Mark Dantonio on winning football

That too the fake injuries fake injuries. So his program is a combination of many dirty and unfair practices that should not be tolerated.

I'm not sure if this name has ever been thrown out but what about the Sparty DC, Pat Narduzzi as a potential replacement as a HC.

He doesn't have any head coaching experience but the Sparty D continues to be impressive year after year. I know a lot of people hope one of the Stoops or BB but I just don't see how th

Oklahoma is a better job than Iowa.
Wisconin is a better job than Iowa and BB left that to go to Arkansas. Wouldn't make sense to reverse and take a worse Big 10 job than he already had.
The Kentucky job is arguable but there's no doubt he's in a better conference and is building momentum.

I know some believe these guys have loyalty to Iowa but those were a lot of years back and why put yourself in a worse position.... just don't see it.

So anyways... this Sparty thread got me thinking that Narduzzi might be a name to go after in the future.

Say what you will, the MSU coach is making all of the right moves. Here is what he said recently when asked what it would take to win a big game (I can't remember which game it was, but it doesn't matter):

"We need to take care of the football and play with great emotion."

Schemes are important, but emotion (which includes aggressive blocking and tackling) is the most important ingredient in winning football.

Iowa played with NO EMOTION against Maryland and turned the ball over 3 times (including a ridiculous pick 6).

Penn State, playing with great emotion, took a vastly superior Ohio State team to double overtime last night. They played with heart, passion and tremendous intensity.

I still believe in this team and this coaching staff. We need to take care of the football and come out against Northwestern and play with great intensity. If we do that, we will win the game.

Emotion isn't the right word. His team played with anger and aggression. The problem is that the play on the field needs to drive the momentum of the team. When your team continuously wets the bed and your coach makes decisions that negatively effect the team, these emotions go away quickly.

I'm not sure if this name has ever been thrown out but what about the Sparty DC, Pat Narduzzi as a potential replacement as a HC.

He doesn't have any head coaching experience but the Sparty D continues to be impressive year after year. I know a lot of people hope one of the Stoops or BB but I just don't see how th

Oklahoma is a better job than Iowa.
Wisconin is a better job than Iowa and BB left that to go to Arkansas. Wouldn't make sense to reverse and take a worse Big 10 job than he already had.
The Kentucky job is arguable but there's no doubt he's in a better conference and is building momentum.

I know some believe these guys have loyalty to Iowa but those were a lot of years back and why put yourself in a worse position.... just don't see it.

So anyways... this Sparty thread got me thinking that Narduzzi might be a name to go after in the future.

Narduzzi will be a great head coach if that ever happens for him

Talent is the most important ingredient in winning football. Emotion is rah-rah BS for sports movies. Superior talent wins the vast majority of the time. If emotion is so important why isn't every NCAA roster full of undersized walk ons? They clearly have more drive and heart to play if they are willing to overcome their physical limitation and play while still paying for school.

You kinda missed the point here. Iowa and Northwestern have equal talent (I think). The point here is that, in a "match-up" game, the team that takes care of the ball and plays with intensity will win.

I would respectfully point out that teams with inferior talent win a lot of games in college football. Illinois just did it Saturday against Minnesota. Minnesota played flat and made critical errors. Illinois played hard and took care of the football on their own end. Penn State almost defeated a vastly superior Ohio State team as well. Iowa State defeated Iowa this year on a day when Iowa came out flat, uninspired and made numerous critical turnovers and penalties (I think Iowa's talent is superior to Iowa State, or at least most Iowa fans think so).

Iowa's roster is not made up of walk-ons. They are mostly two and three star players

You kinda missed the point here. Iowa and Northwestern have equal talent (I think). The point here is that, in a "match-up" game, the team that takes care of the ball and plays with intensity will win.

I would respectfully point out that teams with inferior talent win a lot of games in college football. Illinois just did it Saturday against Minnesota. Minnesota played flat and made critical errors. Illinois played hard and took care of the football on their own end. Penn State almost defeated a vastly superior Ohio State team as well. Iowa State defeated Iowa this year on a day when Iowa came out flat, uninspired and made numerous critical turnovers and penalties (I think Iowa's talent is superior to Iowa State, or at least most Iowa fans think so).

Iowa's roster is not made up of walk-ons. They are mostly two and three star players

I think there is a difference between playing flat and making critical errors. Minnesota lost because it is a one dimensional team that lacks high end talent and has little margin for error. It made errors on the road and therefore it got beat.

I also don't think Iowa played flat against ISU. Iowa got beat. Iowa couldn't impose its will running the ball and then couldn't execute in the passing game. Ruddock got shaky. On defense, ISU schemed to place Iowa LB's in space and continually attacked that matchup to move the ball in the 2nd half and win the game. None of that had to do with emotion. Spearman and Alston weren't going to better cover guys in space if they yelled more.

I like how Dantonio likes to run trick plays. Its a way to get players excited even if they backfire. The thing is, they seem to work more often than not, which is even more exciting. The point is even Dantonio knows he needs to do things that are risky but helps gets his team fired up.

Latest posts