Lunardi sees us losing in second round game to Ducks

Is this the same Lunardi who got 6% of the bracket right?

Well, notwithstanding his horrible bracket predictions, I agree with him. Fran is pathologically incapable of winning two tournament games in a row unless it is some meaningless preseason tournament with a bunch of teams that have RPI over 80 or the NIT.

Oregon :

* Pac 12 regular season champs
* 11 consecutive 20 win seasons (one of four nationally)
* 7 NCAA appearances under Altman
* Altman has never lost an opening round game as Oregon coach
* Under Altman = Sweet 16 four times, Elite 8 twice, Final Four once

Might be one of the reasons Lunardi gives them an edge. Hard to vote against it when looking at the coaching element only vs Iowa under Coach McCaffery.

His name has come up more than once in ISU's opening but doubt because of $$$$ but you never know. Would be a catch for sure.

Let's just win our opening game and go from there.

Two Words: Luka Garza.

Oregon doesn't have any size. Oregon hasn't faced anyone that plays the way Garza does. You can't guard him with 6'6" and 6'8" guys that aren't 260lbs. You will have to devise a defense to stop him and that's where our shooters pick you apart. Now, if we shoot 2-20, we likely lose and if we don't rebound on the defensive end...we may lose...but I like how we match up with Oregon, despite the fact that they are athletic at every position. Garza puts his body on you so you can't jump.

SantiAgus JC bloggs

Like I said, I think Iowa got a bad draw. Great seed (2), but a quite challenging road to the final four. I know people say the PAC-12 is garbage, but still to potentially face the conference champion in the 2nd round when you are a 2 seed....early time to face a conference champion in a major conference.

Then, you may have Kansas waiting for you...a team who has beat Baylor.

Then of course, Gonzaga.

However, it is time for Fran and the boys to step up and play up to their seed. No excuses.

If Iowa does it, they will more than earn it.

Last edited:
At least Lunardi got a few more clicks.

PAC 12 sucks. I wouldn't be surprised to see VCU beat Oregon in the first round.

If Iowa plays solid defense, hits a good percentage from deep, and Luka doesn't get into early foul trouble we have a great chance to go far. That being said, how many times have we seen teams face us and someone on the opposing team comes out of nowhere and puts up career highs on us and down we go. If we can avoid that I say we have a solid chance to advance to the elite 8. It's a tournament where anything can happen and maybe we catch some magic and get another shot at the Zags if they make it there.

I saw a stat that said since they started seeding the tournament, Iowa has gotten to the 2nd round 18 times. In all 18 occasions, we had to play the better seed in the 2nd round. We've never once had the luxury of an upset to face the lower seed. That's a crazy stat.

Like I said, I think Iowa got a bad draw. Great seed (2), but a quite challenging road to the final four. I know people say the PAC-12 is garbage, but still to potentially face the conference champion in the 2nd round when you are a 2 seed....early time to face a conference champion in a major conference.

Then, you may have Kansas waiting for you...a team who has beat Baylor.

Then of course, Gonzaga.

However, it is time for Fran and the boys to step up and play up to their seed. No excuses.

If Iowa does it, they will more than earn it.
If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. I see Iowa being highly motivated in this tourney. A 2nd weekend would, IMO, be REALLY good for recruiting in the future.
Oregon is as solid a team as we will face. They will test us to the limit. It'd be a good win if the boys are up for it.

Looking at how Oregon State played the ducks is telling. Yes, they lost during the regular season, but beat Oregon in the Pac Ten tournament. The Beavers did it using their big man and they made some 3’s.

If the Quackers had trouble with the Beavers, I’m wondering how they’ll deal with the Hawks. I like this draw.

Altman wants to push tempo and shoot 3(s) the same way Iowa does. According to KenPom they are much worse in adjD(Oregon 76 Iowa 50). Translation: Iowa can just outscore these dudes.

Two Words: Luka Garza.

Oregon doesn't have any size. Oregon hasn't faced anyone that plays the way Garza does. You can't guard him with 6'6" and 6'8" guys that aren't 260lbs. You will have to devise a defense to stop him and that's where our shooters pick you apart. Now, if we shoot 2-20, we likely lose and if we don't rebound on the defensive end...we may lose...but I like how we match up with Oregon, despite the fact that they are athletic at every position. Garza puts his body on you so you can't jump.
Actually the Lopes, or Grand Canyon has a much better chance of stopping Garza than the Ducks, who I predict will lose, and we play their opponent VCU. Grand Canyon has some girthy boys who can bang with Garza.

Oregon is good but they're not as good as recent Oregon teams.
I really hope this is true. Oregon has been building a first-rate program for the last several years, with some NBA-type talent.

Latest posts