Meltdown in Badgertown

And Wisconsin plays a style of ball that if they get behind double-digtis, it is very very difficult for them to catch up.

I hope Iowa DID cost them the B1G title. Nothing would be sweeter.

Which clearly happened. With that said, a no call goaltending in the opening minutes of the game was hardly the deciding factor.

Seems to be some controversy on whether it hit the glass first or not.

But if it was goaltending. Then final score 68-67 Wisconsin. Seems pretty deciding to me.

And Wisconsin plays a style of ball that if they get behind double-digtis, it is very very difficult for them to catch up.

I hope Iowa DID cost them the B1G title. Nothing would be sweeter.

It did, there is no way Wisconsin can win the B1G now. Even if MSU was to lose the rest of their games and Wisc wins out MSU still owns the head to head tiebreaker.

Re: Some of us are old enough to remember when..

"Iowa fans should feel no embarrassment whatsoever at being excited or storming the court. Iowa fans have been in basketball wasteland for 12 years, forgive us if we get excited when the program shows signs of a pulse again and one of our native sons and legacy players leads us to back-to-back wins over ranked teams with consecutive 30-point games."

Well said, Dodger. I think it was Seth Davis after the game who implied the win was not worthy of the celebration. Isn't he from Iowa? Wow. Watching it last night, I was greatful the fans showed the love for Matt's Herculean effort. He earned every bit of it. I'm HollowayHappy!

Davis seems to have a basketball in his rear right now about Iowa hoops, with his recent comments about Iowa and Alford and his comments about recent games. Not sure what's up with that.

You guys do realize Iowa essentially won by 4 right? Nobody guarded Taylor, allowing him to sink a 3 at the buzzer. A goaltend in the first half did not impact the outcome of the game.

But if it was goaltending. Then final score 68-67 Wisconsin. Seems pretty deciding to me.

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Which clearly happened. With that said, a no call goaltending in the opening minutes of the game was hardly the deciding factor.
Seems to be some controversy on whether it hit the glass first or not.But if it was goaltending. Then final score 68-67 Wisconsin. Seems pretty deciding to me.

so you think if we were up 2 after matts free throws we would have still let them shoot an uncontested 3 at the buzzer? or before that let them have an uncontested layup? if they would have called that goal tend it would have changed the entire end of the game. its not as simple as adding 2 points to the final score

Since I was at the game and didn't have access to instant replay, it was not clear to me that that is what happened.

That is fair. When I first saw it, I thought it was goaltending, but it was definately close. Close enough that the officials missed it. I'll take it anyway I can get it!

Glass first is not a factor in NCAA. Going up or coming down is the criteria. NBA uses the glass criteria.

As for rushing the court...why not? People complaining about fans rushing the court/field is 10X more annoying than the act itself.

Glass first is not a factor in NCAA. Going up or coming down is the criteria. NBA uses the glass criteria.

I actually didn't realize this, thanks for the info. I honestly feel the Hawks got a couple of calls in the first half, but the second half seemed to be strongly slanted the Badgers way. I really try not to complain about officiating, but some of the calls against us were really bad, and other times there were bad no calls, for example, when White got pushed out of bounds.

I think this is right, but regardless, the ball was on its way down when it was blocked.

It was a goaltend under both versions of the rule.

Right... The remainder of the game would have been identical to how it played out without the goal-tend call.

Never trust a Cyclone fan
In both NCAA basketball and NBA basketball, goaltending is also called if the ball has already touched the backboard while it is above the rim in its flight, regardless of whether it is in upward or downward flight
Goaltending - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NCAA committee recommends change in goaltending rule - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Whether or not you are right on this, the second link does nothing to support your position. Recommendations are not rules. I'm not saying that the rule hasn't been changed, but your second link doesn't prove what you think it does.

An NCAA committee has recommended changing the goaltending rule so that a ball that is completely above the rim and has already hit the backboard could not be touched, regardless of whether it is on an upward or downward flight.

Backboard is the rule. See below.

Section 34. Goaltending
Art. 1. Goaltending shall have occurred when a defensive player touches
the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met:
Exceptions: Rules 10-3.6; 10-6.1.i
a. The ball is in its downward flight; and
b. The entire ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility,
while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the
cylinder.
Art. 2. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free
throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward
flight.
Art. 3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal
try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight.
In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player.

NCAA Publications - 2009-2011 Men's & Women's Basketball Rules (2 Year Publicaton)

Latest posts