McCall's season wasted for 2 carries

The only problem I have is that Ferentz didn't go back to him after the fumble, particularly after the many mistakes other players make that don't result in a complete benching. Hard to believe we only have one scholarship back worthy of playing time. McCall I'm sure is down and confused about his role going forward. Ferentz should have gotten him another carry. If Ferentz treated Coker the same way he would have been benched after the ISU game.

He seriously can't win with some of you guys. McCall learned the ever important lesson that if you don't protect the ball, you don't play. Remember the reason he did so well in the first game? B/C they were doing the same thing with Coker. He will play next week, and he will play in the bowl, and he will be better over the next 3 years because of it.

The only problem I have is that Ferentz didn't go back to him after the fumble, particularly after the many mistakes other players make that don't result in a complete benching. Hard to believe we only have one scholarship back worthy of playing time. McCall I'm sure is down and confused about his role going forward. Ferentz should have gotten him another carry. If Ferentz treated Coker the same way he would have been benched after the ISU game.

You know what the reaction on this board would have been if McCall would have come back in and fumbled.... nuclear!

He seriously can't win with some of you guys. McCall learned the ever important lesson that if you don't protect the ball, you don't play. Remember the reason he did so well in the first game? B/C they were doing the same thing with Coker. He will play next week, and he will play in the bowl, and he will be better over the next 3 years because of it.

Agree 100%

This X 10. Unbelievable. The worst thing you can do is bench a kid like that not play him again. Absolutely terrible coaching and player development.
Coker fumbled 4 times in the first 4 games. (and don't give me the...it was raining...crap about the opener. He fumbled twice...nobody else on either team fumble at all).

I'm sick and tired of Ferentz playing scared (though playing stupid is running a close second). As Vince Lombardi said "Confidence is contagious...so is a lack of it."

Not the coachun staff's fault. They gave mccall a chance and he put the ball on the turf, costing us a TD. Why risk another fumble when coker has been so great?

coaching scared? if the was the case he wouldn't have been in the game at all and we wouldn't have run a PA pass from our own 1 yrd line. I swear some people have no clue. He will play again this year F'ing get over it.

I have no problem at all with playing McCall, regardless of what he does the rest of the year. If he is able to have three more productive seasons in black & gold, I'll be the happiest Hawkeye fan out there.

Anything else you guys want to complain about with McCall? All of this whining over his redshirt or him not playing is getting tiring.

he wasn't likely to get a medical redshirt anyway, just surprised that we didn't see him again.

lesson learned, i hope.

I don't care about the reaction on the board. I care that we have a really good running back whose body is going to be completely broken down before he finishes his eligibility. Another running back needs to get developed one way or the other. McCall fumbled. McNutt dropped three passes, a lineman whiffed a block that resulted in a fumble and touchdown...mistakes happen but that doesn't mean you just give up on the player. Thankfully we didn't give up on Coker when he had fumblitis as he has become our second best player behind McNutt. The confidence of all the back up backs must be completely shot. This is not a knock on Coker. He's a workhorse for sure. But when he gets gassed we should be able to find another scholarship athlete on the team to give him a rest. Also, I'm not in that "someone needs to get fired" crowd. I just think we could do a lot better at developing depth and continuity, particularly in the backfield.

Whiners...feeble attempt to find a negative in a great win by the Hawks. McCall will be a very good player for the Hawks and I expect that we will see quite the one, two punch in the near future for the Hawks. Coker is a great back that will play on Sundays for someone and as a Hawk fan, I am excited about our running back situation.

I don't like developing a player while a game is on the line if that's what is being suggested. I'd like to have a back up for Coker too but it's not like anyone has proven they deserve big time snaps either.

Latest posts