McCall's season wasted for 2 carries

for those complaing about Coker getting to many carries, Ball from Wisc, had 38 carries today, so much for a two back team like everybody claims,

Ferentz doesn't play him....people ticked off
Ferentz plays him....costs Iowa points....People ticked off.

I swear I don't understand a lot of our fans.

I would have liked to see McCall get at least one more carry. By not doing so, Kirk is basically telling McCall he doesn't trust him.

But then, that's Kirk.

You have to believe that Iowa felt its case for a medical hardship waiver for McCall was not strong. If they felt it was very strong, he would not have played.

McCall's redshirt was burned against Tennessee Tech....he would have had to prove that that injury caused him to miss the rest of the year. Being medically cleared to play for Minnesota game, and Kirk talking about playing him against Michigan and MSU is not a strong case

Didn't Ferentz say there was an X-ray that could allow McCall to redshirt? Is he redshirting or not?

Whiners...feeble attempt to find a negative in a great win by the Hawks. McCall will be a very good player for the Hawks and I expect that we will see quite the one, two punch in the near future for the Hawks. Coker is a great back that will play on Sundays for someone and as a Hawk fan, I am excited about our running back situation.

People call for McCall when the Hawks lose, they call for him when they win. Isn't a consistent opinion more credible than one that changes every week?

Ferentz doesn't play him....people ticked off
Ferentz plays him....costs Iowa points....People ticked off.

I swear I don't understand a lot of our fans.

I swear, I don't understand YOU. Yes, a lot of fans wanted to see McCall....but not in that situation (first and goal). McCall is a between the 20s back...not a goal line pounder.

You don't play again after a fumble when you are a frosh and are that green. Anyone thinking he should have played more knows nothing about football. The real question will be how he responds to his mistake: he either works hard to get better and be more trustworthy, or he packs it in and blames others.

I thought we were redshirting Coker.

Aside from the fact that that most people don't know, let alone understand, red-shirt rules.... or the tactics associated with a particular individual decision.

McCall is a running back. If McCall turns out to be the stud everyone predicts he will become, he won't last beyond his 4th year, maybe not even his 3rd yr.

See Fred Russell and Shonn Greene. Running backs have very short careers and can't afford to waste one as an unpaid (slave-holding aside) "student-athlete" at any NCAA football factory for the chance at a professional career and being paid for services.

You don't play again after a fumble when you are a frosh and are that green. Anyone thinking he should have played more knows nothing about football. The real question will be how he responds to his mistake: he either works hard to get better and be more trustworthy, or he packs it in and blames others.

Exactly....a freshman doesn't get the benefit of staying in the game after a mistake like that. He will play again this year, and it will be about how he bounces back.

Aside from the fact that that most people don't know, let alone understand, red-shirt rules.... or the tactics associated with a particular individual decision.

McCall is a running back. If McCall turns out to be the stud everyone predicts he will become, he won't last beyond his 4th year, maybe not even his 3rd yr.

See Fred Russell and Shonn Greene. Running backs have very short careers and can't afford to waste one as an unpaid (slave-holding aside) "student-athlete" at any NCAA football factory for the chance at a professional career and being paid for services.

Totally agree. How many Iowa RB's have there been that have had more than three years of great production?

Keep guessing.

The fumble was almost predictable. The approach by the coaching staff after that was, in my opinion, correct. Playing time is earned. McCall played early in the year because Coker wasn't focused. Had McCall not been injured, he would have continued to see significant carries in that game and in games moving forward. Clearly Coker got the message then that ball security is more important than anything. McCall will be fine, he will contribute. Stop worrying about what the team might look like in 2015. I think when we all consider that Coker is the only tailback that had carries last season who is still on the roster, we are reminded of how quickly the situation can change.

Totally agree. How many Iowa RB's have there been that have had more than three years of great production?

Keep guessing.

I would Say Albert Young but that was like 3 years over a period of like 2 decades after all his injuries right?

Sorry, I don't agree and neither do a lot of head coaches. To me, it just sends a signal to the player that he can't be trusted. Other teams have freshmen that play....if you don't think the kid is good enough to play, why give him a scholarship?

I'm not saying McCall should have gotten 5-10 more carries.....I think he should have at least been given ONE more.

This X 10. Unbelievable. The worst thing you can do is bench a kid like that not play him again. Absolutely terrible coaching and player development.
Coker fumbled 4 times in the first 4 games. (and don't give me the...it was raining...crap about the opener. He fumbled twice...nobody else on either team fumble at all).

I'm sick and tired of Ferentz playing scared (though playing stupid is running a close second). As Vince Lombardi said "Confidence is contagious...so is a lack of it."

What short memories some of us have. There were 3 fumbles by Iowa that day and 1 by Tennessee Tech.

People also seem to forget McCall has a lot of work to do in pass protection. In that same game McCall got run over on one pass play and completely whiffed on the other one, which led to JV getting blindsided and I believe fumbling.

I like the change of pace he brings and would like to see somebody get a few carries to rest Coker, but the backups have a ways to go.

Keep guessing.

Sedrick Shaw is the only one I can think of that had 3 great years. He's the only back at Iowa to have 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.

Sedrick Shaw is the only one I can think of that had 3 great years. He's the only back at Iowa to have 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.

MORE than three. Shaw is probably the closest to it. It rarely happens which is why I dont get the fret

McCall played. What? "Kirk is lying and just showing gamesmanship so the opponents will have more to prepare for"

"being medically cleared is a lot diff than actually playing"

"man he broke his ankle, no way he's gu.nna play he will EASIlY get a medical hardship"