Make your case

It's also my case for keeping him. He's just average. Not bad. Not what we're accustomed to. But overall average. That's entirely fine this year.

The argument that he is just good enough to win games because the rest of our team is awesome is true. But I suppose that is also the argument for giving Padilla a try...the D and ST can cover up his inevitable rookie mistakes, and if he has a higher ceiling than Petras, there would be a long-term benefit.

That reasoning makes sense in a vacuum, but there are 2 big issues in reality:
1) How does such a decision affect the chemistry of the team? You could also ask the converse: how does sticking with a struggling Petras affect the chemistry?

2) Do we have any reason to believe that Padilla has a higher ceiling?

They next two games are pretty interesting. I think Petras needs to be asked to make plays with his arm, and if he can't, someone else needs a chance at it. I am hoping Petras steps up and gets into a groove, but more than anything I just hope they find the best guy to win games.

The argument that he is just good enough to win games because the rest of our team is awesome is true. But I suppose that is also the argument for giving Padilla a try...the D and ST can cover up his inevitable rookie mistakes, and if he has a higher ceiling than Petras, there would be a long-term benefit.

That reasoning makes sense in a vacuum, but there are 2 big issues in reality:
1) How does such a decision affect the chemistry of the team? You could also ask the converse: how does sticking with a struggling Petras affect the chemistry?

2) Do we have any reason to believe that Padilla has a higher ceiling?

They next two games are pretty interesting. I think Petras needs to be asked to make plays with his arm, and if he can't, someone else needs a chance at it. I am hoping Petras steps up and gets into a groove, but more than anything I just hope they find the best guy to win games.
To be honest, the tackles need to be asked to freaking block a dude on the blitz, and the guards reminded that if you whiff on a guy on the first level you aren't really getting to the second level.

Thank God we're playing some average defenses coming up, so maybe everyone that needs some work can get the coaching help and execution in game that they need.

During our current 8 game winning streak, here are Petras' stats prior to obtaining a 2 score lead:

80/129 (62%), 974 yards (7.55 yds/att), 8 TD, 2 Int

Here are his stats when Iowa is up by 2+ scores:

36/75 (48%), 365 yds (4.87 yds/att), 1 TD, 0 Int
Stat of the day, stat of the day. Here comes the, what, stat of the day.

That's amazing, and had to take forever to compile. Wow. They're literally doing it on purpose. Apparently time of possession and sustaining drives just doesn't matter on the ol' offensive situation play chart.

Does it switch again when the opponent gets within 1 score?

Stat of the day, stat of the day. Here comes the, what, stat of the day.

That's amazing, and had to take forever to compile. Wow. They're literally doing it on purpose. Apparently time of possession and sustaining drives just doesn't matter on the ol' offensive situation play chart.

Does it switch again when the opponent gets within 1 score?

I looked at all offensive possessions where the opponent was within 8pts or less. I think the only game where the lead got above 8 pts, and then came back to within 8pts, was Wisconsin (Petras responded with a 53 yd TD to ISM).

Nebraska was the only game during the win streak that they never got the lead over one score. For what it is worth, Nebraska was also the last team to score 25+ points against us (end of 2018 in a 31-28 Hawks win).

The case for making the move now would be we 'should' have 2 cupcakes with Kent St and Colorado State next. It would give Padilla 2 games to get his feet wet with little worry of losing if he struggles.

However.... What if our O can't run the ball on them either and we put him in tough 3rd and longs all the time too? As bad (yes I think Petras has played bad despite not throwing interceptions) as Petras has done it's not all on him. Oline can't consistently get running game going. Receivers aren't getting open too well or catching it when it is put on em.

Iowa is last in the power 5 so far through 2 weeks of overall offense. I mean we all know it's not happening. KF isn't making a change. But it's honestly not the craziest thought ever in the history of crazy. It stinks that we don't have a more obvious better option...

Petras's first year as a starter, he got 0 preseason reps as qb1. He lost to Purdue by 4, and NW by 1. Since then he's won every game. His QBR was 119 last year, He's at 100.1 this year

Stanley's QBRs were 135.2, 136.5, and 131.3

Bethard's average qbr was 129.8

Ruddock (at Iowa) was 130

Vandenberg was 120.3

Stanzi was 141.6

Drew Tate was 137.1

Jake Christensen was 118.8

Nathan Chandler was 123.7

Brad Banks was 155.0
Chuck Long was 150.5
His QB rating will go way up after the next 2 games. He just finished playing against 2 of the best defenses in the country. Iowa State may not lose again this season and Indiana is very, very good.

Penn State will be a monumental test for Petras. They have a really good defense with some great LBs.

Just my two cents. It's all opinion, but going to Padilla would be a massive mistake. He's just not ready.

