Marble legitimate shot at making First team Big 10 next year?

Possible all league performers:

IU- Ferrell, Sheehey
PU- Hammonds( I give him the edge on Woody), Terone Johnson
Mich- McGary(lock), GRIII( near lock), Stauskus
MSU- Harris(lock),Payne(lock), Appling,Dawson.
OSU- Craft(lock), Thompson,Smith jr.,Ross.
Ill- Egwu,Abrams
NW- Crawford(near lock)
Wis- Gasser, Brust, Dekker
PSU- Frazier,Newbill,Marshall
Minny- Hollins,Hollins
Neb- Shields

From your list these are the favorites IMO...thinking 1st or 2nd team. I have 12 listed so I'll cover my backside by saying the media and coaches won't agree on the 2nd team.

IU - Ferrell
PU - T. Johnson
Mich - McGary and Robinson
MSU - Harris and Payne
OSU - Craft
Ill - None
NW - None
Wis - Dekker
PSU - Frazier and Newbill
Minny - Hollins (the good one)
Neb - None
Iowa - Marble

Dakich loves that story.

Did you know RDM's dad is Iowa's all-time leading scorer?

I hadn't heard that. Did you know Basabe originally committed to Siena to play for Fran, but followed Fran to Iowa? Just once I'd like to hear an announcer mention this

I love Aaron White, and he may put up the stats to warrant a 2nd team selection. But IMO his game does not. White scores pretty much all his points off putbacks and in transition. There is nothing wrong with that, but in the half court his offensive game is extremely limited. Players like him are very valuable though: guys that can score points without running any plays for them.

And what I say time and again, he was out of position on defense. Instead of being ready on the help side he simply didn't get where he needed to be. Instead of covering on his zone side, he was constantly getting beat. Instead of consistently boxing his mad out and getting a simple rebound, he was the one who let opponents in for putbacks. He can do some exciting things on offense and defense, but the "in the trenches" stuff he simply isn't there.

And what I say time and again, he was out of position on defense. Instead of being ready on the help side he simply didn't get where he needed to be. Instead of covering on his zone side, he was constantly getting beat. Instead of consistently boxing his mad out and getting a simple rebound, he was the one who let opponents in for putbacks. He can do some exciting things on offense and defense, but the "in the trenches" stuff he simply isn't there.

Let's hope post #65 doesnt occur from you.

He needs to do a lot of work between now and then. Mainly to increase his strength. Too often he was manhandled by opponents. Plus, it will be hard to leapfrog over the returnees from the second and third team All B1G. *IF* he can be somewhat consistent and not have games like the NIT Finals (where he was manhandled) where he simply handed the ball to the opponent, he has a shot at 1st team.

Marble won't be a 1st-team ABT. There are some locks at this point, plus if Iowa doesn't beat anyone of worth outside of Wisconsin, he won't be there.

Did you know Tim Frazier missed the entire season, if he has a pulse, he will be on.
Gary Harris, Adriean Payne are locks
Remember Aaron Craft was 1st team on one of the teams
McGary or GR3 will be on most likely

I don't see Marble getting there unless he has an absolutely phenomenal season at the wing position, something he hasn't been able to do. When he plays off the ball against guys who are as big and more athletic, he struggles.

Some freshman that will be on the radar:
Loving - OSU
Irvin - UM
Nunn - Illinois
Vonleh - IU

I think those guys have a shot to make some serious noise this year and get their names in the mix.

Marble won't be a 1st-team ABT. There are some locks at this point, plus if Iowa doesn't beat anyone of worth outside of Wisconsin, he won't be there.

Did you know Tim Frazier missed the entire season, if he has a pulse, he will be on.

I don't see Marble getting there unless he has an absolutely phenomenal season at the wing position, something he hasn't been able to do. When he plays off the ball against guys who are as big and more athletic, he struggles.

Loving - OSU
Irvin - UM
Nunn - Illinois
Vonleh - IU

I think those guys have a shot to make some serious noise this year and get their names in the mix.

Are you related to Loving? Your expectations for him are way out of line. He's not going to come close to averaging double double digits, let alone making All B10. Ross and Smith have a much better shot at making first team than Loving.

If Iowa finishes in the top 4 and Marble puts up something like 17/5/3, he has a great shot at first team.

