Maryland WAS favored

It just seems as if many Hawkeye fans just expected us to win; at Maryland.

Certainly, had the Hawkeyes tackled better, not fumbled TWICE and ran the
ball more, along with taking some vertical shots down the field, they should
have beaten the 5-2 Maryland Terps. But, the Terps are a decent team.
Certainly better than 'Lil brother' over west of the Mecca.

Looking ahead, I see a Northwestern team that is not nearly as athletic or
experienced as the Maryland football team. In fact, Maryland might be the most
athletic team we face, until Bowl season.

GO HAWKS......Let's Win out and make some noise. end of transmission

As I said in another thread, it is a miracle that we had the ball with a chance to tie at the end of the game. The game plan, the play calling, and the players execution were all as bad as I have seen in the last 2 years.

With iowa it is rarely a problem that they lose but more how they lose. Winning and losing is part of football, but when iowa loses it is usually pretty easy to point to at least a half dozen WTF decisions that really pi$$ people off. From clock management to game management to game plan to player usage. It just gets old seeing a team that looks completely lost on Saturdays.

Last edited:

Look at this, Syracuse had 589 yards against Maryland WOW,

Syracuse had 370 yards rushing on 51 attempts: A 7.3 ypc avg

Come on, Syracuse is not Auburn or bama, yet they totally mauled the Maryland defense running the ball.

We really know what the hawk offensive game plan should have been, hard running straight at an undersized Maryland front 7, QB under center, hard play action, 20-50 yard pass plays or occasional quick hitter passes to receivers in space; slants, TEs up the hash,

MD
SYR1st Downs17263rd down efficiency
4-134-144th down efficiency
0-00-1Total Yards369 589 Passing280219Comp-Att
16-2614-28Yards per pass
10.87.8Rushing89 370Rushing Attempts
3251 Yards per rush
2.87.3Penalties8-758-69Turnovers02Fumbles lost
01Interceptions thrown
01Possession27:4632:14

To me the loss isn't the problem. I had them losing this game at the beginning of the season as did many others. But comimg out and getting beat pretty badly in all three phases of the game is what I believe isn't sitting well with most folks. For a team that has long prided itself on sound fundamentals solid execution and a history of improvement as the season progresses to play as bad a fundamental football as what we saw last Saturday in the 7th game of the season is cause for concern.

To me the loss isn't the problem. I had them losing this game at the beginning of the season as did many others. But comimg out and getting beat pretty badly in all three phases of the game is what I believe isn't sitting well with most folks. For a team that has long prided itself on sound fundamentals solid execution and a history of improvement as the season progresses to play as bad a fundamental football as what we saw last Saturday in the 7th game of the season is cause for concern.

^^ Very well put, I thought this was a toss up game because I thought the terps were a finesse maybe soft team. I still think like ohio st did you can gash this defense. The hawks just didnt try to steamroll them.

As you said the team is not seeming to make progress

People are upset because it's been the same old story since the season of 2005. 2009 was the blip since that year and there were three games where the football gods were very good to them that year. The program peaked in 2004 and has steadily declined since then. The health issues with Norm and the inability to replace great coaches and recruiters (BB) are the reasons for the decline.

Sad but I don't think KF will be able to make the proper changes and it will be a sad end to what could have been a great 20 year run at one school.

^^^^I think he has made all the changes hes going to make. Outside of maybe some future retirements I'd be kinda surprised if we see any more coaching changes and over 16 seasons Iowa has always played the ball control/field position football I don't see that ever changing.

They were favored because Iowa's offense is anemic and their coaching staff are made up of a bunch of football ******* monkeys that can't get it together.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa loses to a horrible ISU.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa almost loses to an even more pathetic Ball State.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa almost loses to a horrible Pitt.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa gives up a billion rushing yards to Indiana.

What I don't expect is for Iowa fans to be ok with Iowa losing because Maryland was favored.