I think in time Petras will be as good as Stanley. Petras has excellent arm strength and he is a tall QB. Purdy's lack of height really hurt Iowa state.
I was thinking about the same thing. Purdy had several tipped passes, one which ended in an interception. Petras had at least one "tipped" but that was knocked out of his hand while he was in his throwing motion.

For all of the ISU fans touting Purdy, his height is far from ideal and you could make a good argument that it affected the game on Saturday.

I looked at all offensive possessions where the opponent was within 8pts or less. I think the only game where the lead got above 8 pts, and then came back to within 8pts, was Wisconsin (Petras responded with a 53 yd TD to ISM).

Nebraska was the only game during the win streak that they never got the lead over one score. For what it is worth, Nebraska was also the last team to score 25+ points against us (end of 2018 in a 31-28 Hawks win).
Wow. Brian with the "Stay down, or you will not be getting back up", shot.

This confirms a few things for me:

1) The perception that Iowa takes its foot of the opponent's throat unless they really really hate the other team is real, and done intentionally.

2) There are two Iowa qb modes - go get a score, and first do no harm. In mode one, you throw it and take risks to move the ball, the routes are drawn up to move the chains (7+ ypa), and score tds, and Petras is actually pretty lights out in that mode (143 qbr is getting it done at Iowa). The second is literally if your check down isn't there, throw it away or take a sack. If you aren't sure, throw it away. Taking a sack eats clock and punting is winning.

I imagine the running plays are the same - more production, more fumbles, and more tds before being up 2+ scores, 2 yards and a cloud of dust after.

I take everything back. Petras isn't bad at all. He's just doing what the coaches are asking him to do in game situations, despitethe factthat it makes his, and Iowa's overall, stats look putrid.

I don't agree with the style of that game plan. I think with 2+ scores you should open up the playbook and take more shots downfield because you have the opportunity to put a team down for good. Especially near the sidelines where a 30-yard INT is most likely to be like a punt. I assumed we weren't doing that because it would expose Petras more and lead to more 3 and outs. The stats here say that's not happening.

But I can't argue with the results, so what do I know?

I was thinking about the same thing. Purdy had several tipped passes, one which ended in an interception. Petras had at least one "tipped" but that was knocked out of his hand while he was in his throwing motion.

For all of the ISU fans touting Purdy, his height is far from ideal and you could make a good argument that it affected the game on Saturday.
He's most dangerous when he runs. And they didn't run him much.

Both sides present vadid arguments. Whether its right or wrong, there will never be a BETTER TIME to give Padilla starts!
Also, according to KF preseason, the 2 QBs were neck and neck. How long watching Petras struggle will Padilla figure out that Captain Kirk has no confidence in him and Padilla enters the portal or transfers?

in favor of giving Padilla the start vs Kent St.
SERIOUSLY...it isn't going to happen. Why do some of you guys keep beating a dead horse. I will promise you after 2 weeks of a line that is back healthy with Schott in place and we will have a different offense. I guarantee you Petras was told repeatedly do not lose the game in AMES...do not lose the game. That means take sacks, don't take a chance throwing an INT...ENJOY THE RIDE MAN. In case you haven't watched a Kirk team before we are a defense first team, play it close to the vest offensively, don't turn the ball over, and win the field position game.

Both sides present vadid arguments. Whether its right or wrong, there will never be a BETTER TIME to give Padilla starts!
Also, according to KF preseason, the 2 QBs were neck and neck. How long watching Petras struggle will Padilla figure out that Captain Kirk has no confidence in him and Padilla enters the portal or transfers?
Ok hold up. Your last post was the dumbest post of 2021. Until this one. Now that one is the second dumbest post of the year.

It's a quandary as old as football itself. Barring injury, QB1 gets all (or nearly all) the reps. Everything is on the table every week for all to see - good an bad.

QB2 is on the sideline with a funny red hat and clipboard for all the meaningful snaps. Is he any good? Who knows. Well, the coaches think they know, because they've been working these guys out and watching every single practice rep each guy's ever logged.

The coaches know a lot more about football than I do, so I'm sticking with Petras.

The whole Christensen/Stanzi thing kind of gums up the works a bit in my logic w/Iowa, but I'm still sticking with Petras.

I've seen Petras make some really, really nice throws. I think he can do it, but we gotta figure out how to get our WRs open on a more consistent basis, otherwise we're going to see a lot more throwaways, eating the ball, and forcing passes to LaPorta.

I’m starting to think you are just trying to stir shit up with this level of stupidity. In 2015, CJ had 0 games over 300 yards passing in one of our greatest seasons ever. In fact, he had 2 games under 100 yards passing. This is Iowa football under Kirk, it’s not sexy but it works more often than not.

Latest posts