McCaffery Adds Michigan Point Guard to the Fold

A good leader hires his stars and a backup staff of less-heralded employees who provide the backbone and complement the entire enterprise. Realize college basketball is a different animal than an office. But perhaps that is Fran's approach.

Or that there is desirable skills in players like Ingram and Clemmons that Fran covets.

If you are gonna press you better find guys who can play good position defense and have athleticism to quickly get up the court.

Star rankings typically favor offensive skills more so than defense.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fran's game plan to be uptempo and run the floor? Aren't these guys supposed to be almost constantly sprinting? I don't care who the starter is... If that is the style that Fran wants to run... Both the starter and the backup should be getting a decent amount of playing time. If you want to outrun the other team... you need to have fresh legs on the floor and having depth is important. Having players that are interchangeable at multiple positions works perfectly for that style of play.

Point being--Starter or not, you will get playing time if you deserve it.
That's how I imagine it, CGHawk.....

It's all idle speculation anyway, but that certainly seems to be the plan and how to run it....

Looking at the video,Anthony has long arms,big shoulders,and is quick. Along with a desire to play defense,that all adds up to the tools to be a good perimeter defender,which Iowa desperately needs. His free throw shooting form looked fine,but I presume he is not a great shooter from distance or he would be more highly pursued. That can be taught. He looks like a guy who could be built up into a very physical pg defender,and the comparison to Travis Walton is pretty spot on.

Did you ever watch his good Siena teams? That starters got the truckload of the minutes. I don't understand the need for someone to say every single recruit will see big minutes in his time at Iowa.

I didn't say every recruit will see big minutes. No, I will admit that I did not watch a lot of Sienna basketball.

I stated that my point was: If you deserve playing time, you will get it.

If you are sprinting up the court constantly... you get tired pretty quickly and you will need a sub. So whoever is on the bench will have to come in the game and get playing time... if we have a lot of depth it makes things easier for the team and for the coaches.

I like this kid's wing span up on top, and he moves his feet very well on defense. Very quick with his hands, very shifty with his body, making it hard for opposing guards to do much. He also appears to have the jumping ability to grab long rebounds or balls that have been tipped in the air out by the free throw line and the elbows. It looks like Fran got another nice piece of the puzzle.

Latest posts