Medved leaves Drake for Colorado State

Why do you say that? Have you been to the area around Drake? Maybe we define ghetto differently but to me it sure is as is some of the SE side of DSM

I think you're exaggerating just a wee bit. I used to live in that neighborhood for a few years, just 3 years ago. I loved the area, actually.

While it's not the nicest of places, it's far from being a "ghetto". Sure, you'll run into some interesting and crazy characters at the Kum & Go on University, but it's not like the south side of Chicago or inner city Detroit. You don't hear about Drake students, who are always walking around that neighborhood, being regularly accosted or assaulted.

I think you're exaggerating just a wee bit. I used to live in that neighborhood for a few years, just 3 years ago. I loved the area, actually.

While it's not the nicest of places, it's far from being a "ghetto". Sure, you'll run into some interesting and crazy characters at the Kum & Go on University, but it's not like the south side of Chicago or inner city Detroit. You don't hear about Drake students, who are always walking around that neighborhood, being regularly accosted or assaulted.
Well I can't compare it to the Chicagos or Detroits if for no other reason than I've never been to those places let alone lived there. I dated a gal while she went to Drake and lived in a house with 3 other girls just south of University not too far from MLK. And I worried about her place getting broken into almost every day she lived there. This was back in the early 2000s. If my future kids want to go to school there the neighborhood will indeed be considered.

Drake is in the ghetto of Des Moines. As nice as Drake the school is that part of town sucks. It's a stepping stone job for you one way or the other and that's it. They have no idea how lucky they were when Mr. Davis fell in their lap and then his son for awhile. That sort of success just can't be sustained for any amount of time there..

Have you ever been to the campus of USC? The campus itself is beautiful, but one block away from campus in any direction looks more like a war zone in Beirut than the worst area of Des Moines.

Used to live on SE 20th st just off of Park... I know all about down there too. I won't say that's any better either. Pretty much from the NW part of downtown DSM to the east side & SE side of town just isn't where I'd want to raise a family I'll leave it at that

My son lives on the SE side of Des Moines near Easter Lake. It's really a nice neighborhood. The only reason he would like to move is they have a three bedroom house (with two really small bedrooms) with four kids.