Marv Cook "loved" the 3rd and 1 call

I think at that juncture we are 1 of 5 on third down in the second half. That always makes me think, chuck it deep to the new guy whose only played to crowds of about 750 people, let alone 75,000. We needed a freaking first down...and the risk reward was too much risk IMO. I'd like a follow up with Marv...would you go for it on fourth down with that offensive line and a big back?

Oh, and Marv...did you like the result of the play too? It's not hindsight...even if we would have scored, I would have said stupid call, but damn, a touchdown works.

I think at that juncture we are 1 of 5 on third down in the second half. That always makes me think, chuck it deep to the new guy whose only played to crowds of about 750 people, let alone 75,000. We needed a freaking first down...and the risk reward was too much risk IMO. I'd like a follow up with Marv...would you go for it on fourth down with that offensive line and a big back?
See, now you're just under-thinking things. In order to be an innovative, AGGRESSIVE playcaller, you need to go against type by completely abandoning your strengths and instead taking a once-in-a-million chance that the weakest part of your football team will come through in a clutch situation. It's what smart coaches do to win ballgames, like when Mr. Burns pinch hit Homer for Darryl Strawberry in the bottom of the ninth.

Kirk is just too aggressive. We need to fire him and hire a more conservative, run-first, play the percentages coach. Opinion.

Kirk is just too aggressive. We need to fire him and hire a more conservative, run-first, play the percentages coach. Opinion.
Or maybe some guy that actually uses what's working in any particular game. If only we had enough money to hire such an innovative and dynamic offensive mind.

If GD could utilize technology to harness the brainpower from the intellectual elite of this website(those that 'played' the game) on a real time basis I would book a Jan 1 trip to Florida.

I am with you. Where do these idiots on the internet think they get the right to talk badly about kf? I bet they couldn't be a tenth as successful as kf has been. Ya know, deep down they know we couldn't get anybody better. So he had a losing season last season. All the great head coaches have had losing seasons.

Bet he would have "loved" a successful running play even more.

You really don't get it. If that deep pass play is executed correctly on the field, it's game over. Look, kf and gd were being aggressive don't blame them. Blame the on field execution. Good grief...................reading some of you idiots on the internet, you would think that kf and gd are failures if they are not throwing and catching the balls on the field. Good night!

You really don't get it. If that deep pass play is executed correctly on the field, it's game over. Look, kf and gd were being aggressive don't blame them. Blame the on field execution. Good grief...................reading some of you idiots on the internet, you would think that kf and gd are failures if they are not throwing and catching the balls on the field. Good night!

No, you don't "get it". A long pass play like that is a lower percentage play, and so, by definition, harder to execute correctly. (That's why they only get thrown a few times a game). A running play is a much higher percentage play, which is why they get run 30-40 times a game. In a must-execute-correctly-or-you-lose-the-game situation like Iowa was in, where you have a choice between doing what you've done 40 times already successfully that day to get ONE SINGLE YARD, or instead throwing an unpracticed, rarely attempted throw that had already failed same day, they go with the literal long shot.

How many running plays had Iowa run that day that were for less than 1 yd? What percentage was that of all runs attempted? Now how many 'shots' had they taken of that distance? And what percentage was successful?

A good coach doesn't ask his kids to do what their least practiced and least successful at at the exact moment they could accomplish their goal by doing what they are best and most experienced at.

#clueless

The call would have been great if they knew they were going to go for it on 4th down. So, since they punted, it was a terrible call.

Dumb call.

It was not!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think it was a dumb call that means you have to say kf, gd, Chuck Long and Marv Cook were wrong. Think about that, man. They have a combined playing/coaching experience of about 200 years. And you think you know more than they do? Give me a break.

No, you don't "get it". A long pass play like that is a lower percentage play, and so, by definition, harder to execute correctly. (That's why they only get thrown a few times a game). A running play is a much higher percentage play, which is why they get run 30-40 times a game. In a must-execute-correctly-or-you-lose-the-game situation like Iowa was in, where you have a choice between doing what you've done 40 times already successfully that day to get ONE SINGLE YARD, or instead throwing an unpracticed, rarely attempted throw that had already failed same day, they go with the literal long shot.

How many running plays had Iowa run that day that were for less than 1 yd? What percentage was that of all runs attempted? Now how many 'shots' had they taken of that distance? And what percentage was successful?

A good coach doesn't ask his kids to do what their least practiced and least successful at at the exact moment they could accomplish their goal by doing what they are best and most experienced at.

#clueless

Sighs............................................................so you know more than kf, gd, Chuck Long and Marv Cook???????????????????????????????????????

It was not!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think it was a dumb call that means you have to say kf, gd, Chuck Long and Marv Cook were wrong. Think about that, man. They have a combined playing/coaching experience of about 200 years. And you think you know more than they do? Give me a break.

OK, it wasn't a dumb call.

It was a very dumb call.

Read Phoenix's excellent retort above.

#GoForItOn4thDownThen

Last edited:
The call would have been great if they knew they were going to go for it on 4th down. So, since they punted, it was a terrible call.

It was a responsible call to punt the ball. What would you have said if they went for it and didn't get it? You guys are so arrogant. Face it! kf is a good coach.

OK, it wasn't a dumb call.

It was a very dumb call.

Read Phoenix's excellent retort above.

#GoFotItOn4thDownThen

Again, you guys think you know more than a head coach who as numerous top ten finishes and bowl wins, an OC who has won a national championship. You think about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Geniuses.

Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Box Score - August 31, 2013 - ESPN

Facts helps when emotion clouds judgement. Go ahead....read through it like I did. Line by line.

Iowa ran the ball 43 times.

***They got positive yards all 43 times.***

Any by any logical extension, then would have again gotten a positive result on either 3rd or 4th down of that DUMB home run play series.

DUMB call.

But you must not understand that NI had 9 guys in the box. They knew Iowa was gonna run it.

Latest posts