Maryland WAS favored

I think what bothers most about this loss is the fact that we played so miserably, in all aspects of the game, and still came within a touchdown of tying things up in regulation. If we had simply played a mediocre game we would have won by 10-12 points.....

Amen, amen, amen. Maryland is an average team. We played a well-below average game. That IS frustrating.

I can't believe after watching that pile of dog crap on Saturday someone would take the time to say "oh but they were favored." Who cares, we have enough players to not only win that game, but blow them out. But we shot ourselves in the foot, and the coaches.........I don't even know how to express my frustration with the coaches on Saturday. It was an embarrassing effort, no matter who was favored.

Pitt does not suck. They just beat Virginia Tech.

They also lost at home, by double digits, to Akron. They aren't very good.

Iowa hasn't beaten a good team all year, and nearly lost (or did lose) to some other teams they have no business losing to.

If we can't condemn Iowa for losing when Vegas says they are the underdog, then we also have to give criticism where it's due for losing games where they are favored (ISU, for example).

Iowa losing games where they are favored has happened waaaaay too often the past 8 years or so.

We lost. It happens and I'm not losing any sleep, beating my wife or kicking my dog over it. Quite the opposite actually. It doesnt bother me when we lose and I'm happy when the Hawks win one. The frustating things about this game and the original point of the OP happen to collide nicely and prompt me to post up an opinion.

The way we lost this game is a perfect snapshot of the current state of the program. Do you think a Norm Parker defense would have missed a season worth of tackles in a single game? Kurts stubbornness to give at least a series to CJB when the wheels had fallen off the Iowa offense in the second half considering the pick 6 and how CJB played at Pitt. Nothing new here folks. How about the abhorrent clock management at the end of the game? Deja Vu anyone? Special team mistakes? Check.

To pass this off as "Maryland was favored" is trying to polish a turd. The reason Maryland was favored at all is in the above paragraph.

If folks don't think that Vegas and all handicappers have figured out KF, then you may be missing something. The reason Iowa was the underdog against an inferior team is, well, because of what happened. Wrong players plays, same ol same ol offense/defense (MD defense was literally pointing to which side Iowa would run when we audibled and the Iowa staff didn't notice?), miss use of players; some gathering dust instead of player, some playing instead of gathering dust.

What aspect within the entire Iowa program would lead us to believe Iowa can win ANY road game, ever, under KF? Hell, we're lucky the MAC teams are still willing to play us at Kinnick or we'd probably be losing more often to MAC teams and on the road.

Reason Iowa lost to Maryland....Randy Edsell flat out out coached us

Reason we lose to Northwestern......Pat Fitzgerald will out coach us

See the pattern

Amen, amen, amen. Maryland is an average team. We played a well-below average game. That IS frustrating.[/QUOTE

According to the Sagarin Computer rankings, this week, Maryland is the #40 ranked team in America.
That's NOT average. That is a team that will most likely be in a Bowl game.

Iowa State is ranked much lower than Maryland, for example.

Again...........my POINT IS and NO ONE has addressed my summation that Maryland is the MOST
athletic team my IOWA HAWKEYES will play this year...........yes, even better than the Cornholers.

End of transmission...........

Let's not kid ourselves and continue to talk up the competition.

UNI sucks this year, we made them look decent.
Ball St sucks this year, we should have lost that game.
ISU is awful, we lost to them.
Pitt is an average team with a good RB. Thank you CJB.
Purdue is also bad, we tried to let them compete.
Indiana is Indiana. Iowa has proven that was an offensive fluke, and Kurt won't let that flashiness happen again.
Maryland would be comparable to Pitt, if we weren't playing against all of their backups and still getting smoked.

I love how people give the thumbs down but don't refute the points.

Our schedule is one of the easiest first 7 games of an FBS team ever. This team is being coached into the toilet.

What aspect within the entire Iowa program would lead us to believe Iowa can win ANY road game, ever, under KF? Hell, we're lucky the MAC teams are still willing to play us at Kinnick or we'd probably be losing more often to MAC teams and on the road.

^^ are you crazy for writing the bolded part above. The hawks are like 6-1 in their last seven on the road not counting the last bowl game.

The hawks are tough on the road, road warriors.

I cant believe you said that.

Now I am not giving the coaches absolution for a pathetic effort at Maryland which should have been a win.

Amen, amen, amen. Maryland is an average team. We played a well-below average game. That IS frustrating.[/QUOTE

According to the Sagarin Computer rankings, this week, Maryland is the #40 ranked team in America.
That's NOT average. That is a team that will most likely be in a Bowl game.

Iowa State is ranked much lower than Maryland, for example.

Again...........my POINT IS and NO ONE has addressed my summation that Maryland is the MOST
athletic team my IOWA HAWKEYES will play this year...........yes, even better than the Cornholers.

End of transmission...........

Here is what you said: "Looking ahead, I see a Northwestern team that is not nearly as athletic or
experienced as the Maryland football team. In fact, Maryland might be the most athletic team we face, until Bowl season."

