Mel Kiper on Mike and Mike this AM

Even with the baggage that he brings i still think Cam Newton will end up being the best QB of the draft.

How many of you QB draft experts had Tom Brady as 'best in class' coming out of Michigan in 2000?

I have no idea if Stanzi will pan out, but nor do any of you.

How many of you QB draft experts had Tom Brady as 'best in class' coming out of Michigan in 2000?

I have no idea if Stanzi will pan out, but nor do any of you.

Still fun to speculate though......Just opinions on a message board. I have not seen any personal attacks against Ricky in this thread just comments on his abilities or lack there of. so why not give opinion on where he might go in the draft.

Why are you going straight to a bizarre emotional argument like that? No one said that Stanzi is "bad". My point is just that the tools to succeed as QB at Iowa are not the same as the tools to succeed in the NFL. Ricky was a great Hawkeye, a great leader, and a good Big 10 player, but he doesn't have the tools to succeed in the NFL.

Stanzi is terrible, BTW.

I guess technically you're right.

I guess technically you're right.

Good point. But don't lump me in with that bonehead. My over all point is that good college QBs rarely make good NFL Qbs, becuase the skill set to succeed on the two levels is different. I think Ricky was a pretty good NCAA player, but I don't think his skills translate well in the NFL.

Good point. But don't lump me in with that bonehead. My over all point is that good college QBs rarely make good NFL Qbs, becuase the skill set to succeed on the two levels is different. I think Ricky was a pretty good NCAA player, but I don't think his skills translate well in the NFL.

I don't think anyone is penciling him in as a hall of famer. Look at some of the QBs in the NFL right now. Hell Todd Collins played in the NFC Championship game.

Even with the baggage that he brings i still think Cam Newton will end up being the best QB of the draft.

To be a QB in the NFL you have to be the (beware cliche ahead) first one in and last one out every day. All of the best QBs have this mindset. I don't see Cam Newton as someone that has this attribute. Of course i have no idea, just initial reaction.

I think this is one of the things that Rick has going for him.

To be a QB in the NFL you have to be the (beware cliche ahead) first one in and last one out every day. All of the best QBs have this mindset. I don't see Cam Newton as someone that has this attribute. Of course i have no idea, just initial reaction.

This. Newton is a Vince Young-type quarterback, IMO. Could be great, but doesn't put in the time away from the field. Mike Vick used to be that player, and now that he's changed his mindset we see just how great he is/could have been.

FWTW, I was listening to sports talk radio the other day and someone "in Vikings management" (I can't remember who) said a certain quarterback who played well in the Senior Bowl could be a steal in the 3rd round. Could the Viqueens have a boner for the Manzi? I feel like the Mouth of the Midwest..

I don't think anybody penciled in Kurt Warner as a hall of famer either when he came out of college. And he will be.

FWTW, I was listening to sports talk radio the other day and someone "in Vikings management" (I can't remember who) said a certain quarterback who played well in the Senior Bowl could be a steal in the 3rd round. Could the Viqueens have a boner for the Manzi? I feel like the Mouth of the Midwest..

Twin Cities writer Patrick Reusse will have a field day with that. He's never liked Stanzi, even picked us to lose the Insight because "we don't have a QB". Didn't have a clue.
The guy is some piece of work...all the cynicism of a Minnesota sports fan combined with the self-righteousness we've come to love in sports columnists.

I don't think anybody penciled in Kurt Warner as a hall of famer either when he came out of college. And he will be.

Gotta love the Warner story. One thing he said early in his career really stuck with me.

Coming from Arena football he said that the speed of the NFL game didn't phase him at all. Compared to arena ball, he said felt like he had all the time in the world to see things develop and read the "D".

It's a wonder some QB coach hasn't harnessed some component of that to develop young QBs.

Your overall point is right but is flawed also. The best college QBs tend to be non-traditional QBs in that they are run and pass options. Which is different than a pass 1st guy that can run. Ricky is the 2nd. Players like Tim Tebow or Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith are guys that don't work out. I think I would rate Tom Brady as a good College QB and Better than Stanzi but his skills translated well into the pros and his leadership and work ethic. Stanzi is similar he will translate well and he is a leader and works hard. I don't think he is the next coming of Brady (not at all) but I think scouts see the similarities and there were a lot of teams that second guessed there and they see Stanzi as safer than some of the more athletic, more prestigious guys.

