Loved the fight. We COULD learn a lot from it.

To put the blame on Cook is beyond freaking stupid. Without Cook we get torched by 20+. Cook wishes he had those plays back more than any idiot message board poster does.
To put the blame on Cook is beyond freaking stupid.
Correct

Without Cook we get torched by 20+.
Incorrect

Cook wishes he had those plays back more than any idiot message board poster does.
Probably correct

Bagging on Cook. He has improved his free throws a great deal from last year. This game was very poor and you could see his lack of confidence from the free throw line. I yelled at the tv as everyone else did when he didn't give it up to Moss on fast break down 4.

He was trying to make a play and being aggressive. Hopefully he learns from it. I don't see anything selfish about his game this year. His effort is 10 times better on defense.

I was half hoping the starters wouldn't return the rest of second half after getting pulled. Letting a non point guard dribble past an entire zone while people watched was bad!!!

I liked the defensive line up of Connor, Moss, Dailey, Cook, and Kriener. Dailey and Cook on the wings are long and athletic for the zone.

With as few of fouls that were called in the first half I would have been putting anyone to the floor that went anywhere near the rim. They struggled at the end with free throws. We dug too deep of a hole in the 1st half though. 32 points given up in first 10 minutes is a lot!!!!

Don't have a lot of hope for Friday against Michigan. Hope to be proven wrong.

You (and anyone else) can place the blame at the feet of TC and he certainly does deserve some of it. His 9 rebounds and 4 assists more than overcome the 5 TOs, as far as +/- impact on the game. The real blame is our back court play of JBo/JW/CMac, which combined for 6 points in 60 minutes of playing time. The poor defense I will hang on the entire team.

Valid argument, I think most is spot on. With that said though, I disagree with the above in bold. It could be just me putting to much expectations on the position, but I expect rebounds out of our bigs. What I don't expect is 5 turnovers from those bigs. TC's game IMO will always be and should always be in the post. I don't need or want to see him handling the ball or bringing it up the floor or trying to be a point forward.

We don't have the players where you can just throw 5 guys on to the floor and have them play positionless basketball. Every one of them has to have a role and we need them to fill those roles. There's plenty of blame to go around and I definitely agree that its not all on him, but they all need to step up and do what they need to do (starting at the top) to right the ship.

To put the blame on Cook is beyond freaking stupid.
Correct

Without Cook we get torched by 20+.
Incorrect

Cook wishes he had those plays back more than any idiot message board poster does.
Probably correct

You think we could have kept it closer than 20 without Cooks 18 pts. 9 rebounds and 4 assists, and being forced to play just Garza and Kriener vs them?

How can we "trust you" when you are wrong? He averages 3.2 TOs per game. His box +/- is second highest among the starting 5 (behind only JW).
Box +/- for the season, for 9 man rotation highest to lowest per Sports Reference:
Baer +11.8
JW + 6.6
TC + 6.2
Kriener + 5.9
Moss + 5.8
Garza + 5.1
JBo + 3.7
CMac + 2.1
You (and anyone else) can place the blame at the feet of TC and he certainly does deserve some of it. His 9 rebounds and 4 assists more than overcome the 5 TOs, as far as +/- impact on the game. The real blame is our back court play of JBo/JW/CMac, which combined for 6 points in 60 minutes of playing time. The poor defense I will hang on the entire team.
I like what Connor has brought to the team but how can you be a 19 year old guard at this level and not be able to shoot the ball at all? I just don't get it... He can make free throws pretty well but is too scared to take any jump shot unless the shot clock is at 2 :(

You think we could have kept it closer than 20 without Cooks 18 pts. 9 rebounds and 4 assists, and being forced to play just Garza and Kriener vs them?
He shot 14 times, turned it over 5 times, and was 2-7 on free throws. We know one of those FT misses was a 1 and 1 so let’s just assume 10 attempts.

14 shot attempts
5 turnovers
4 possessions ending in free throws

That’s 23 possessions for TC

18 points produced. 4 assists, we will give him 2 points a possession here (some led to 3s I’m sure) but some assists are simply going to happen from being out on the court.

So 23 possessions, 26 points produced. Not an incredibly efficient offensive night. When you add to that the turnovers are much worse than a missed shot it only looks worse.

On defense he didn’t play well, not one of our starters did.

So I’m not one of these guys who’s calling for TC to be benched or anything like that, but I can also see he didn’t have that great of a night. He just needs to make more of the winning basketball plays than he does. But if you just think well his 18 points are gone Iowa loses by 20, you have a profound misunderstanding for basketball (I understand you aren’t saying that literally) but his 23 possessions would have gone elsewhere. Guys like Weiskamp and Kriener would have gotten more opportunities. Iowa would have been fine scoring the ball. I doubt they win that one without TC but I don’t think they lose it by 20 either.

Last edited:
Valid argument, I think most is spot on. With that said though, I disagree with the above in bold. It could be just me putting to much expectations on the position, but I expect rebounds out of our bigs. What I don't expect is 5 turnovers from those bigs. TC's game IMO will always be and should always be in the post. I don't need or want to see him handling the ball or bringing it up the floor or trying to be a point forward.

We don't have the players where you can just throw 5 guys on to the floor and have them play positionless basketball. Every one of them has to have a role and we need them to fill those roles. There's plenty of blame to go around and I definitely agree that its not all on him, but they all need to step up and do what they need to do (starting at the top) to right the ship.
5 TOs is excessive for any player but the 9 rebounds and 4 assists far outweigh the 5 TOs. Mistakes are part of basketball. You just can't allow the mistakes to outweigh the positive contributions. 18 points on 57% shooting with 9 rebounds and 4 assists are far more positive than the 5 TOs and the 2 for 7 FTs. I'm not sure what his +/- for the game is but it's better than anyone else that played yesterday. Garza played 28 mins and only managed 3 rebounds. That bothers me far more than TC's 5 TOs.
All that said, I prefer TC's game to be in the post as well.

