting in front of him. Said they did a lot of entertaining arguing. OK, so they are human and have open communication with pops. As a teacher and coach, I'm OK with students/players arguing with me as long as they have a clear understanding of the boundaries.

Latest posts