Your overall point is right but is flawed also. The best college QBs tend to be non-traditional QBs in that they are run and pass options. Which is different than a pass 1st guy that can run. Ricky is the 2nd. Players like Tim Tebow or Jamarcus Russell or Alex Smith are guys that don't work out. I think I would rate Tom Brady as a good College QB and Better than Stanzi but his skills translated well into the pros and his leadership and work ethic. Stanzi is similar he will translate well and he is a leader and works hard. I don't think he is the next coming of Brady (not at all) but I think scouts see the similarities and there were a lot of teams that second guessed there and they see Stanzi as safer than some of the more athletic, more prestigious guys.

Look, I never challenged Stanzi's work ethic or leadership, I question his arm strength and accuracy. I don't think his strength in the former will make up for his lack of the latter. He spent 5 years in a Big 10 program, and he showed imporvement in these areas, but I don't see it translating well on the next level. I bet he makes a team and sticks around, because he is the type of guy teams want, and he can play a little, but no team will be making long term plans around him.

No teams were planning on making long-term plans around Brady either. The truth is you have no idea how Stanzi's NFL career will end up. Stop trying to pretend like you do. Hard work, leadership, and determination can turn a guy with average talent into something special. Those are the things NFL scouts see.

This. Newton is a Vince Young-type quarterback, IMO. Could be great, but doesn't put in the time away from the field. Mike Vick used to be that player, and now that he's changed his mindset we see just how great he is/could have been.

Is this like a black qb thing? Feel the need to compare Cam just to other black qbs very similiar to white bball players being compared to other white bballers your leaving out a whole pool of potential others comparisons.

The Vince Young comparison is off base. Vince Young lacks arm strength, which limits what you can do offensively, Cam Newton can make every throw any offense requires. Young has been babied and pampered since grade school which leads to him not knowing how to handle adversity. newton is just the opposite he is smart enough and charming enough to know what to say or do when things are not going well.

If he can avoid being drafted by the raiders, I see Newton being like Ryan, Roethlisberger, Sanchez,Freeman. Build a defense and a running game around him and let him figure it out. Honestly, do you see him pouting on the bench when things are not going well? I see him doing what it takes to get better, he is mentally stronger than Young is/was.

I think scouts and NFL people will see a player with off the charts intangibles when they speak with Rick. Is he flawless on tape? No. Does he have the biggest arm? No. Is he a leader of men? No question, arguably one of the best in the entire draft.

He has the ability to play QB in the NFL. Scouts see he has the intangibles, too. This is not surprising, especially when you consider that most QB's drafted outside the first round are guys that take a year or two to develop in most instances.

I think this is hitting the nail on the head, and is ironically where he and Mallett seem opposites - Mallett has numerous physical tools, but his intangibles are highly questioned...not to mention if the guy can't plant his feet firmly on throws he crumbles.

The other thing I think worth noting is that coming out of college many QB's don't have the arm strength they develop in the NFL. I can't explain how they do it, but many players have developed much better arms since getting to the NFL, and I think Stanzi will be that type. I think initially he'll have trouble throwing the opposite hash out, but will develop it. And that is a throw every team uses and is an easy method to evaluate a QB's arm strength. I also believe JVB will make that throw w/ ease, and if Stanzi sticks in the NFL, JVB has a tremendous opportunity.

I think there is something more there with Newton. You not only have to be the first one in and last one out, but you also have to be a great communicator. This takes elocution and intelligence. Listening to Newton talk, he is short on both. Seriously, players have to think their QB is at least a relative match intellectually. No way Newton ever comes close to making his team feel that way. It can work for the S.eriously E.ducationally C.hallenged, but not in the NFL.

I think this is hitting the nail on the head, and is ironically where he and Mallett seem opposites - Mallett has numerous physical tools, but his intangibles are highly questioned...not to mention if the guy can't plant his feet firmly on throws he crumbles.

The other thing I think worth noting is that coming out of college many QB's don't have the arm strength they develop in the NFL. I can't explain how they do it, but many players have developed much better arms since getting to the NFL, and I think Stanzi will be that type. I think initially he'll have trouble throwing the opposite hash out, but will develop it. And that is a throw every team uses and is an easy method to evaluate a QB's arm strength. I also believe JVB will make that throw w/ ease, and if Stanzi sticks in the NFL, JVB has a tremendous opportunity.

Latest posts