Mel Kiper on Mike and Mike this AM

Ive often wondered how much of this has more to do with the difference in ball in the NFL vs the NCAA . I can see how the NFL ball would be easier to throw thus making a bigger difference to guys who's arm strength might have been questioned in college.

Stanzi was the right QB at the right time when Iowa needed him most. He helped the Hawks win some key games over the last few years.

But his flaws were really exposed last year, when under pressure. And, quite honsestly, Stanzi did not look good under pressure. He tended to drop his line of sight when he 'percieved' pressure and would abandon his secondary (10 - 20 yard) receiver patterns in favor of dumping the ball down. And I write 'perceived' because often his internal alarm would go off, even when the defense had virtually no pressure on him.
To be successful in the NFL, a QB must be comfortable with pressure...because it will be there on almost every play. I just did not see that kind of poise from Stanzi this past year and he missed a lot of plays, especially in the second half of games.
Go back, watch some games. He has a tendency to drop his line of vision and focus on the defense when he 'perceives' pressure.

Regardless, I hope he proves me wrong and turns into the next Brady.

FWTW, I was listening to sports talk radio the other day and someone "in Vikings management" (I can't remember who) said a certain quarterback who played well in the Senior Bowl could be a steal in the 3rd round. Could the Viqueens have a boner for the Manzi? I feel like the Mouth of the Midwest..

That would be great except for one thing. The Vikings traded their 3rd rounder for 4 games of Randy Moss. Nice work fellas, nice work.

What does Jesus have to do with it? He was a bit of a rebel, but I don't think he had near the arm of Mallet.

What Jesus lacked in physical tools he made up for with the mental side. He was the ultimate winner, good in the locker room and had great field vision. Too bad his career was cut short.

Legend has it that one Thanksgiving Day game he turned water into Gatorade.

What Jesus lacked in physical tools he made up for with the mental side. He was the ultimate winner, good in the locker room and had great field vision. Too bad his career was cut short.

Legend has it that one Thanksgiving Day game he turned water into Gatorade.

He also did well in wet field conditions. Some said it looked like he was walking on water.

Ricky is certainly not NFL-ready now. But how many of his "flaws" are his own and how many are because of the coaching he has received along the way? You never saw him fire bullets at receivers but was he coached to do that (or not coached enough to throw "on the rope")? Did anyone on the staff really work with him on his progression and speed of release? Or did they more work with him on routes, receivers, directing the offense?

I think Ricky has many strengths that could make him successful in the NFL -- poise, character, leadership qualities, commitment, long hours learning playbooks and studying game film, vision, physical size, adequate mobility, toughness. By all accounts he is a highly "coachable" team player who works well with a coaching staff. You never saw him pouting on the sidelines, arguing with a coach, hanging his head.

Working with a good position coach for a year or two and alongside a successful signal-caller, can Ricky develop into a top caliber quarterback in the NFL? My gut says yes.

Ricky is certainly not NFL-ready now. But how many of his "flaws" are his own and how many are because of the coaching he has received along the way? You never saw him fire bullets at receivers but was he coached to do that (or not coached enough to throw "on the rope")? Did anyone on the staff really work with him on his progression and speed of release? Or did they more work with him on routes, receivers, directing the offense?

I think Ricky has many strengths that could make him successful in the NFL -- poise, character, leadership qualities, commitment, long hours learning playbooks and studying game film, vision, physical size, adequate mobility, toughness. By all accounts he is a highly "coachable" team player who works well with a coaching staff. You never saw him pouting on the sidelines, arguing with a coach, hanging his head.

Working with a good position coach for a year or two and alongside a successful signal-caller, can Ricky develop into a top caliber quarterback in the NFL? My gut says yes.

I don't think so. There are some things that a NFL QB needs to do well that Ricky just isn't good at, and probably never will be. He doesn't have a strong arm, he isn't especially accurate, he isn't great under pressure, he can run, but he doesn't throw well on the run, and he occasionally has bouts of poor decision making.

