Marble best player on the court yesterday

He was the best player and the most complete player. He did everything.

Those Aaron Craft fanboys can go pound sand. Being a great defender doesn't mean cat scratching and clawing at the ball until you rake it out of someone's hands. Defense is played with the feet, not the hands.

Marble defended, played unselfishly, made difficult shots, hit 3's, ran the point, posted up, and looked very smooth and effortless doing it.

I have been wondering this myself lately. I wonder if this is why he has been posting up more, to show the scouts that is part of his game. I have always said the only way Marble could get to the next level was if he could run the point but now I wonder if he can't make it as a small forward.

I think the small forwards in the NBA are too athletic for him, but I am starting to wonder if he can become a solid 2 guard in the NBA. Even though I think his best path would be to follow the Carter-Williams role and be a solid 6'6 pg. He has the tools to hit the open guys, and can take the smaller guards to the hole when he needs to.

Edit: But to your point, he isn't done maturing yet, so he may be able to get athletic enough to be a NBA small forward. I need to remember he is a year younger than all of the other seniors.

I love Marble, and he is a great Hawkeye. I just don't know if he translate to the NBA. He doesn't have the handles to be a NBA PG, and he doesn't have the outside stroke to be a SG, and he doesn't have the athleticism to be a SF.

That said, he is a great college BB player. You don't have to have NBA skills to be a very good/great college BB player, it is a totally different game.

I think Marble and White are the keys. Marble is the best all around player. White is the will and the spark of the team.

I agree with all that has been said about Marble and the NBA. If he only shot the perimeter more consistent he would make a nice shooting guard and he needs another 2 inches along with weight to be a small forward. So I agree, more than likely he ends up being a great college player. Perhaps trying to find a way for Marble to make the NBA is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. But I see how much his game has grown and how athletic he is it is hard to imagine after this season he simply hangs them up. Someone will give Marble a shot at the NBA, if undrafted it will be as a free agent. He would make one heck of a d-league player if he does not give Europe a try.

I agree with all that has been said about Marble and the NBA. If he only shot the perimeter more consistent he would make a nice shooting guard and he needs another 2 inches along with weight to be a small forward. So I agree, more than likely he ends up being a great college player. Perhaps trying to find a way for Marble to make the NBA is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. But I see how much his game has grown and how athletic he is it is hard to imagine after this season he simply hangs them up. Someone will give Marble a shot at the NBA, if undrafted it will be as a free agent. He would make one heck of a d-league player if he does not give Europe a try.
Not every nba player fits a mold. There are guys in the league that I think have not business being there. I think the thing that will help marble the most is the flashes he has shown in transition. The floater, pull up jumper, taking it to the rim while staying in control. His 3 point shot is looking much better ( unlike his free throws). That 24 second shot clock, I believe, will play to his strengths. We complain time to time about our offense going stale, and marble overhandeling. This is what the nba is all about. 3 guys playing offense and 2 guys clearing out to create space. Marble is at his best in space.

Not every nba player fits a mold. There are guys in the league that I think have not business being there. I think the thing that will help marble the most is the flashes he has shown in transition. The floater, pull up jumper, taking it to the rim while staying in control. His 3 point shot is looking much better ( unlike his free throws). That 24 second shot clock, I believe, will play to his strengths. We complain time to time about our offense going stale, and marble overhandeling. This is what the nba is all about. 3 guys playing offense and 2 guys clearing out to create space. Marble is at his best in space.

People who say this are usually the ones who stopped seriously watching the NBA 10 years ago. This isn't Allen Iverson's NBA anymore. Teams actually play defense and pass the ball now, and some of them do it exceptionally well. The Warriors are great on defense and few, if any teams are better at passing. The Heat have LeBron, and even they aren't just running iso all the time. Kobe has become much more of a playmaker over the last few years.

I got sick of the post-Jordan ball and stopped watching, but I've picked it up again the last several years, and it's not comparable. They're playing basketball again.

People who say this are usually the ones who stopped seriously watching the NBA 10 years ago. This isn't Allen Iverson's NBA anymore. Teams actually play defense and pass the ball now, and some of them do it exceptionally well. The Warriors are great on defense and few, if any teams are better at passing. The Heat have LeBron, and even they aren't just running iso all the time. Kobe has become much more of a playmaker over the last few years.

I got sick of the post-Jordan ball and stopped watching, but I've picked it up again the last several years, and it's not comparable. They're playing basketball again.

You are right there is more offense sets being run and they are now playing defense. But with a 24 second shot clock you still see a lot of isolation being run. I watch a lot of Bulls basketball and they will run a set play but if it does not work they hand the ball off to DRose and let him go to work. Every team has to have a go to guy when plays fall apart. I am not saying Marble can be that type of player in the NBA but with the improvements I have seen in his game this year I wonder if an NBA team will take a chance on him.

Fortunately we have the next 2+ months to enjoy watching him in a Hawkeye uniform.

You are right there is more offense sets being run and they are now playing defense. But with a 24 second shot clock you still see a lot of isolation being run. I watch a lot of Bulls basketball and they will run a set play but if it does not work they hand the ball off to DRose and let him go to work. Every team has to have a go to guy when plays fall apart. I am not saying Marble can be that type of player in the NBA but with the improvements I have seen in his game this year I wonder if an NBA team will take a chance on him.

