Marble

Marble deserves to start somewhere. It's not even a question from what I've seen. I don't care if the whole team is 100%, he needs to start.

I agree with this, he is playing the best of all the players on the team. Get this kid starting.

Marble could be like a rover out there. Not really playing a particular position. Just get him out there and tell him that when he has the ball he is free to go. Don't forget about how much he helps out on D too.

Marble could be like a rover out there. Not really playing a particular position. Just get him out there and tell him that when he has the ball he is free to go. Don't forget about how much he helps out on D too.

He's got some length and quickness he can disrupt a lot, if he's motivated like he has been.

Nothing wrong with keeping devyn coming off the bench. You've got to have some offense off the bench and he certainly provides a spark for us in that capacity.

A side note for sure and maybe another thread:
Basabe should be a small forward or might eventully become a shooting guard, but should never be a center. Right now, he's a stop gap center.
He can't defend in the low post. He tries to wildly throw up a shot over a taller and stronger defender.
He'd better practice his outside jumper more.

Last edited:
Basabe should be a small forward or might eventully become a shooting guard, but should never be a center.

Basabe is a 4.

A 3 is a wing player and needs to be able to handle the ball and hit the 3 at times. Basabe can do neither of these.

Basabe as a shooting guard? wow, just wow.

Like I tried to convey before:
for his talents, Basabe should be facing the basket.
Now the question I have is: will he always be too uncoordinated to be a shooting guard?

Basabe should be a small forward or might eventully become a shooting guard, but should never be a center. Right now, he's a stop gap center.
He can't defend in the low post. He tries to wildly throw up a shot over a taller and stronger defender.
He'd better practice his outside jumper more.

If he lives to the age of infinity he won't become a shooting guard. Do you watch games using Braille?

Nothing wrong with keeping devyn coming off the bench. You've got to have some offense off the bench and he certainly provides a spark for us in that capacity.

Marble is the best player on the team right now. There's everything wrong with keeping him on the bench. Our team is better whether he's playing 1, 2, or 3. He has the STATS to prove it.

A side note for sure and maybe another thread:Basabe should be a small forward or might eventully become a shooting guard, but should never be a center. Right now, he's a stop gap center.He can't defend in the low post. He tries to wildly throw up a shot over a taller and stronger defender.He'd better practice his outside jumper more.
If he lives to the age of infinity he won't become a shooting guard. Do you watch games using Braille?

Ha! good one!!

Agree on a couple of fronts here. Marble should get all the PT his legs can endure and that includes starting. Why bring him off the bench when we are already down 8+ points? Outside of Marble, nobody is capable of going 1:1, which means we have no run stoppers on the floor when he is on the bench.

Regarding Basabe being a shooting guard, that is a serious stretch IMO. He should take his guy away from the basket and square up for that mid range jumper if not contested. When contested, he can shot fake and drive.

Agree on a couple of fronts here. Marble should get all the PT his legs can endure and that includes starting. Why bring him off the bench when we are already down 8+ points? Outside of Marble, nobody is capable of going 1:1, which means we have no run stoppers on the floor when he is on the bench.

Regarding Basabe being a shooting guard, that is a serious stretch IMO. He should take his guy away from the basket and square up for that mid range jumper if not contested. When contested, he can shot fake and drive.

This. The only way in which Basabe could project to the NBA as an off guard is his height. He has NONE of the necessary skill to actually play the position, however, and never will. He could MAYBE become a 3 with serious work on his ball handling and outside shot. I'd be thrilled if he improved that much by the time he's a senior. But he'd have to take yet another step up in both departments to be a SG.

Like I tried to convey before:for his talents, Basabe should be facing the basket.Now the question I have is: will he always be too uncoordinated to be a shooting guard?

Now the question I have is: do you even watch Iowa bball games? Basabe too un-coordinated? How about having a good shooting touch and some range first? You've gotta be freaking kidding me. This board gets dumber by the day. After all, we're talking about a SHOOTING guard. Ya know, the guys that are usually the best shooters on the team.

One would think that since we have 3 guards coming in next year that it is probably not in the cards to try to convert a 6"7 forward to shooting guard, but I guess it takes all kinds.

Basabe is the classic tweener forward. Not big enough to be a four, not skilled enough to be a three. These types of players usually thrive as energy guys off the bench.

He was just another in a continual line of freshmen that got way too much playing time because they were on horrible Iowa teams. Just like Gatens and May the expectations were way too high. He should work to develop a Rodman-like game.

I agree that Basabe is a tweener, but I think his game is fine. Yes he needs more work etc., but guys like Rodman aren't made, they are born. Who would have thought Bowen would have played 10 years in the NBA? I doubt anyone, but he did because he was "one of those guys" that never took a play off, hustled, tipped balls, got boards.

One aspect of Cole's game that got overlooked was his interior passing (mainly to Basabe) and the fact he took attention off Basabe. I still think Basabe will have a solid career at Iowa once we get some players on the floor around him. Bulking him up is still a head scratcher, but at least they saw the error and reversed it early in the year.

lets look at this as a need to make the team better from the start
Cartwright needs to get healthy
Marble needs the start either as a 2 or 3
Gatens needs to start at either the 2 or 3
Basabe is getting down to his playing weight
we need someone to step into the center spot
McCabe is the best option to date
most of his fouls are the illegal screens, this can be worked out in practice
when Olaseni get healthy from his hip flexor he should start getting minutes as he can't do any worse than Archie or Brommer
and we will need him to have experience to work with Woodbury

Latest posts