McCaffery: "Maybe I need to back off a little bit"

I love Fran's relentless work ethic on the recruiting trail, his passion, his media one liners, sticking up for his players, bringing some excitement back to Iowa Bball.....lots of positives about him.
But, at the end of the day he still has to prove that he can in-game coach with some of the best in the Biz in our league, that is where the rubber meets the road. Beating teams at Siena vs. beating Izzo/Matta/Ryan is a lot different. The first few years we had no talent so it wasn't fair to judge his "coaching abilities"... now that we have talent though we'll see what he does with it. Hoping for a turnaround but right now he seems to just have no answers.

The B10, moreso than any other conference, is a coaching conference. The coaches affect the outcomes of games more in this league over any other.

I read that and thought a lot of the same things you did.

My conclusion as to why this season is crashing down around them is one word: Leadership.

There doesn't seem to be much of any leadership from the players. We don't have a Cole or a Gatens or a May on this team right now....a senior leader who thru his words or his actions can show the younger guys how to act and compete. I was hoping to see that from McCabe this year, but his season has gone down the crapper one bad game at a time....culminating in his completely immature, inappropriate and unleadershiplike lashing out.

The REALLY discouraging thing though, is the apparent lack of leadership from the head coach. I see a coach that is really gripping right now. If he's not lashing out at callers on his radio show and telling them to go route for another team, he's creating substitution patterns that never existed at the beginning of the year and ultimately just throwing crap against the wall to see what works. He's putting guys in at the end of close games that have no business being out there and leaving guys on the bench that should be out there. The players aren't dumb. They see it just the same as the fans see it.

I have a sinking feeling that it's too late in the year to get this turned around....but I'll continue to hold out hope the best I can.

The person who wrote the article chose to pick out select comments and take a negative angle, perhaps. Maybe try to clear out some brain fog and watch the video.

And Fran lashing out at callers? Lashing out at fans? Anyone who thinks that - please provide some specific examples and sound clips to justify even suggesting that this is some kind of "norm" now. Some of the stuff in this thread is almost comical.

8 minutes left in the game. Iowa's lineup was Clemmons, Jok, McCabe, Oglesby and Woodbury. What in the actual **** has to go through someone's head to have that lineup on the floor at any point, let alone at crunch time.

Ask him.

Maybe some key players needed some rest - something he couldn't ignore, and needed some fresh legs out there at that moment. Unreal.

I wonder when that will start to happen...I have been wondering if Clemmons doesn't bolt after the season.

Clemmons isn't playing because he's not playing very well. There are others that should be realizing the same fate, but that's been discussed already, if I'm not mistaken.

If I was Fran, I'd double down on the intensity. Man up, boys.

The person who wrote the article chose to pick out select comments and take a negative angle, perhaps. Maybe try to clear out some brain fog and watch the video.

And Fran lashing out at callers? Lashing out at fans? Anyone who thinks that - please provide some specific examples and sound clips to justify even suggesting that this is some kind of "norm" now. Some of the stuff in this thread is almost comical.

Ask him.

Maybe some key players needed some rest - something he couldn't ignore, and needed some fresh legs out there at that moment. Unreal.

Sorry, bro. Better go hibernate for awhile. No one is looking for the wish upon a kool aid flavored star total homer perspective right now.

lmao, moving the goal post on me eh?

Your statement was "I have not seen it produce more than 1 or 2 turnovers in conference play".

The press was not affective last night and I seen a number of occasions where they stopped using it.

images
Not on purpose. I was shooting more from the hip with my first post but as I said, I have the game from last night DVR'd and will gladly tally it up and provide the actual risk/reward numbers.

Not on purpose. I was shooting more from the hip with my first post but as I said, I have the game from last night DVR'd and will gladly tally it up and provide the actual risk/reward numbers.

I have already stated the press was not effective last night, I don't need more proof. Iowa has given up 188 points the last 2 games, obviously the defense is not working.

Teams have figured out the way to beat Iowa is to run the ball right back at them. It is what Minnesota did and Indiana copied it, Fran needs to go back to the drawing board to come up with something else. The idea behind the press is to make the team work to bring the ball down the court, eating up part of the shot clock. This makes the 1/2 court defense much more effective. But if the other team is using the press to beat you down the court then it is time to try something else. They did this last night, a number of times they stopped using the press and that did not work either.