Free throws, not putbacks. If he was able to be strong on the glass and get some bunnies, he'd average 15-18 ppg.

this is a very good point and often overlooked. i'd like to see a percentage of his points as FT's. i bet he'd be one of the highest in the NCAA's at that. many games he had like 15 points and 10 of it was FT's.

also, to the OP, and also pointed out by Tork, Marble will have to put up silly ridiculous numbers to get 1st team. the league will be great again next year, esp at SG and SF. first team all big team next year might just guarantee a first round pick in the draft.

Are you related to Loving? Your expectations for him are way out of line. He's not going to come close to averaging double double digits, let alone making All B10. Ross and Smith have a much better shot at making first team than Loving.

If Iowa finishes in the top 4 and Marble puts up something like 17/5/3, he has a great shot at first team.

Not related just have seen him play...he needs strength, but that is it...kid can flat out play. He can shoot from anywhere and is very smart.
He will surprise you and he may be one of their best all-around players by the end of the season.

I love Dev....but....aint gonna happen......he is not even close to havin that kind of game that Burke had, or even Appeling, or even Yogi.......Dev has way too many TO's & can't stay with the likes of these guys

I love Dev....but....aint gonna happen......he is not even close to havin that kind of game that Burke had, or even Appeling, or even Yogi.......Dev has way too many TO's & can't stay with the likes of these guys

No one is going to confuse Marble for Burke. I would definitley take Marble over Appling and Yogi.

Loving - OSU
Irvin - UM
Nunn - Illinois
Vonleh - IU

Harris and Payne are highly probable as is Frazier if he's able to bounce back 100% from his injury. Marble is right there in the mix with anyone else on this list IMO. I think 2nd team is more likely but he definitely has a legitimate shot at 1st team IMO.

Frazier is coming back from an achilles tear...that is not a slam dunk. Often guys lose a step..we will see.
Appling had a very inconsistent year....Marble was better.

Payne,McGary,Craft and Gary Harris are good bets...Marble could slip in as the 5th.

Frazier is coming back from an achilles tear...that is not a slam dunk. Often guys lose a step..we will see.

Payne,McGary,Craft and Gary Harris are good bets...Marble could slip in as the 5th.

It probably will depend on how Iowa does in the conference. If Marble has a great year and Iowa finishes in the top three, it might be hard for him not to be first team big 10. If Iowa has a great year, there might be someone else that might get the nod over Marble at Iowa. If Iowa finishes fifth or lower, I doubt anyone from Iowa will make it.

If they crack down on the body bumping, knocking players off balance, etc. then Craft will suffer as much as anyone from this rule change IMO. Craft will still be a very good defender but could also spend time on the bench in foul trouble. Even if this isn't enforced he still has to up his offensive game to make 1st team IMO. I think he is more likely to land on the 2nd team.

McGary really looked good in the NCAA Tournament when everyone was focused on stopping Burke. Also, Burke consistently got him the ball in the right place...allowng McGary to perform at a higher level. He he is big boy, turns 21 before next year and will be a good rebounder. Is he really a scorer? I'm not so sure. Teams are also going to game plan more for him. How will he do when he's 1 of the primary focal points of a defense?

I'm not crowning McGary as a 1st team guy based on a nice run at the end of the year with the national player of the year feeding him the ball. I want to see what he can do over the course of the season, drawing attention from the defense, making less than half of his FTs and not playing with Burke at the point. I think he's more likely 2nd or 3rd team.

White's game = Basabi's game....garbage around the basket.

Occasional thunderous dunks look cool....little else being contributed offensively.

White's game = Basabi's game....garbage around the basket.

Occasional thunderous dunks look cool....little else being contributed offensively.

That's not totally accurate, IMO. White does more in transition than Basabe does, and he's able to drive and get to the free throw line quite a lot. Don't get me wrong, he's still limited in the half court. But he does do more than get garbage buckets.

And before the usual bashing starts....feel free to examine the stats first....

Iowa Official Athletic Site - Men's Basketball

The only place I give Basabe the edge is blocking shots. I think rebounding is a wash. Both are often out of position on defense...so a wash. White has the edge everywhere else...especially at getting to the FT line and also making them. The potential to improve significantly in the off season is also a huge advantage to White IMO.

The only place I give Basabe the edge is blocking shots. I think rebounding is a wash. Both are often out of position on defense...so a wash. White has the edge everywhere else...especially at getting to the FT line and also making them. The potential to improve significantly in the off season is also a huge advantage to White IMO.

I should add that Basabe has a huge advantage in minutes spent in Fran's dog house for a variety of reasons.

Latest posts