Magic Bus Denied Permit

Permitting laws are in effect to prevent "businesses" that don't grease the right hand or that upset nanny state thinkers from operating. Remember when Dolls got shut down out by the interstate? Through the clever use of zoning and permitting laws, IC has been able to keep the fine art of topless dancing out of town.

What is the reason the city is using for them needing a permit?

First they came for the people throwing beer cans off the Fieldhouse parking garage
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a can thrower

Then they came for the people with hard liquor
And I didn't speak up because I only drink Coors Light

Then they came for the people with kegs
And I didn't speak up because I drink from a can

Then they came for Game Day Ron
And I didn't speak up because I shave with Gilette gel

Then they came for the Magic Bus
And by that time no one was left to speak up

Long live the People's Republic of Iowa City.

Nice. I posted this in the 'Roh Roh.... tailgating smack down looming' thread 3 weeks ago.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...ilgating-smack-down-looming-4.html#post167766

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Kegs,
and I didn't speak up because I drank my beer from a can.

THEN THEY CAME for the Field House Parking lot,
and I didn't speak up because I tailgated next to the stadium.

THEN THEY CAME for the Smokes,
and I didn't speak up because I don't smoke.

THEN THEY CAME for the Drinking Games,
and I didn't speak up because I liked to grill and listen to music.

THEN THEY CAME for me and my beer,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Remember when Sally Mason said that they are going to "change the culture of tailgating"? If you think that this isn't part of it and that the City isn't on board with this too you're kidding yourself.

OK...I know I will probably get destroyed by asking but I have to...what is the Magic Bus?

It's a school bus with kegs that has been around for a long long time. Proceeds go to charity and I think they even check id's and hand out wristbands.

It's a school bus with kegs that has been around for a long long time. Proceeds go to charity and I think they even check id's and hand out wristbands.
Sounds a lot more legit and organized than most things going on around the stadium on gameday.

OK...I know I will probably get destroyed by asking but I have to...what is the Magic Bus?
It's tailgating spot ran by the Iowa City Rugby team. They aquired an old school bus and use it as a stage for local bands. As Dexter stated above, they provide a keg truck and check ID's at the gate and you need to have a wristband on to gain entrance. All proceeds they make they give to local charities.

I have made the bus my tailgating spot since 2004 and have always enjoyed the music and giveaways they have. They also have a flatscreen for those unlucky enough to not have tickets so you can watch the game but hear the crowd.

IF the City of Iowa City stops the Magic Bus, college kids will quit drinking. Just like when they stopped kids from going into bars, the kids just stopped drinking, just as the City had planned. The kids now go to church events on Friday and Saturday evenings and drink colas or go play machines. These City folks are pretty smart. If you shut down all of these things, college kids will obey and just quit drinking like they plan.

Or at least they will be out of sight, out of mind. Now the kids will just meet in houses and apartments before games to party and drink even more before games and now may even have to drive to games. That is what we want isn't it. Those City folks know what they are doing that's for sure.

These college kids are done drinking now, that's for sure. For the first time since the University has opened, the City has stopped the kids from drinking...The City council gets dumber every year...

There should be a good lawsuit somewhere in all of this! AND major publicity around the country for the City. Whoever owns the Magic Bus should send this to all the major news outlets around the country for some good Iowa City publicity...

The students need to STEP UP and vote these fools out, as well as repeal the bar ban.

Not sure if this is true or not but isn't there going to be a vote sometime to appeal the bar ban? If so, you would hope the students would be voting in record numbers.

It's too bad that things like banning the Magic Bus couldn't be put to a vote. Nobody cares about electing city officials who make the rules. They should be allowed to propose rules but when possibly ruining traditions and affecting the freedoms of the people they should put these measures up for a vote, IMO.

I realize that's idealistic but it's disturbing seeing the way Iowa City's government representatives have no respect for the young people who are the lifeblood of the town.

This is crap and if they're going to neuter tailgating maybe Hawk fans should hit the University in the wallet and avoid the concession stands at all costs...I wouldn't want anyone to miss a game over it, but everyone can cut back their in-stadium purchases.

I do, except when I need a mixer... ;)

This is really too bad. The Magic Bus was one of those things that defined Iowa Tailgating. I'm sure they'll find a place but it won't be the same. Those who disapproved this must be very short sighted.

On a side note this article states that the permit law is overlooked by law enforcement for all the other "businesses" on Melrose on game day. I wonder if the folks who run the Magic Bus can file a discrimination lawsuit against the city?

Battle For Tailgating near Kinnick hits High Stakes | Eastern Iowa News Now

Highlights from the article:

Jann Ream with the Iowa City Code Enforcement Office said every commercial venture scattered along Melrose Ave technically needs a temporary-use permit to operate in a residential zoned area.

Ream said the city has never asked those commercial ventures to acquire the required permits, “We just tolerated it.â€￾

Ream said they have not asked any other commercial ventures to get those temporary-use permits. It’s unclear if the city will ask the others to get those technically required permits.

I'm not sure what restrictions there are or permits needed, but you would think there would be someone in the Kinnick area (with a large enough piece of land) that, with the stipulation of cleaning and paying for any damage (and maybe a free cup), would lend their yard for a few saturdays a year

I'm not sure what restrictions there are or permits needed, but you would think there would be someone in the Kinnick area (with a large enough piece of land) that, with the stipulation of cleaning and paying for any damage (and maybe a free cup), would lend their yard for a few saturdays a year

My understanding is that because the Magic Bus charges, it is considered a business, thus needs a permit to operate in an area that is zoned residential. I don't know if asking for a donation is enough to get around the law as one poster suggested but it's not just a matter of "here use my land".

\stupid city council

Would that really work? It would be hard to force the honor code on that with a bunch of poor college kids.

Then they shut it down if it becomes to expensive to keep running. I think people will pony up the dough. Or find an investor. I'm sure there's an alumni out there that would be willing to write off a charitable donation in the name of getting plastered.

Latest posts