Lowdermilk = Class

It was Lowdermilks choice, not KFs. And he made the classy and right choice.

We lost to isu, we are not making the playoff. I am completely OK if people wanna blame KF for losing to isu...yet again, its infuriating.

By the way, NO B1G team is making the playoff unless nebby goes undefeated (which would make me sick) or unless MSU or OSU wins out in impressive fashion.

Hey, we won by 14...baby steps...

It was a very classy move and done just right. He ran the clock out by running close to the other defenders, and then went down. In case some people forget, KF doesn't run up the score like Urban Meyers and other coaches to pad the ratings. He never has and in my mind that is also classy.....

Not running it back for a potential score in enemy territory was also the smart thing to do, not risking a fumble and giving the ball back to Purdue even though time was running out quickly.....

KF also made the right call by not going for the FG with a two TD lead and very little time on the clock. If he made it, we are ahead by three TDs, if not they are in the worst field position with about 95 yards to go to score a TD against a Defense that held them to a FG the entire game and dominated the second half. It was a very wise move strategically....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I really don't know how I feel about that play. Football is such a crazy-fast paced game. Everyone's play and ability, especially the speed based position players, depends so much on confidence, experience, and just being in good form. I want to see an Iowa DB take that back for a pick 6 for so many reasons. Imagine the confidence it would give Lowdermilk and the entire position group of safetys and DBs.

Because, for me, it's a tough sport where everyone wants to be a playmaker. And to be a playmaker, you have to make the big plays. It would be one thing if we were up by 35 points and the other team were really a sorry opposition. But it was a relatively close game and this Iowa team has been struggling to score points. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that mad about it and I don't think it makes that much of a difference. But it does seem like a reflection of that fact that Iowa guys are timid in making standout plays.

It reminds me of the end of the bowl game a few years ago against Missouri. We converted a game winning first down that allowed us to run out the clock. When we got the ball down to the 1 yard line, we took a knee instead of maybe punching it in. That play (although it was hard to say because I really wanted to cream Mizzou) really made me happy. It reflected the quiet swagger and class of Ferentz and I think it showed a really cool and unique way that he viewed the game and competition in general.

But this Iowa team is still trying to find that swagger and competitiveness. Also, no two plays are the same. That game clinching Mabin interception was very different. He was deep and behind the entire offense, a position of great risk. Lowdermilk's pick came going toward his scoring endzone with a full head of steam and he had a great shot at a pick 6. Instead he just fell down.

You can say that it showed class all you want, but there are a million ways to show class. I want Iowa defenders to go after a pick 6 more often than not. Don't get me wrong, I want opposing fanbases to think our players are classy, but I want the hawks to score too

Not that it matters this year, but KF hasn't realized that you can't sit on it and get into the 4 team playoff. Results against teams is in the selection criteria. Blow teams out. This will be a deal breaker for KF teams. See the blowout? Other coaches have figured this out.

yes, but... Iowa aint a playoff team this year.

Iowa guys are timid in making standout plays.

ShonnGreene2.gif

yanda.0_standard_352.0.gif

LeanSoreArizonaalligatorlizard.gif

LeftKindheartedIberianbarbel.gif

I was sitting in the middle of the Purdue "upper crust" during the game.

The second Lowdermilk slid, several folks around me reached for and shook my hand.

Comments, "That's class" "Thank you" "Etc"

Doesn't show a loser mentality at all.

This makes 2 years in a row that we’ve apologized to Purdue for beating them. STOP APOLOGIZING. This is major college football in a conference and program that has very little respect. Go out and beat the hell out of your opponent. Send a freaking message. We used to be the bullies of the B1G, and now were the nice guys of the B1G.

Billso, you can post highlights from 2008 all you want. But of those clips you just showed, there's 1 player on the current roster and he wasn't really the one making the play (Desmond King in bottom GIF). Iowa does have a lack of confidence as it pertains to playmaking and it needs guys that can change the course of a game with one play. There's no bigger play in football than a pick six and we gave up an opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I think Iowa is classy football program through and through. And this move from Lowdermilk shows that. But at this juncture, I'd substitute a little bit of kick-*** attitude for that "class". Bobby sanders wasn't classy per se. He was ruthless. This team isn't ruthless. If they were both, that'd be awesome

True as well.

KF has a NFL background and it shows in his coaching & philosophy.

Unfortunately, college only has a 4 team playoff for 100+ teams, the NFL has and expanded playoff for 30+ teams. Scoring margin is not that important in NFL games as there are division champs, wild teams & so forth.

I agree that his NFL background shows. But it shows in ways good and bad. The NFL and CFB are different games and they're coached differently. Ferentz is like an NFL coach in the sense that he is satisfied with a win by one point every week. Because in the NFL, there are no real favorites. There's only been one team to ever go undefeated in the NFL. Anyone can beat anyone.

