Marv Cook "loved" the 3rd and 1 call

OK Geniuses.

Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Box Score - August 31, 2013 - ESPN

Facts help when emotion clouds judgement. Go ahead....read through it like I did. Line by line.

Iowa ran the ball 43 times.

***They got positive yards all 43 times.***

Any by any logical extension, then would have again gotten a positive result on either 3rd or 4th down of that DUMB home run play series.

DUMB call.

So why not just hammer it up in there on fourth down after you took your shot? Right?

The third down call was a good one. It didn't work, but that doesn't mean it was a bad call. Not going for it on fourth was dumb. If you are going to do the first, you have to have the sack to do the second. In my internet opinion as a non-Iowa fan observer of course.

But you must not understand that NI had 9 guys in the box. They knew Iowa was gonna run it.

Again, 43/43 for positive yardage. All game. Short yardage situations, long yardage situations, own end of field, opposite of field, middle of field, etc etc etc.

And no, they didn't have 9 men in the box.

Guess again. DUMB call.

So why not just hammer it up in there on fourth down after you took your shot? Right?

The third down call was a good one. It didn't work, but that doesn't mean it was a bad call. Not going for it on fourth was dumb. If you are going to do the first, you have to have the sack to do the second. In my internet opinion as a non-Iowa fan observer of course.

Because they HAD NO INTENTION OF GOING FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN from their own 40. (or else they would have)

The 3rd down bomb was NOT a throw-away down.

Jeeze...is this really that hard to comprehend?

Again, 43/43 for positive yardage. All game. Short yardage situations, long yardage situations, own end of field, opposite of field, middle of field, etc etc etc.

And no, they didn't have 9 men in the box.

Guess again. DUMB call.

LOL.......................seth and phoenix, I was just jerking your chains on this. I posted all week how absolutely dumb it was. I just got so sick of so many saying it was anything other than dumb that I decided to have some fun with it.

I not only think it was a dumb call, I think it may have been the most foolish situational call of any kf season.

FreedComanche

LOL.......................seth and phoenix, I was just jerking your chains on this. I posted all week how absolutely dumb it was. I just got so sick of so many saying it was anything other than dumb that I decided to have some fun with it.

I not only think it was a dumb call, I think it may have been the most foolish situational call of any kf season.

FreedComanche

Lol....damm Comanche...you had me worried I might have to put you back on your reservation.

FreedComanche

I'm not really surprised, especially after you stuck with it.

The problem is that there are a lot of people out there that really think this was a great call, or "would have been."

Unfortunately, too many of them are on the coaching staff.

I want to hear more about how Cook lies just to get a coaching job at Iowa. That's cool.

Don't know why he thought that call was good. Doesn't matter to me, though. I don't care if everybody thought it was a good call. Probabilities say it was about as foolish as you can get.

FreedComanche

If that play had hit I doubt there'd be a post anywhere on this site that said,"Yeah, we got the TD, but that was STUPID! What are these morons thinking???"...fact is, as far as Iowa has fallen the past few years, anything that doesn't work is going to end up being "the stupidest thing ever" and the only thing that's going to change it is getting back to winning.

I want to hear more about how Cook lies just to get a coaching job at Iowa. That's cool.

It's not so much that he's lying for a job, it's that he's part of the family, and family circles the wagon closest when they are protecting a member that made a dumb, indefensible action.

Eh, I thought it showed some stones. Before Saturday, I assumed Kirk was keeping his on a jar on his desk. Even if it didn't work, it was nice to see him swirl a bit of flavor into his usual vanilla.

But you must not understand that NI had 9 guys in the box. They knew Iowa was gonna run it.

Do you think they had nine guys in the box because they didn't think they could stop us? Gee, even their alignment tells me they know they were ****ed if we ran it. Even in that alignment they were weak in the middle. We get one yard...sorry, won't believe we couldn't.

Do you think they had nine guys in the box because they didn't think they could stop us? Gee, even their alignment tells me they know they were ****ed if we ran it. Even in that alignment they were weak in the middle. We get one yard...sorry, won't believe we couldn't.

Scroll up to where I said I was joking around.

FreedComanche

We need to stop calling plays that don't work and call plays that work.

This isn't rocket surgery.

DUH.jpg

No, you don't "get it". A long pass play like that is a lower percentage play, and so, by definition, harder to execute correctly. (That's why they only get thrown a few times a game). A running play is a much higher percentage play, which is why they get run 30-40 times a game. In a must-execute-correctly-or-you-lose-the-game situation like Iowa was in, where you have a choice between doing what you've done 40 times already successfully that day to get ONE SINGLE YARD, or instead throwing an unpracticed, rarely attempted throw that had already failed same day, they go with the literal long shot.

Are you seriously high right now? It wasn't a "Must execute or you lose the game" play. IT WAS THE THIRD QUARTER AND IOWA HAD A FOUR POINT LEAD! And it is not like NIU took the punt and scored. Iowa scored again after this play. It wasn't a crunch time, do or die play.

Good God, was I the only sober watching this?

maybe we should call up everyone who ever played at Iowa and then start a poll for them. cause then, and only then, would anyone be able to know if that was a good decision or not.

maybe we should call up everyone who ever played at Iowa and then start a poll for them. cause then, and only then, would anyone be able to know if that was a good decision or not.
That's a good idea, but it's inconclusive. The following groups need to be surveyed, and their opinions weighed in this order:

1. Former Iowa player
2. Season ticket holders
3. People who actually graduated from Iowa

This is the only way to ensure that people who know what they're talking about can properly decide how stupid this super important play call was.

Good call bad call whatever. I cant belive people are taking shots at Cook because he doesnt agree with them. SAD

You should ask my wife, alum and former season ticket holder. After that, ask her to name 3 current players or 5 all time.

Latest posts