He shot 14 times, turned it over 5 times, and was 4-9 on free throws. We know one of those FT misses was a 1 and 1 so let’s just assume 10 attempts.

14 shot attempts
5 turnovers
5 possessions ending in free throws

That’s 24 possessions for TC

18 points produced. 4 assists, we will give him 2 points a possession here (some led to 3s I’m sure) but some assists are simply going to happen from being out on the court.

So 24 possessions, 26 points produced. Not an incredibly efficient offensive night. When you add to that the turnovers are much worse than a missed shot it only looks worse.

So I’m not one of these guys who’s calling for TC to be benched or anything like that, but I can also see he didn’t have that great of a night. He just needs to make more of the winning basketball plays than he does. But if you just think well his 18 points are gone Iowa loses by 20, you have a profound misunderstanding for basketball (I understand you aren’t saying that literally) but his 24 possessions would have gone elsewhere. Guys like Weiskamp and Kriener would have gotten more opportunities. Iowa would have been fine scoring the ball. I doubt they win that one without TC but I don’t think they lose it by 20 either.
I think Cook was 2-7 from the FT line. 29%

5 TOs is excessive for any player but the 9 rebounds and 4 assists far outweigh the 5 TOs. Mistakes are part of basketball. You just can't allow the mistakes to outweigh the positive contributions. 18 points on 57% shooting with 9 rebounds and 4 assists are far more positive than the 5 TOs and the 2 for 7 FTs. I'm not sure what his +/- for the game is but it's better than anyone else that played yesterday. Garza played 28 mins and only managed 3 rebounds. That bothers me far more than TC's 5 TOs.
No way his +/- was best on the team yesterday.

No doubt about the fact Garza only had 3 boards...that absolutely drives me nuts. On the other side I hate seeing any big with 5 TO's, to me it means they're playing too much outside of their comfort zone and trying to do to much with the ball.

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison. Garza isn't doing what he should be (rebounding) and Cook is doing too much of what he shouldn't be (handling the ball and trying to facilitate). Either way, neither is helping the team as a whole.

w
He shot 14 times, turned it over 5 times, and was 4-9 on free throws. We know one of those FT misses was a 1 and 1 so let’s just assume 10 attempts.

14 shot attempts
5 turnovers
5 possessions ending in free throws

That’s 24 possessions for TC

So 24 possessions, 26 points produced. Not an incredibly efficient offensive night. When you add to that the turnovers are much worse than a missed shot it only looks worse.

So I’m not one of these guys who’s calling for TC to be benched or anything like that, but I can also see he didn’t have that great of a night. He just needs to make more of the winning basketball plays than he does. But if you just think well his 18 points are gone Iowa loses by 20, you have a profound misunderstanding for basketball (I understand you aren’t saying that literally) but his 24 possessions would have gone elsewhere. Guys like Weiskamp and Kriener would have gotten more opportunities. Iowa would have been fine scoring the ball. I doubt they win that one without TC but I don’t think they lose it by 20 either.
Your criteria is flawed.

w

Your criteria is flawed.

No shit it is. I mean I've never seen people cry, bitch, and moan more about a 18 pt, 9 rebound 4 assist game in my freaking life. Yeah he missed some FT and had some TO. He also draws so much attention on the court that it gives his teammates more opportunities to score as well.

No doubt about the fact Garza only had 3 boards...that absolutely drives me nuts. On the other side I hate seeing any big with 5 TO's, to me it means they're playing too much outside of their comfort zone and trying to do to much with the ball.

I think it's an apples to oranges comparison. Garza isn't doing what he should be (rebounding) and Cook is doing too much of what he shouldn't be (handling the ball and trying to facilitate). Either way, neither is helping the team as a whole.
I think both of them were positives in the game. By how much? I'd have to look at the defensive breakdowns on each possession.

No shit it is. I mean I've never seen people cry, bitch, and moan more about a 18 pt, 9 rebound 4 assist game in my freaking life. Yeah he missed some FT and had some TO. He also draws so much attention on the court that it gives his teammates more opportunities to score as well.
Per advanced stats on sports reference Cook had the 8th best offensive rating on the team yesterday with JBo being the only one behind him. He was actually below 100 on offensive rating which is below average.

His defensive rating was 6th (not including Till) at 130, which is very bad, again 100 being average and wanting a lower number.

Our MVP yesterday was Baer, with Garza and Moss having nice offensive nights, and Dailey being one of the better defenders yesterday.

Here’s the link.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2019-01-27-17-minnesota.html

That's not how I've ever seen a +/- put together on a player. I guess it doesn't matter. I disagree with how you are applying stats to impact on the game.
That simulation I went through wasn’t +/-.

I’m just telling you his +/- wasn’t the best on the team yesterday. I am not sure where to find college +/- s I’ve never been able to find them.

No way his +/- was best on the team yesterday.
Moss would be the only player that could be better. But I have to believe Moss was one of the responsible parties for the defensive breakdowns in the back court. For some reason that I can't imagine, you give no credit for 9 rebounds (9 extra possessions) that Cook had. @ 1.12 points per possession for a team average = 10.08 points. Which goes back to my original point of your +/- application being flawed. IMO.

Latest posts