Meltdown will begin if............

deanvogs

For me I will begin a meltdown if we lose 2 of the final 4 games. That lands us at 8-4 and 5 years removed from our last 10+ win season.

If we lose to Wisconsin and win out, then I will be disappointed, but probably not melting down. A 9 win season with the schedule we had is what I felt we could get to, and then if we win the bowl game that is a 10 win season which is always nice.

Obviously we all have different thresholds for our meltdowns. I mean most of Da Haters have been melting down weekly on this site since 2010.

If they don’t beat Wisconsin, this season is another meh for me. I think Minnesota is a product of their dogshit schedule and Illinois/Nebraska to close it. If they would’ve beat Michigan or Penn State, I’d feel different
If they lose to Wisconsin playing the same old Iowa way, then I'll still watch through the end of the year, but it will feel like going through the motions for the rest of the season. If they lose tomorrow, I want them to go down swinging. I can live with that.

...........if they can't run block or run the ball worth a shit!

This is a must for Iowa's offense. If can't run with Iowa's offense, there is no play action and the D keys on the QB.

I'll let the entire season unfold. After it's over I do think Kirk and Gary have to discuss the OC position if things go south. Losses to Michigan and, Penn State are explainable. But not finishing up 9 and 3 with the remaining schedule isn't. GB is BF's boss and even he has to have some concern. Iowa was not picked to win the west so going meltdown is fruitless.

I'll let the entire season unfold. After it's over I do think Kirk and Gary have to discuss the OC position if things go south. Losses to Michigan and, Penn State are explainable. But not finishing up 9 and 3 with the remaining schedule isn't. GB is BF's boss and even he has to have some concern. Iowa was not picked to win the west so going meltdown is fruitless.

I agree with most of this, but I don't see how a loss to Michigan or PSU is explainable but finishing 9-3 with an additional loss to Wisconsin isn't. I'd put Wisconsin on par with Michigan and PSU and agree that I hate the thought of losing to all 3, but would be content, not overjoyed, with 9-3 if we did lose to Wiscy.

Let's not put the cart before the horse, boyz. This ball club is good enough to win out. This ball club is also bad enough to lose out (but I think Nebraska is a very likely win). Illinois is playing with some swagger, Wisconsin is Wisconsin and Minnesota might be decent. If we drop 3 in a row and roll into Stinkin' on that sort of a streak, the wheels could easily come off the bus.

This ball game on Saturday is the biggest game for our program in the past several years. If we win it we will likely win out and end up in a decent bowl. If we lose it in grand fashion with an absolute turd of a performance by the offense and I think the team will limp into the home stretch of the season and finish 7-5 or 6-6.

I hate to say it, I picked us to go 10-2, but 8-4 is the most likely outcome. Generally, we just aren't going to get there unless KF gives up control of the offense. I really think defenses know KF better than he knows himself, just small idiosyncrasies that add up. I think we need to revamp the blocking scheme, and use more gap blocking. We have good fundamental players but they are put at a disadvantage because certain coaches, like Fitz, know us too well.

Again, we haven't finished top 50 ypa rushing since 2008 and we were top 50 FIVE times from 2001 to 2008. That pretty clearly identifies the problem to me, at least a major problem. Wisconsin is much more effective rushing than us, even when everybody knows it's coming. They run closer to 65% to 70% while we're usually closer to 60%. Iowa is much more balanced yet much less effective, which is ironic considering we are pretty equal in OL NFL talent.

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to go uptempo to lessen the other team's advantage, as a quick fix.

Last edited:
If Iowa trots out on the field as a listless, shell of a zombie tomorrow in Madison. 2 weeks to prepare and see the same old shit.

Let's not put the cart before the horse, boyz. This ball club is good enough to win out. This ball club is also bad enough to lose out (but I think Nebraska is a very likely win). Illinois is playing with some swagger, Wisconsin is Wisconsin and Minnesota might be decent. If we drop 3 in a row and roll into Stinkin' on that sort of a streak, the wheels could easily come off the bus.

This ball game on Saturday is the biggest game for our program in the past several years. If we win it we will likely win out and end up in a decent bowl. If we lose it in grand fashion with an absolute turd of a performance by the offense and I think the team will limp into the home stretch of the season and finish 7-5 or 6-6.

This.

I hate to say it, I picked us to go 10-2, but 8-4 is the most likely outcome. Generally, we just aren't going to get there unless KF gives up control of the offense. I really think defenses know KF better than he knows himself, just small idiosyncrasies that add up. I think we need to change to much more gap blocking, and revamp the blocking scheme. We have good fundamental players but they are put at a disadvantage because certain coaches, like Fitz, know us too well.

Again, we haven't finished top 50 ypa rushing since 2008 and we were top 50 FIVE times between 2001 to 2008. That pretty clearly identifies the problem to me, at least a major problem. Wisconsin is much more effective rushing than us, even when everybody knows it's coming. They run closer to 65% to 70% while we're usually closer to 60%. Iowa is much more balanced yet much less effective, which is ironic considering we are pretty equal in OL NFL talent.

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to go uptempo to lessen the other team's advantage, as a quick fix.

And this.
IDK what we need to change, but the numbers don't lie, we need to get back to being able to run the ball better.
Having the box stacked doesn't help either, but our offensive numbers suck.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, I picked us to go 10-2, but 8-4 is the most likely outcome. Generally, we just aren't going to get there unless KF gives up control of the offense. I really think defenses know KF better than he knows himself, just small idiosyncrasies that add up. I think we need to change to much more gap blocking, and revamp the blocking scheme. We have good fundamental players but they are put at a disadvantage because certain coaches, like Fitz, know us too well.

Again, we haven't finished top 50 ypa rushing since 2008 and we were top 50 FIVE times between 2001 to 2008. That pretty clearly identifies the problem to me, at least a major problem. Wisconsin is much more effective rushing than us, even when everybody knows it's coming. They run closer to 65% to 70% while we're usually closer to 60%. Iowa is much more balanced yet much less effective, which is ironic considering we are pretty equal in OL NFL talent.

I think our ypa relative to other teams going down is probably in large part driven by our lack of a running QB. I agree that our lines haven't been as dominant and we have had some turd years at RB, but I think teams who have a running QB have really moved that ypa out of our reach in the past decade.

No way you typed that sumsa bitch correctly the first time. Probably even had to google it for the dictionary.

Latest posts