McCall's season wasted for 2 carries

What's to not get?

He got hurt first game. Then the staff found out it wasn't a 100% sure thing that he would get a medical redshirt. So they waited until he was healthy, and when they put him in - in an absolute great situation - he fumbles. The injury is nobodys fault. The fumble is McCall's fault. This isn't on Ferentz or KOK's fault. There's still two games left.

The fumble was almost predictable. The approach by the coaching staff after that was, in my opinion, correct. Playing time is earned. McCall played early in the year because Coker wasn't focused. Had McCall not been injured, he would have continued to see significant carries in that game and in games moving forward. Clearly Coker got the message then that ball security is more important than anything. McCall will be fine, he will contribute. Stop worrying about what the team might look like in 2015. I think when we all consider that Coker is the only tailback that had carries last season who is still on the roster, we are reminded of how quickly the situation can change.

Correct

Hopefully McCall will get some nice carries next week, and both Coker and McCall will have good days.and bring home a victory.

...any maybe the whiny beeches in here will HTFU for awhile. :)

only scimmed thru all the responses Shaw is the only back in the history of running for over a 1000 yards in 3 straight seasons, and currently holds the FR rushing record, as far as McCall redshirting or not is moot, he played that settles the medical question can he redshirt next year yes he can as he still is in the range of playing 4 in 5 years, to bad he got 11 carries this season to ruin a year of eligbility,
as far as putting him in when Iowa had 1st and goal inside the ten, i clearly am against that call, Coker is the guy i want in there with him being a 230 lbs banger, that is clearly not the time to put in a 195 slasher in there

he wasn't likely to get a medical redshirt anyway, just surprised that we didn't see him again.

lesson learned, i hope.
I agree.

I think Kirk wanted to be safe. Not the best weather out there, a lto fo fumbles.

Get him back out there next game.

Ferentz must have known a medical hardship wasn't going to happen.

we're going to need all the horses we can get against Nebby, but then again i've said that same thing pretty much every game...and look how that's turned out.

I think McCall should have gotten another shot. Let him get the confidence back. One mistake should not equate to sitting on the pine. Plenty of Iowa players have made mistakes this season. Coker had butter fingers the first few games ... But he got better by playing ... Sort of mess with the kids psyche when you give him two carries and then pull him -- basically saying 'hey, I don't have the confidence in you.'

Didn't Ladell Betts play all 4 years?
Yes he did.

Career Stats
Rushing......Att........Yds....Avg..TD...Lng
Freshman....188........679...3.6....5....40
Sophomore..189........857...4.5....5....74
Junior.........232......1,090...4.8..10....42
Senior........222.......1,060...4.8..10....42
Career........831.......3,686...4.4..25....74

Receiving....No....Yds...Avg...TD..Lng
Freshman....20....259..12.9....0....36
Sophomore..20....195....9.8....1....22
Junior.........17....111....6.5....0....31
Senior........15.....137....9.1....1....35
Career........72.....702....9.8....2....36

Stupid Ferentz for playing to win instead of holding the hand of a frosh and making sure his precious little feelings are not hurt.

Get a grip people. IF McCall can't handle getting benched for fumbling it on the 5, then he is going to be a ****** football player anyway.

I am getting so tired of hearing complaints about how little McCall has played. The beginning of the season Coker sat after he fumbled and now McCall has learned that lesson. I can't understand the fascination that people have with the two back offense that is popular now. It wasn't that long ago that one RB got the lion's share of carries and why wouldn't he if he can be consistently good? I thought this was funny....

[FONT=&quot]
I'm sick and tired of Ferentz playing scared (though playing stupid is running a close second). As Vince Lombardi said "Confidence is
contagious...so is a lack of it."
[/FONT]

So putting in your money back for the rest of the game is playing scared? If you truly believe that, then you don't know what you're talking about. McCall had an easy chance inside the five and that hole was huge. He was so busy seeing endzone that he didn't secure the football. He deserved to be yanked so he could get his focus back. It's not like we're not going to see him again this year and I am betting that he's not going to let another opportunity go to waste.

You have to believe that Iowa felt its case for a medical hardship waiver for McCall was not strong. If they felt it was very strong, he would not have played.

McCall's redshirt was burned against Tennessee Tech....he would have had to prove that that injury caused him to miss the rest of the year. Being medically cleared to play for Minnesota game, and Kirk talking about playing him against Michigan and MSU is not a strong case

From an administrative standpoint, I don't get what happened.

It seems like they missed out on getting some playing time against Michigan, MSU (and possibly Minnesota), unless the coaches felt he wasn't ready to play in those games, so he sat. Or conversely, did they think up until this week that he was eligible for the hardship, so that was the reason he hadn't played until Saturday?

It didn't seem to be handle with a lot of proficiency, i.e., public comments from the coach didn't seem to match an understanding of the rule if in fact they intended on going for the hardship.

As far as him not getting further carries, Ferentz has been pretty consistent on that. Fumble and your playing time is impacted.

This X 10. Unbelievable. The worst thing you can do is bench a kid like that not play him again. Absolutely terrible coaching and player development.
Coker fumbled 4 times in the first 4 games. (and don't give me the...it was raining...crap about the opener. He fumbled twice...nobody else on either team fumble at all).

I'm sick and tired of Ferentz playing scared (though playing stupid is running a close second). As Vince Lombardi said "Confidence is contagious...so is a lack of it."
Idiot.

Latest posts