Mel Basabe is a Hawkeye

And you know this how?

All the recruiting sites say so. Sure, he could be a surprise, but probability says not. Odds are a 23rd ranked 4 star is better than a non-ranked 3 star. I understand that you are mad at Larson for leaving and like Mel because he is coming, but your feelings don't make Larson worse and Mel better. How does where they play have much to do with anything. I'll take Raef Lafrentz who played in Monona Iowa in Class 2A Iowa HS basketball over 99% of the kids that came out of all of the major cities in his graduating class.

Last edited:
All the recruiting sites say so. Sure, he could be a surprise, but probability says not. Odds are a 23rd ranked 4 star is better than a non-ranked 3 star. I understand that you are mad at Larson for leaving and like Mel because he is coming, but your feelings don't make Larson worse and Mel better. How does where they play have much to do with anything. I'll take Raef Lafrentz who played in Monona Iowa in Class 2A Iowa HS basketball over 99% of the kids that came out of all of the major cities in his graduating class.

Well if all the recruiting sites say so it must be so. As far as where they played you can't tell me that the competition level in South Dakota is better than New York. I'm not saying Larson isn't good but I'm sure he was playing against a lot smaller players night in and night out.

According to ESPN Larson's grade is a 92 and Basabe's is a 89 so there not as far apart as some people think.

Last edited:
Well if all the recruiting sites say so it must be so. As far as where they played you can't tell me that the competition level in South Dakota is better than New York. I'm not saying Larson isn't good but I'm sure he was playing against a lot smaller players night in and night out.

Like I said, they could be wrong, but odds are they are not. I'm sure the scouts that do the ratings take into account the level of competition they play against as well. Are we to assume that Harrison Barnes wouldn't be arguably the best player in his class if he were playing in a metro area?

I hope that this is the start of positive things in the recruiting area to come. Welcome aboard sir.

I would not get carried away with stars and ratings. From what I have seen, ESPN ratings don't change during senior year and their info is not that current if you look at a number of players. These ratings may be wieghted based on camps kids attend, and how they looked that day or days.

It a general indictor. Kids have a skill set and they have to have the work ethic to grow it.

All the recruiting sites say so. Sure, he could be a surprise, but probability says not. Odds are a 23rd ranked 4 star is better than a non-ranked 3 star.

To put your point in a bit of perspective, I will use Iowa's 2005 recruiting class for Football.

Who were the (3) highest ranked players in that class?

Dan Doering, Jake Christensen, and Dace Richardson.

Name the (3) highest ranked members of that class to not be drafted?

Doering, Christensen, and Richardson.

Just sayin'.

To put your point in a bit of perspective, I will use Iowa's 2005 recruiting class for Football.

Who were the (3) highest ranked players in that class?

Dan Doering, Jake Christensen, and Dace Richardson.

Name the (3) highest ranked members of that class to not be drafted?

Doering, Christensen, and Richardson.

Just sayin'.

Can't really compare football and basketball recruiting. Football allows you to sit players and let them learn and grow physically. Don't have that luxury in Hoops. For instance, you couldn't red shirt Basabe and
then sit him on the bench for 2 years like they did for Stanzi

And you know this how? Have you seen him play? You could be right though, I heard the competition in South Dakota is way better then New York.:rolleyes:

Basabe also played in the Rucker Park summer league. One big thing about N.Y. kids is they are not on the AAU circuit as much as kids from other parts of the country so the rating service does not get as many chances to see them play.

The only time Larson saw tall athletic competition was when he played for the Dakota Schoolers in AAU action. Basabe can see that level of talent everyday at the parks in NYC.

I'll take Mel over Larson any day...like someone said the competition in NYC is ALOT more impressive than that of South Dakota's. And I still think Larson is a BIG risk with getting kicked off his hs team and such.

I am suprised there hasn't been anyone dumping on Basabe for breaking his previous committment and turning his back on everyone at Siena. After all, this board was pretty critical of players transfering up to yesterday.

I'll take Mel over Larson any day...like someone said the competition in NYC is ALOT more impressive than that of South Dakota's. And I still think Larson is a BIG risk with getting kicked off his hs team and such.

Again, how does that matter? I've played with/against a few former/current hawkeyes does that mean I could play for Iowa? Every player former Iowa HS player played against "nobodys". Do you think every player in the Chicago public league is better than every kid from Iowa? After all Chicago is metro, Iowa is rural. It just doesn't follow.

Anybody know how this young man pronounces his last name? My guess is it sounds something like wasabi but with a 'B' for the beginning.

According to ESPN Larson's grade is a 92 and Basabe's is a 89 so there not as far apart as some people think.

The same ESPN that ranked Pepperdine among the top 20 football recruiting classes a few years back?

Take ESPN's recruiting coverage, multiply it by 7.1, divide by zero, run it over with a truck and set it on fire, and it's still less credible than my 5-year-old's morning deposit.

Back on point, I think we just got a fine forward who'll contribute significantly. Welcome Mel.

Latest posts