Were you asking a question here? Stating a fact? And what does Maryland athleticism have to do wins or losses? We have lost to much "less" athletic teams than Maryland. Heck, UNI and Ball State almost beat us and Iowa State did beat us. So I just don't see what your point is?

As for Maryland being #40 in the Sagirin ... They have played a lot tougher schedule than Iowa. But, this is still an average Maryland team that will be lucky to win one ... maybe two more games. It plays at Wisky, at PSU, MSU, at Michigan, and then home against Rutgers. They probably get Rutgers at home ... Maybe they sneak out of Happy Valley with a win ...

And as for Maryland being in a bowl ... Well ... most teams who own helmets get into bowl games nowadays so yeah, the Terps will probably snag a spot in Detroit or Duluth ...

Not trying to bag on ya ... just not sure what point you are making ... that we lost to Maryland because they are so athletic? That Maryland is not an average team? We can agree to disagree but at the end of the season Maryland will not be ranked ... will be in an average bowl game ... and from here on out may get one or 2 more wins ... As for us? Well ... we play a very average, "not-very athletic" Northwestern team but I am guessing they will give us all we want and then some.

Last edited:
Not trying to bag on ya ... just not sure what point you are making ... that we lost to Maryland because they are so athletic? That Maryland is not an average team? We can agree to disagree but at the end of the season Maryland will not be ranked ... will be in an average bowl game ... and from here on out may get one or 2 more wins ... As for us? Well ... we play a very average, "not-very athletic" Northwestern team but I am guessing they will give us all we want and then some.

Appreciate the feedback, Des Moines. The POINT I'm trying to make is that this Hawkeye team could still Win all
its remaining games, end up 10-2 & then all the grousing and ridiculous derision of 20 yr old Hawkeyes will look pretty silly.
GO HAWKS BTW, as it turns out, I'm going to Minny and Illannoy so, I'll be EXHORTING these Hawkeyes ON to victory.

Have a good fall football season DesMoines.

It just seems as if many Hawkeye fans just expected us to win; at Maryland.

Certainly, had the Hawkeyes tackled better, not fumbled TWICE and ran the
ball more, along with taking some vertical shots down the field, they should
have beaten the 5-2 Maryland Terps.
But, the Terps are a decent team.
Certainly better than 'Lil brother' over west of the Mecca.

Looking ahead, I see a Northwestern team that is not nearly as athletic or
experienced as the Maryland football team. In fact, Maryland might be the most
athletic team we face, until Bowl season.

GO HAWKS......Let's Win out and make some noise. end of transmission

The pick 6 didn't help either. Personally, I would have been OK with even that if it hadn't come on yet ANOTHER 3 yard pass.

Last edited:
To me the loss isn't the problem. I had them losing this game at the beginning of the season as did many others. But comimg out and getting beat pretty badly in all three phases of the game is what I believe isn't sitting well with most folks. For a team that has long prided itself on sound fundamentals solid execution and a history of improvement as the season progresses to play as bad a fundamental football as what we saw last Saturday in the 7th game of the season is cause for concern.

This. 100%.

I also had them losing from the beginning of the year. I felt Maryland was just too talented in terms of offensive playmakers for the Hawks to keep up. What's bothersome is that Maryland handed Iowa a 14-point lead at the beginning of the game, and Iowa still passed the ball 50 times and could not control the clock via the run. What's also bothersome is Iowa putting up 31 points and still losing.

I was also very annoyed that the Hawkeyes allowed Maryland's best player (Stephon Diggs) to be such a huge factor. He should have been much more heavily accounted for than he was. Then again, with as easily as Maryland was gashing Iowa with that read option, slowing down Diggs may not have mattered.

We definitely had our opportunity to win this game.

Had opportunities ?? We lead 14-0..........Yeah, I'd say so. It was a close game against an
ABOVE average team.

Maryland's only losses are to Ohio and West Virginia, (by 3 pts). YES, West Virginia that just Knocked-off
the vaunted, #4 ranked Baylor Bears.

Some fans.........well, I'll just say I rest my case

Had opportunities ?? We lead 14-0..........Yeah, I'd say so. It was a close game against an
ABOVE average team.

Maryland's only losses are to Ohio and West Virginia, (by 3 pts). YES, West Virginia that just Knocked-off
the vaunted, #4 ranked Baylor Bears.

Some fans.........well, I'll just say I rest my case
Again, Maryland was down to their 3RD STRING QB!. We didn't throw the ball down the field, our offensive line looked sleepy, and the tackling was **** poor. I don't care what Maryland did in the past. We played a horrible football game. We have the weapons to win a game like that, but it appears we don't have the coaches. I hope they all prove me wrong November 1.

Appreciate the feedback, Des Moines. The POINT I'm trying to make is that this Hawkeye team could still Win all
its remaining games, end up 10-2 & then all the grousing and ridiculous derision of 20 yr old Hawkeyes will look pretty silly.
GO HAWKS BTW, as it turns out, I'm going to Minny and Illannoy so, I'll be EXHORTING these Hawkeyes ON to victory.

Have a good fall football season DesMoines.

You as well! Anything is possible so let's hope the Hawks use the Maryland game and the bye week to get this thing going! Go Hawks!

Latest posts