Maryland OL thinks Iowa D overrated?

biasedHAWKEYE

Though Maryland has already shuffled its rotation on the offensive line after losing starting left guard Mike Minter to a season-ending shoulder injury, the unit has found a comfort level with interim coach Mike Locksley’s new approach on offense. Behind Hills’s ability to run and set up the zone-read attack, the offense finally has an identity and won’t stray from its plan to establish the run against Iowa, senior left guard Ryan Doyle said on Wednesday.

“They’re coming in and saying, ‘Okay, try and run the ball,’ †Doyle said of Iowa, which is limiting opponents to 74.1 yards rushing per game. “We’re going to do just that. We want to run the ball. We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...834900-7da4-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html

Bold strategy, Cotton. Lets see if it pays off.

They're just lucky Drew Ott won't be playing. And even still, they'll struggle to run. Not a very wise move to call out the #3 ranked rush defense in the country.

iowa has always been great with assignment football. this offense -ala back when he (Locksley) coached at illinois - if best defeated by playing sound assignment football. Norm Parker was great at this, and I assume Phil is too.

So glad to hear this! Just the type of thing that our team needs to give them a little extra on Saturday. I remember our teams from 2002-2004 and 2009 and when we were facing a team that were going to try to run the ball right at us I was quietly very confident and happy with their game plan. When we have been good, you just aren't going to beat us by running straight at us. Just hasn't happened. This year- I'm not sure if we are as good in the middle as our top ten teams, not sure we aren't either, but I'll tell you what, JaKill Johnson ain't no joke. Try running at him, see what happens. Same thing I used to say about Babs, Cole, etc.

If they were smart, theyd use the northwestern formula of old (before we notched three straight wins against those dill hole nerds) and spread us out, dink and dunk. That's the best recipe against a hawk team. Even that though, I think the Hawks have gotten better at defending in recent years and I'm not sure the twerps have enough to beat us that way. I like our db's throughout the course of a game with most teams on our schedule. Running straight at us??? Bad choice robin of loxley.

Instead of saying they will be able to run in us because we suck, he should be saying how good we are but they are going to run on us anyway. Kinda like the "over rated" chant. Stupid.

Wisconsin, known for their beefy offensive lines and running game, rushed 34 times for 86 yards. But sure Maryland, please try to do better. :rolleyes:

Not so fast my friends... The did put up 253 against OSU and 242 against PSU. It looks to me like the big difference is that they started giving the ball to their speedy QB 20+ more times a game after they fired their coach. A QB that didn't play in 3 games this year. They also have a good running back. They have some reasons to be confident IMO.

Not so fast my friends... The did put up 253 against OSU and 242 against PSU. It looks to me like the big difference is that they started giving the ball to their speedy QB 20+ more times a game after they fired their coach. A QB that didn't play in 3 games this year. They also have a good running back. They have some reasons to be confident IMO.

Not too worried, considering that Penn St. is #58 vs the run and OSU #54. They are giving up more than 150 yards on the ground per game than Iowa. Iowa on the other had is ranked #3 in the nations in total rushing yards allowed at 74 yards per game, so less than half of what OSU and Penn St. allow.

We want to prove these guys wrong that they’re not this stout run defense that they keep claiming to be. Okay . . . then what, Terps?

Yeah, run the ball right into the teeth of Iowa's defense and see what happens. Iowa's D is traditionally stout in the middle. So yeah, I hope MD goes with that strategy.

Latest posts