When you go to the NFL, all of those problems are compounded by the fact the game is faster and the defenses are more complex. It takes more than heart to be an NFL QB, and I don't think he has the tools. He can be a good backup for a while, but he will never be more than a 4th tier QB.

First Iowa QB since to be seriously considered a top draft choice since, what, 1991?

A Purdue we ain't.

Last edited:
I don't know whether or not Ricky will be successful in the NFL, but I do know this: He is the first legitimate pro prospect QB to come out of the Hawkeye program under KF. Drew Tate and Brad Banks had better careers, but both were short by NFL standards.

I also seem to recall that Nathan Chandler got drafted in the late rounds in spite of having a very average career, because he had the size and arm strength.

I'm also not terribly impressed with the QB coaching at Iowa.

So I do believe that Ricky has a very good chance at finding a home in the NFL, even if it is as a backup.

I don't know whether or not Ricky will be successful in the NFL, but I do know this: He is the first legitimate pro prospect QB to come out of the Hawkeye program under KF. Drew Tate and Brad Banks had better careers, but both were short by NFL standards.

I also seem to recall that Nathan Chandler got drafted in the late rounds in spite of having a very average career, because he had the size and arm strength.

I'm also not terribly impressed with the QB coaching at Iowa.

So I do believe that Ricky has a very good chance at finding a home in the NFL, even if it is as a backup.

What?

I think either you have it or you don't. JVB has that arm. Ricky does not. Coaching doesn't have much to do with that aspect of a QB. I hope I am wrong, but he is a 5-6 round pick and will be a backup for a while. Hope he saves his money wisely.

Sorry if already posted, but there is no way in hell that Todd Collins is one of the 64 best QBs in the world.

so-true-demotivational-poster-1224480387.jpg

I don't think so. There are some things that a NFL QB needs to do well that Ricky just isn't good at, and probably never will be. He doesn't have a strong arm, he isn't especially accurate, he isn't great under pressure, he can run, but he doesn't throw well on the run, and he occasionally has bouts of poor decision making.

When you go to the NFL, all of those problems are compounded by the fact the game is faster and the defenses are more complex. It takes more than heart to be an NFL QB, and I don't think he has the tools. He can be a good backup for a while, but he will never be more than a 4th tier QB.

Ricky was a better more accurate passer on the run than in the pocket. He showed that with the one big play in the Senior Bowl when he hit the tight end after getting out of the pocket. That is one of his strengths.

Honestly, I think that Ricky was a more accurate passer his sophmore and junior seasons than last year. Even with all the interceptions in 2009, most of those passes were not really inaccurate as much as bad decisions in the first place...like vs IU against the wind throwing up punt-like passes.
Ricky has positioned himself with his good stats to be judged by how he does in these pre-draft workouts...they know he is not reckless by his TD-Interception ratio...but can he prove his talent in the workouts..if he can get hot pre-draft..then his stock can rise to maybe the 3rd round..which would be great.

You've got it wrong here. The reason Stanzi is more NFL ready than other college QBs is because of his college coaches teaching him the pro-style offense.

I know some guys on this board, for whatever reason, want to get another shot on KOK. OK, you don't like KOK. I get it.

IMO, Stanzi will immediately have greater success in the pros because his pro receivers will be talented.
When everyone in the stadium expects a pass, these receivers will be able to catch the ball.
They will be able to out run coverages. They will know how to get open.
They will be playmakers.

Last edited:
Even with the baggage that he brings i still think Cam Newton will end up being the best QB of the draft.

Not likely.
Cheating on college course work. Stealing. Lack of character.
The NFL takes hard work. I've rarely seen anyone more unwilling to put the work in, than Cam Newton. When he figures out that he cant run over or around everyone in the NFL, and he lacks the pin point accuracy to beat NFL CBs, whats he going to do? Thats when a guy has to put the work in, which is something he wont do.

Latest posts