You're just another Iowa fan full of excuses on why it's ok for Iowa to suck. You're delusion that Iowa is going to beat jNW is almost as pathetic as you being ok that Iowa lost to Maryland because Maryland was favored. Take a look back at ISU, UNI, Ball St, and Pitt and tell me again how Iowa should be jNW because they're not as athletic as Maryland. Iowa has proven many times this season the competition doesn't matter, they're going to find a way to keep their opponent in the game.

Do me a favor, I'll PM you my address and you can send me a pair of those Rose colored glasses you've been wearing while watching Iowa play this year. I'd love to think that they're not one of the worst teams in the Big 10.

oh yeah...Iowa has Jake "checkdown" Rudock as their QB and until that changes Iowa is done.

They were favored because Iowa's offense is anemic and their coaching staff are made up of a bunch of football ******* monkeys that can't get it together.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa loses to a horrible ISU.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa almost loses to an even more pathetic Ball State.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa almost loses to a horrible Pitt.

I expect Maryland to be favored when Iowa gives up a billion rushing yards to Indiana.

What I don't expect is for Iowa fans to be ok with Iowa losing because Maryland was favored.

You're just another Iowa fan full of excuses on why it's ok for Iowa to suck. You're delusion that Iowa is going to beat jNW is almost as pathetic as you being ok that Iowa lost to Maryland because Maryland was favored. Take a look back at ISU, UNI, Ball St, and Pitt and tell me again how Iowa should be jNW because they're not as athletic as Maryland. Iowa has proven many times this season the competition doesn't matter, they're going to find a way to keep their opponent in the game.

Do me a favor, I'll PM you my address and you can send me a pair of those Rose colored glasses you've been wearing while watching Iowa play this year. I'd love to think that they're not one of the worst teams in the Big 10.

oh yeah...Iowa has Jake "checkdown" Rudock as their QB and until that changes Iowa is done.

Pitt does not suck. They just beat Virginia Tech.

Probably come out of the bye week and have another good week similar to the Indiana game to beat Northwestern.

Probably lose on the road and play crappy against the Gophers, similiar to Maryland.

Don't get the idea that Maryland is a good football team. They suck bad. The fact they were favored was very surprising, but ended up being the right call. We should of beat them by 3 TDs.

Don't get the idea that Maryland is a good football team. They suck bad. The fact they were favored was very surprising, but ended up being the right call. We should of beat them by 3 TDs.

Agreed and Maryland is the best team any B12 team beat out of conference, kind of puts in perspective how overrated that conference is.

Pitt does not suck. They just beat Virginia Tech.

Out of everything I wrote that's what you chose to talk about? I'll be sure to rate the validity of your opinion right there towards the top of my list of things I care about the least.

p.s. VT isn't good either.

Maryland has all the shiny new facilities, and a sponsorship deal for endless uniform combinations with goofy turtle or checkered flag patters, they are closer to the population centers and high schools with recruits. They have a super recruiter named Mike Locksley, they guy who got all those talented kids who brought Illinois to the Rose Bowl during the Zooker regime. He also recruited a bunch of NFL pro bowlers to play for The Fridge when he was head coach at Maryland. Have you heard of Vernon Davis, how about Shawne Merriman? Locksley was a key player in recruiting both. They also have a wide receivers coach who has two super bowl rings after spending 17 years in the nfl.

I think what bothers most about this loss is the fact that we played so miserably, in all aspects of the game, and still came within a touchdown of tying things up in regulation. If we had simply played a mediocre game we would have won by 10-12 points.....

I think we are giving Maryland too much credit. This is was a so-so Maryland defense ... We made it look better than it was or is. And the fact Maryland was favored is reason enough to be in a slump (as a fan) ... :) ... Sort of feels like I have watched this movie before and I know how it's going to end ...

Let's not kid ourselves and continue to talk up the competition.

UNI sucks this year, we made them look decent.
Ball St sucks this year, we should have lost that game.
ISU is awful, we lost to them.
Pitt is an average team with a good RB. Thank you CJB.
Purdue is also bad, we tried to let them compete.
Indiana is Indiana. Iowa has proven that was an offensive fluke, and Kurt won't let that flashiness happen again.
Maryland would be comparable to Pitt, if we weren't playing against all of their backups and still getting smoked.

Last edited:

Latest posts