A great college coaching philosophy is to dominate the opposition every week. I'm not saying that I like Nick Saban, but I wish he was our coach. It seems like Ferentz doesn't want to dominate. That might sound crazy, but that's undeniably what it looks like!

But this isn't about coaching or philosophy or class. This is about the fact that we're not that good. However, we're on the cusp of being really solid. Our players need to be aggressive and pedal to the metal for four quarters. Let's blowout the next team and then we can talk about dialing it back

I called out Lowdermilk for his pick-6 F-up in the bowl game.

But KFz stuff aside, not many kids his age have the maturity to make the self-deprecating joke and essentially say "it's OK, I didn't need that TD to prove my manhood" in that situation. 90% of kids would have tried to prove something.

I think that shows that he's a pretty damn fine young man.

But KFz stuff aside, not many kids his age have the maturity to make the self-deprecating joke and essentially say "it's OK, I didn't need that TD to prove my manhood" in that situation. 90% of kids would have tried to prove something.

Couldn't agree more. Seems like a good guy

The situation did not make it necessary for Milk to score.
Iowa's up 2 TD's with 1:05 left in game and Purdue has 0 timeouts.

This was not a right or wrong decision by Milk. Scoring would have been a right decision. Taking a knee is a right decision.

To be sure, I want to be up 17 points in the 4th so it's nearly impossible for a team to score 3 times to win/tie.
Freaky things happen in football.

There were the other situations that dictated Iowa should have put points on the board when it was necessary to do so prior to Milk's 2nd pick.

4:59 left in 3rd. score 10-10. Iowa has a 17 play drive and on 4th & 3 goes for first down instead of FG. After that long of a drive with game tied I think you have to put 3 points on the board. The offense gets a reward and the opposing defense doesn't get a moral victory for keeping the game tied.

2:12 left in game. score 24-10. Iowa goes for it on 4th and goal on the 5. I think you kick the FG and go up 3 scores. Game over.

The additional benefit is on these chip shots, the Hawk kicker gets more game execution and confidence.

I was sitting in the middle of the Purdue "upper crust" during the game.

The second Lowdermilk slid, several folks around me reached for and shook my hand.

Comments, "That's class" "Thank you" "Etc"

Doesn't show a loser mentality at all.
Agreed. Showing some class isn't a loser mentality.

Too many guys on this thread that think running up the score makes their OWN pee pee's grow bigger. Congrats! Here is a headline: It is none of your business. Lowdermilk told you ALL in his interview that he did it out of respect for a coach that offered him a full scholarship...that is, for some of you, a free college education that lasts a lifetime. When you have a big enough d... to be a starting safety at the division 1 level, you can make a judgement about JL's actions.

Or, pretty much ANY Player in a Nebraska uniform.

John Lowdermilk epitomizes the overlooked, hard-working over achiever that
symbolizes Hawkeye football.
Mr. Davis Osborne ran up the score all the time, and let all kinds of thugs and woman-beaters play on his teams, yet somehow he still gets credit for being a "classy" guy. Don't ask me how.

OK, this makes more sense now. Thanks for being specific.

That shows how you comment without the facts. When a link is posted how about actually reading or viewing the video instead of just making comments about said link or interview?

Too many guys on this thread that think running up the score makes their OWN pee pee's grow bigger. Congrats! Here is a headline: It is none of your business. Lowdermilk told you ALL in his interview that he did it out of respect for a coach that offered him a full scholarship...that is, for some of you, a free college education that lasts a lifetime. When you have a big enough d... to be a starting safety at the division 1 level, you can make a judgement about JL's actions.

Pretty easy to spot the mouth breathers in this thread. This concept blows by them.

I think you are vastly overrating the weight the selection committee will give to running up the score.

Sure, there are more teams, but the selection committee is really only going to be looking at a dozen or so of those. They can look at more than just the final score, and in fact there are at least a few people on the selection committee who would likely more credit to a classy move than an empty touchdown.

How true. Do you think Florida State will be disallowed for their eke out wins this year? Hey - they didn't run up the score.

You should work for the BTN.

While it was a incredibly foolish play (in the bowl game), could have been downright disaster had the circumstances of the game been different, I thought he handled well. Much better than I've seen other guys who make the same blunder.

The difference for me was watching him after the play. He looked sick to his stomach, had his head buried. He wasn't standing around with a puzzled look on his face like some of the guys who have made the same mistake acting like it wasn't their own fault.

Luckily for him no LSU player recovered the ball, so Iowa retained possession at the 1.

He made the right choice yesterday. For a defensive player to turn down a TD, it was a class move.

Latest posts