Man Crush: Luka Garza

Teams are gonna try to prevent the interior pass to Garza, we need a steam of cutters and Garza needs to quickly diagnose the double team and kick out the ball. INSIDE out the ball and push on transition as Garza is sprinting down the court on every possession. I was high on Garza from the beginning and thought he could be a star. A lot of posters were saying pass but he had something special that caught my eye.
Yeah he showed glimpses early on of how skilled he is. Now he's developed into a confident player who's worked his butt off. And it shows. I think he'd lost a ton of weight in HS prior to coming to Iowa and then the whole cyst thing before last yr happened. This is the first full yr of health he's had to work hard and look what he's done. He's obviously eating right and working out hard. He's in great shape and his shoulders and arms look noticeably more defined then 2 yrs ago. Fran hit on him that's for sure credit where credit is due

I agree with the OP. When i first saw Garza i wasn't very impressed. But now, my goodness -> even as a cyclone fan i can't help but like the guy. He plays hard, has gotten better every year, and i don't think i've heard anyone say anything bad about him. I'm just hoping he has an "off" night tomorrow in Hilton :)

After watching Garza and Oturu go after each other, there's no doubt I'd rather have Garza. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two as Oturu is a freshman, but it was fun to see the raw athleticism go up against a cerebral crafty player. Garza would find the open man when doubled/triple while Oturu would make up his mind to put the ball up and ended with 8 turnovers. I feel like Garza's game hasn't changed a ton since he was a freshman, he's just improved and become more efficient at that game.

After watching Garza and Oturu go after each other, there's no doubt I'd rather have Garza. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two as Oturu is a freshman, but it was fun to see the raw athleticism go up against a cerebral crafty player. Garza would find the open man when doubled/triple while Oturu would make up his mind to put the ball up and ended with 8 turnovers. I feel like Garza's game hasn't changed a ton since he was a freshman, he's just improved and become more efficient at that game.
Oturu is a sophomore

Even more impressive was that Garza stayed in 5 minutes longer than Oturu to start the game. Oturu was winning the matchup at that point too. Garza stayed with it and finished with a great game.

Latest posts