Fortunately we have the next 2+ months to enjoy watching him in a Hawkeye uniform.

Iso is definitely still part of the game, but the guys who are good at it are the guys like Rose, LeBron, Durant, etc. Marble isn't on that level and never will be. He fits that role well for a college team, but he'll have to make himself fit into a different role if he's going to make it in the NBA.

Here is an NBA mock draft that was updated on 01/09 so it doesn't factor the terrific performance he had at OSU: 2014 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

Interesting- they have Craft as the #57 pick. I have stood behind the fact that I believe he is a great college player and a great defender but I give him 0 shot at the NBA.

I checked this same site prior to the season and linked it somewhere here on HN so I'm sure if you search you can find it but it had RDM listed as the last pick in the draft.

I said prior to the season that he will get drafted and I'm standing behind that. I beleive last year he had a slump in the middle of the season but I also think he was banged up last year.

His defense is much improved. Last year he averaged just over 1 steal a game and this year he is up to over 2.

Other than the free throw shooting, I think Dev has been great all year. He has tried to do too much at times but I think you will see less of that as the season goes as we have seen White step up and we also need Uthoff to continue to score and be even more agressive.

Anyways... of course I'm no NBA scout but that's just my opinion that we see Devyn's name get called in the draft and I sure hope so as it can only help recruiting for Fran.

Ok... so I'm not sure how credible this site is becuase it says it was last updated tomorrow and it's walterfootball.com.

However, here is a link showing Marble going 43rd to Detroit which would be interesting. It also has Kane from ISU going 36th to the Sacramento Kings.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NBA Mock Draft

Ok... so I'm not sure how credible this site is becuase it says it was last updated tomorrow and it's walterfootball.com.

However, here is a link showing Marble going 43rd to Detroit which would be interesting. It also has Kane from ISU going 36th to the Sacramento Kings.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NBA Mock Draft

Aaron Craft going 2 spots after Marble, haha, the NBA is going to eat that punk alive.

I cannot put much faith into this site since you really have to dig in order to create a decent NBA mock draft that projects into the 2nd round. The 2nd round is where many teams will "draft and follow" european players and these writers only have a few european players taken.

But good find, thanks for sharing it.

You must have missed what I said under that. Didn't say Iso, I said 3 players in the set. There is a difference. My point was the nba spacing will be good for marble

We saw a much improved shot selection and a much greater willingness/ability to share the ball at crunch time from Dev vs. OSU. He continued to work on the defensive end as well. In the past putting the ball in his hands at the end of games often resulted in him going one on one and forcing a contested shot..... possession after possession. I thought he was outstanding against OSU and if he continues to play the game this way and at this high a level the Hawkeyes are in good shape. Dev may well be our best option for points, but the normal Iowa offense will generate us better shots and better chances to score than Dev going MJ. Looking to others will also make his shots easier to find.

He could have an outside chance at the NBA if he continues to play like he did against OSU IMO, but he's a tweener that will struggle finding a roster spot. Ironically his ability to distribute the ball is likely his best asset at the next level. He finds White like no one else on the team and generally gets White a couple of slams a game from good assists that others seem to miss seeing.

I thought victor oladipo(?) Didn't really have an nba game. Kind of poor man's d wade. Less skilled shooter..... he is having a good rookie year. Led the league in scoring last night with 33. Marble has more offensive skill than VO imo.

I thought victor oladipo(?) Didn't really have an nba game. Kind of poor man's d wade. Less skilled shooter..... he is having a good rookie year. Led the league in scoring last night with 33. Marble has more offensive skill than VO imo.

Oladipo wasn't a big three point shooter, but he was tremendous inside the arc (converted nearly 65% of his 2-point attempts). Marble is nowhere near where Oladipo was in terms of getting to the rim and getting high percentage shots. I obviously never got to see him play, but Oladipo's game made me think of what people say about Roy; outstanding slasher with unmatched explosiveness at the college level.

I watched the Iowa/OSU game after the fact and was going to post about this. But, Monday I went on a four day business trip. Marble was unstoppable in the first half. Iowa pretty much abused OSU's defense anytime they wanted throughout most of the game. Hopefully the pieces are starting to come together for a good run?

Marble again showed that he was the best player on the court again today. With his three point shooting today, he showed that he could be a NBA prospect. I previously thought he was more of a tweener that didn't fit the mold for any NBA positions, but today he shown he has the shooting and slashing ability of a NBA 2 guard. But he needs to work on his free throw shooting and then he will be unstoppable for the rest of the year.

Marble again showed that he was the best player on the court again today. With his three point shooting today, he showed that he could be a NBA prospect. I previously thought he was more of a tweener that didn't fit the mold for any NBA positions, but today he shown he has the shooting and slashing ability of a NBA 2 guard. But he needs to work on his free throw shooting and then he will be unstoppable for the rest of the year.
Agreed. B1G is arguably the best conference, and nearly every game we watch marble looks like the best player on the floor. Good sign for his future........ remember about this time last year when he disappeared for half of the B1G season. I would say that we will not see that again this year. If he is ready for the next level, he will shine down the stretch.

Latest posts