Medved leaves Drake for Colorado State

phdsvp

Drake just can't buy a break. They'll be back to 20 losses for the foreseeable future again.

Drake is in the ghetto of Des Moines. As nice as Drake the school is that part of town sucks. It's a stepping stone job for you one way or the other and that's it. They have no idea how lucky they were when Mr. Davis fell in their lap and then his son for awhile. That sort of success just can't be sustained for any amount of time there..

Drake is in the ghetto of Des Moines. As nice as Drake the school is that part of town sucks. It's a stepping stone job for you one way or the other and that's it. They have no idea how lucky they were when Mr. Davis fell in their lap and then his son for awhile. That sort of success just can't be sustained for any amount of time there..

USC is in the shitty part of Los Angeles I think that has little to do with it. They dropped the ball by not capitalizing on the momentum that Mr. Davis created. I am not sure who they should have hired after Keno, but everyone was in agreement that it shouldn’t have been Mark Phelps.

I would love for Drake to reciprocate and hire Larry Eustachy, but it is not going to happen.

Last edited:
If you think the Drake area is ghetto, you haven’t been to the SE bottoms. You can get shanked down there...

lickliter.jpg

Come on Drake....give me another shot man.......

If you think the Drake area is ghetto, you haven’t been to the SE bottoms. You can get shanked down there...
Used to live on SE 20th st just off of Park... I know all about down there too. I won't say that's any better either. Pretty much from the NW part of downtown DSM to the east side & SE side of town just isn't where I'd want to raise a family I'll leave it at that

USC is in the shitty part of Los Angeles I think that has little to do with it. They dropped the ball by not capitalizing on the momentum that Mr. Davis created. I am not sure who they should have hired after Keno, but everyone was agreement that it shouldn’t have been Mark Phelps.

I would love for Drake to reciprocate and hire Larry Eustachy, but it is not going to happen.
Why??? The last thing that douche deserves is a job period.... I'm not sure how he's gotten other gigs the last 10 yrs or so but geez let him be someone else's next mistake. I'm not a Drake fan but I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Why??? The last thing that douche deserves is a job period.... I'm not sure how he's gotten other gigs the last 10 yrs or so but geez let him be someone else's next mistake. I'm not a Drake fan but I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

I just want to be entertained, brother.:)

I think most on here realize that it's stepping stone job. It always will be. But, you think you'd get more than one year out of a guy.

I think most on here realize that it's stepping stone job. It always will be. But, you think you'd get more than one year out of a guy.
In today's NCAA.... Those coaches contracts are just one way deals and nothing surprises me along those lines. It really does blow my mind how one sided they the coaching profession is when it comes to their employment. I mean just look at Pitino he's going to fight tooth and nail to get his $ he thinks he should have coming still. He shouldn't win it but crazier crap has happened. It's just nuts top to bottom and I don't think we even know the half of what all goes on. So coaches like him at a school like Drake jumping off the lily pad that fast doesn't even move the needle.

USC is in the shitty part of Los Angeles I think that has little to do with it. They dropped the ball by not capitalizing on the momentum that Mr. Davis created. I am not sure who they should have hired after Keno, but everyone was in agreement that it shouldn’t have been Mark Phelps.

It's a hit and miss with those kinds of schools. You might luck out and get a gem of a coach who can recruit, coach or both, but, it's an uphill battle. These schools seem to have steep peaks and valleys which can change almost on a yearly basis.

It's a tough place to get a great coach. The good coaches that are really ascending are going to bypass an offer for a better opportunity, because they can afford to. Better situations are just out there. Really, your only two chances are getting an older coach (Mr. Davis) who wants to stay in the same area take an open position or a young coach who really isn't that known yet, get hired & kicks ass. Then, after he is plucked you do it all over again.

Last edited:
It's a hit and miss with those kinds of schools. You might luck out and get a gem of a coach who can recruit, coach or both, but, it's an uphill battle. These schools seem to have steep peaks and valleys which can change almost on a yearly basis.

It's a tough place to get a great coach. The good coaches that are really ascending are going to bypass an offer for a better opportunity, because they can afford to. Better situations are just out there. Really, your only two chances are getting an older coach (Mr. Davis) who wants to stay in the same area take an open position or a young coach who really isn't that known yet, get hired & kicks ass. Then, after he is plucked you do it all over again.

Everything you say is true I just think Hatfield-Clubb took the safe/easy way out with the Phelps hire. Was there a long time Mr. Davis or Gary Williams assistant that could have been hired? Did Gary Close have any interest? I think you had an opportunity to make Drake basketball relevant for a 3 or 4 year stretch and she didn’t capitalize on it.

Mr. Davis did a nice thing setting Keno up for a nice payday at Providences expense. He has been a picture of mediocrity at central Michigan. since gouging Providence for three years of big bucks.

Sucks for Drake but I don't blame the guy at all. He was making somewhere in the $400k range at Drake and it sounds like Colorado State offered him somewhere in the $700k range. who wouldn't change jobs for almost double the salary? I sure would.

Latest posts