Marcus Paige

hawkfan33

Banned
Watching Paige and UNC play against NC State, and Paige is turning in yet another underwhelming performance. I have to say at this point, I would not trade Clemmons for Paige. Paige just does not look physically ready to play at a big time college basketball level.

I like the players that Iowa has on their roster, but if Paige would have came to Iowa, I would have been really excited.

He isn't a Hawk, but he is still pretty good, he is going to struggle against guys like Brown who are really physical and athletic at this point in his career, just like most young PG's who need work in the weight room.

The one thing that impressed me the most when I watched Anthony play in HS was that he looked like he belonged on a college floor at that moment. It was everything that wasn't basketball related that really got me excited that Clemmons was a Hawk.

Another thing that impressed me was that he was the 3rd option most of the time on his team and Valentine was the number one option offensively, but he still averaged 14 ppg from rebounds, steals and understanding how to run a fast break. One block he had and dunk was something I had never seen happen so fast in high school.

Glad Clemmons is a Hawk and wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point, Fran stole one there in a big way, much bigger than finding White.

I would say that it is way too early to tell what type of a player any of them will be. Barnes wasn't a bust people just put unreal expectations on him. Paige needs time to put weight on. He has tremendous upside. And I think that most at unc thought he would be backing up marshall this yr and not having to start until his soph yr...allowing him to gain weight and experience.

I would say that it is way too early to tell what type of a player any of them will be. Barnes wasn't a bust people just put unreal expectations on him. Paige needs time to put weight on. He has tremendous upside. And I think that most at unc thought he would be backing up marshall this yr and not having to start until his soph yr...allowing him to gain weight and experience.

Apparently Roy doesn't think he has as much upside as what people want to believe he has two more PG's coming in the next two seasons.

Apparently Roy doesn't think he has as much upside as what people want to believe he has two more PG's coming in the next two seasons.

They only have 1 true pg now. You should have 2-3 that can play the spot. Look at what it did to iowa only having 1 true pg the previous 2 yrs. Marble did ok filling in but bryce was our only true pg and it was a little straining.

They only have 1 true pg now. You should have 2-3 that can play the spot. Look at what it did to iowa only having 1 true pg the previous 2 yrs. Marble did ok filling in but bryce was our only true pg and it was a little straining.

I don't disagree, but they have 2 of the more highly rated guys in the next two classes coming in behind him, probably as good or better prospects as Paige.

Min
FG%
3pt%
FT%
Reb
Ast
Stl
TO
Pts
Paige
Clemmons

Both have similar results so far. You be the judge.

I don't disagree, but they have 2 of the more highly rated guys in the next two classes coming in behind him, probably as good or better prospects as Paige.

Remember it is unc so no matter who they bring in (starter or back up) they are going to be highly rated. Roy has to look at the whole team not just pg as the whole team seems to not be meshing and I believe that is the main problem. Paige is good and he needs some help and some competition and some added weight.

MinFG%3pt%FT%RebAstStlTOPts
Paige26.732.630.580.02.54.41.12.56.7
Clemmons19.138.434.563.31.94.10.61.75.0

What have Clemmons' averages been since he has been a starter, anybody know?

Since been inserted in the lineup, Iowa has been a different team, he plays good defense and runs the fast break better than a whole lot of PG's Iowa has had lately.

That's just part of playing at UNC, though. They don't need to take fliers.

That's just part of playing at UNC, though. They don't need to take fliers.

It is surprising that they would go after three guys in a row so similar though especially when they have other areas that need help as evidenced by tonight's game...ugh

MinFG%3pt%FT%RebAstStlTOPts
Paige26.732.630.580.02.54.41.12.56.7
Clemmons19.138.434.563.31.94.10.61.75.0

Pro-rating Clemmons' rebounds, assists, steals, turnover and points to Paige's minutes they are virtually identical.

I guess I just appreciate more what Fran has done with the talent he is bringing in. Clemmons/Gessell have really done a nice job when you consider that a true talent like Paige struggles. Paige will be fine though -- I think his biggest problem is that now Roy will bring in another 5 star PG and Marcus may not get the PT he hough he was going to get.

Yep, this one is on Roy Williams for not having another PG on the roster to allow Paige to develop. Instead he has been thrown into the lineup and learning on the fly. He will be just fine. Give him the off season to get stronger and come back more mentally prepared to tackle the ACC. He wasn't going to be a 1 year guy at his size. UNC fans need to be patient. That said, he is still having a decent freshman year, just not at an all-ACC type of season that UNC fans are used to.

If you look at ome of the advanced stats on sites like sports reference, statistically Clemmons is the better player.

Latest posts