Malik Williams

deanvogs

Malik Williams is a big time '17 recruit that was at the Iowa V Purdue game on Sunday. He is the #35 rated player in the '17 class, and has a ton of offers. This would be a great get if Fran can reel him in!

http://sports.yahoo.com/iowa/basketball/recruiting/player-Malik-Williams-155060

[tweet]691324681941417984[/tweet]

CZgUIMpUUAAiXYx.jpg

Would be a huge get for Fran. Him and Cook banging around the inside in a few years along with Moss, Hutton, Wagner, Bohannon, Williams etc...yeah I'll take that.

Not being mean, but the dude accepted a walk-on position at Iowa. Just because he's playing and contributing means he has to be given a free ride now? Heck, maybe his parents are loaded and don't really give a rip about the money, and that's why he accepted the walk-on in the first place.

But, more than likely someone leaves the program and Fran shifts the scholly to Baer.

if basketball is like football, then walk on status doesn't have the same benefits as does a scholarship. eating, etc. besides, the kid earned it - why would you want to 'penalize' him like that?

Maybe you dont. He knew what he was signing up for walking on

I think this is the right answer. However, it is very rare that teams don't go through some natural attrition, so there will always be scholarships opening up. I think Iowa is just needing to take advantage of the roll they're on right now by reeling in the best recruits they can.

Fran has been so close to landing big recuits. A Big 10 title might me the difference. Baer is good and I love having him, but not at the expense of losing a top 50 player.

If anything Fran's kids should walk on. The university can give Fran a raise equal to the tuition costs of his kids. Problem solved.

Other than having the money, is there not a free tuition or some other benefit for the kids of university employees? I think Fran could see the benefit of this kid on schollie and paying for his own kid.

The way Fran is getting avg prospects to play as a team is wonderful. I'm not sure I want to attract the top 50, ball hogging Divas that would jeapordize that.
These guys are SRs/JRs and they understand their roles.
I'd give Baer a scholly in a NY minute before I'd slight him for another prospect. That's just my opinion, of course.

The way Fran is getting avg prospects to play as a team is wonderful. I'm not sure I want to attract the top 50, ball hogging Divas that would jeapordize that.
These guys are SRs/JRs and they understand their roles.
I'd give Baer a scholly in a NY minute before I'd slight him for another prospect. That's just my opinion, of course.

Understand the sentiment, but I feel it's misguided here. You find a scholarship for Malik Williams. You just do. I don't this it's even a possibility that both Baer and Conner play as walk-ons. Why not? NCAA allows 13 scholarship players. That would allow Iowa to have 15 legit B1G caliber scholly players for the price of 13. Anyone see an advantage in that? Hey, that's an extreme. But what isn't an extreme is finding a scholly for this kid if he wants to come here.

I wouldn't want 15 kids on the team. 8 or 9 would play and the rest would be frustrated and possibly/likely transfer.

It would be a no brainer for Fran to pay for his kid if it means he gets a top 50 on the team. That means more wins, which means more $ for Fran so he comes out ahead all around.

McDermott did it at Creighton for his son to get that annoying kid from Linn Mar another year. So I guess if the player of the year can be a "walk on", anyone can.

I think stop worrying about the Baer and scholarship thing. I believe Baer would actually appreciate that. Just leave it at that

Latest posts