Sorry, bro. Better go hibernate for awhile. No one is looking for the doom and gloom, sky is falling, this season is lost, you're either against or a dum perspective right now.

FIFY.

PLEASE don't speak for everyone. I certainly don't subscribe to the same thinking as you.

Iowa guard Mike Gesell said of lacking mental toughness. “I think we’re just not trusting each other right now.

This one is troubling. The guy who's flourishing into the floor leader, the motor of the team, is questioning all the moving parts.

You're over-analyzing. It's not "troubling", it's just an accurate statement, and a borderline cliche. When teams get tight, they tend to stop trusting each other and letting the game flow.

Didn't read the article - just watched the video of the press conference.

I didn't hear anything that warrants criticism of Fran.

He didn't need to go into so much detail, but that's his nature. So, naturally anything he says will be picked apart and blown out of proportion in the context of a 3 game losing streak. Everyone with an opinion on what's wrong with this team is perfectly capable of encapsulating one comment and making a book out of it. It's not like he was whining through the whole thing - he's being honest and if anything, a little too honest for some fans who can't comprehend their own narrow way of thinking.

Bottom line, I think this team is having late game "mental breakdowns" - they get tight. I have no idea how to solve this and no fan really does, it's up to him - we just have to accept that. Make judgments game to game, but a more reasonable approach might be to hold off on bashing the program's progress and coach until the after final game of the season.

Well said. I have stayed away from the boards after these tough losses lately. We'll be fine...it more depends on what you deem to be "fine".

Fran is a good coach, he's done a great job. How the hawks have lost has been a tough pill. Hopefully they can get a confidence and finish strong.

If we get to the 2nd or 3rd round, and play well and are competitive, I will be happy with the year (albeit I will have that "what if" feeling).

Go Hawks

I have already stated the press was not effective last night, I don't need more proof. Iowa has given up 188 points the last 2 games, obviously the defense is not working.

Teams have figured out the way to beat Iowa is to run the ball right back at them. It is what Minnesota did and Indiana copied it, Fran needs to go back to the drawing board to come up with something else. The idea behind the press is to make the team work to bring the ball down the court, eating up part of the shot clock. This makes the 1/2 court defense much more effective. But if the other team is using the press to beat you down the court then it is time to try something else. They did this last night, a number of times they stopped using the press and that did not work either.

So your confirming what my original argument was? Then why did you ask me if I watched any games, when its obvious you see the same thing I do? Are you one of those types that likes to pick fights for the hell of it? I dont have a problem with it if you are that type. I just wont respond to it.

I made an entire thread on "when do you tune out a coach", a bunch of dumb azzez got cute in it. I'm telling everyone, it happens and I'd say there is a pretty good chance it is HAPPENING right now. I've been there before and it's not like the abrasive in your face coaching style hasn't worn thin on college and pro players before.
Sorry about the Tee - ball comment, but I did hate that lady

So your confirming what my original argument was? Then why did you ask me if I watched any games, when its obvious you see the same thing I do? Are you one of those types that likes to pick fights for the hell of it? I dont have a problem with it if you are that type. I just wont respond to it.

I don't mean to speak for Kelley, but I believe he said it wasn't working last night and we went away from it. It has worked well in previous games; a point that you seem to disagree with (arguing that it produces 1-2 turnovers and risk/reward isn't there). The press is designed to get a turnover occasionally, but bleed time off the clock, force 10 second calls, and shorten the time the half court defense is needed. White mentioned they weren't getting back on D well enough last night, and weren't communicating very well; which would cause the press ineffective/defensive lapse.

My take from the article is this team recognizes the problems it's facing, which will allow them to correct them. The communication, trust in each other, trust in the system, rotation in D, the intensity, etc that made this club so successful early in the year.

I'd also say the comments from Fran aren't condemning of him, and I don't understand the negativity towards him in this thread. He's always been an introspective guy, and this situation article is a reflection of that.

I am in the "we'll be fine" camp. I think these guys will respond throughout the remainder of the season. I will add that I really liked the quotes from Mikey G the best (especially the toughness quote). He seems to be emerging as a leader, and appears to "get" it.

Latest posts