Mark Dantonio on winning football

ChosenChildren

Say what you will, the MSU coach is making all of the right moves. Here is what he said recently when asked what it would take to win a big game (I can't remember which game it was, but it doesn't matter):

"We need to take care of the football and play with great emotion."

Schemes are important, but emotion (which includes aggressive blocking and tackling) is the most important ingredient in winning football.

Iowa played with NO EMOTION against Maryland and turned the ball over 3 times (including a ridiculous pick 6).

Penn State, playing with great emotion, took a vastly superior Ohio State team to double overtime last night. They played with heart, passion and tremendous intensity.

I still believe in this team and this coaching staff. We need to take care of the football and come out against Northwestern and play with great intensity. If we do that, we will win the game.

Emotion is the enemy - as soon as you let in emotion, you start questioning solid football decisions, like punting into the end zone from the opponents 43 yard line.

MSU played with some strong emotions yesterday after watching Michigan drive a spike into their field before the start of the game. MSU's final touchdown was a result of that spike.

Does KF know how to get the Hawks to 'play with an edge'? Against teams like ISU, WI, Neb, and Goofers....
You gotta get the kids to want to come out and kick those teams butts.

Say what you will, the MSU coach is making all of the right moves. Here is what he said recently when asked what it would take to win a big game (I can't remember which game it was, but it doesn't matter):

Schemes are important, but emotion (which includes aggressive blocking and tackling) is the most important ingredient in winning football.

Iowa played with NO EMOTION against Maryland and turned the ball over 3 times (including a ridiculous pick 6).

Penn State, playing with great emotion, took a vastly superior Ohio State team to double overtime last night. They played with heart, passion and tremendous intensity.

I still believe in this team and this coaching staff. We need to take care of the football and come out against Northwestern and play with great intensity. If we do that, we will win the game.

Talent is the most important ingredient in winning football. Emotion is rah-rah BS for sports movies. Superior talent wins the vast majority of the time. If emotion is so important why isn't every NCAA roster full of undersized walk ons? They clearly have more drive and heart to play if they are willing to overcome their physical limitation and play while still paying for school.

Talent is the most important ingredient in winning football. Emotion is rah-rah BS for sports movies. Superior talent wins the vast majority of the time. If emotion is so important why isn't every NCAA roster full of undersized walk ons? They clearly have more drive and heart to play if they are willing to overcome their physical limitation and play while still paying for school.

Obviously talent is more important than emotion (See ISU), but when you have two relatively even teams it can be a huge factor.

Obviously talent is more important than emotion (See ISU), but when you have two relatively even teams it can be a huge factor.

It is easier to show demonstrable emotion when you are physically more talented than the other team/player. A RB who lowers his shoulder and runs over a safety can get up woofing and showing emotion. The safety cannot. Doesn't mean the safety is playing with less fire. Just means that the safety is not physically a good enough athlete to tackle the RB one on one.

And the idea that the safety just needs to jack himself up more and then he'd be able to tackle the RB is nonsense. If a player is not playing hard, that will show up on the film, and I'm sure the coaches will correct it. I don't think emotion is our problem.

We've recruited a lot of kids with MAC level offers. It is not surprising we don't have a lot of margin for error. If we don't play clean football, we often lose. And it will be that way until we upgrade physical talent.

It is easier to show demonstrable emotion when you are physically more talented than the other team/player. A RB who lowers his shoulder and runs over a safety can get up woofing and showing emotion. The safety cannot. Doesn't mean the safety is playing with less fire. Just means that the safety is not physically a good enough athlete to tackle the RB one on one.

And the idea that the safety just needs to jack himself up more and then he'd be able to tackle the RB is nonsense. If a player is not playing hard, that will show up on the film, and I'm sure the coaches will correct it. I don't think emotion is our problem.

We've recruited a lot of kids with MAC level offers. It is not surprising we don't have a lot of margin for error. If we don't play clean football, we often lose. And it will be that way until we upgrade physical talent.

MSU the real "Bullies of the Big 10". Defense ranked top 5 in nation . MSU running circles around us in the recruiting arena. Not even close. Until we kick it up and recruit better athletes, nothing gonna change.

I call this KF on winning football....

Iowa football reminds me of a Henry Ford assembly line (not an analogy to being ancient) . Attempts are made to make things the same, and coached in the same way every time because the product works.

These are the fundamentals KF ascribes to:
(1)do things the same.
(2) do them correctly.
Proper preparations were made while the 'assembly line' was created; before production is started.

When the assembly line doesn't have all the proper parts, a car/football team may come off the line without, for example, wheels or an engine. No attempts are made to modify the assembly line with a, let's say, para sail to replace the engine or a track to replace wheels until proper wheel parts and engine parts can be procured. In the mean time, the car/team isn't capable of motion and will stay motionless for however long it takes to find proper parts.

Last edited:

Yes that state has turned to state. Same as this state has and will if we don't get our heads out of the sand.

I can't help but think that Dantonio runs a dirty program. I hate MSU almost as much as I do OSU. Thugs stay elegible there when they would be shown the door at Iowa.

Clearly, Iowa has been out-recruited by MSU and WI. Even NW has played a lot of catch up, along with MN. These are teams that Iowa has, in the past, handled pretty well on a consistent basis. Emotion...yeah. I get it. It can make a difference in a close game. But, football at Iowa is all about recruiting in the future, or we are in for more years of frustration.

Dantonio used to compliment Iowa a ton and when he got to Mich St said in numerous interviews that he wanted to build his team like Iowa and that Iowa did it right. Now, Mich St is the new Iowa in the BIG & pushed us down to Indiana, Minny & Purdue status level. Mich St replaced Iowa with Iowa's brand of ball, because they do it better now.

Dantonio the dbag's formula is to play criminals that just spent time in prison and to coach his players to make dirty hits to the greatest extent possible then stand over the injured players to yell at the refs even though it is clearly the dirty play that causes it. Msu is a disgrace to the Big 10 and college football. Msu Would not even think twice about playing someone following a DWI.

did someone say it was either emotion OR talent? no.

Dantonio the dbag's formula is to play criminals that just spent time in prison and to coach his players to make dirty hits to the greatest extent possible then stand over the injured players to yell at the refs even though it is clearly the dirty play that causes it. Msu is a disgrace to the Big 10 and college football. Msu Would not even think twice about playing someone following a DWI.

LOl. A little bitter are you? :D

Let's not forget the phantom injuries in the last few minutes of a game when Iowa is driving down the field. That can be added to your list.

Latest posts