Loved the fight. We COULD learn a lot from it.

Here’s a scary thought, Garza having this great season has brought NBA talk as well. Was discussed this week on central Iowa radio. Possible with his size and footwork he’s better fit for pro than Cook.
We shall see. I heard Brad Underwood comparing him last week to Jack Sikma. Uh, oh. Right era, wrong player. Garza is Billy Paultz. The Whopper. And that's not a bad thing because Paultz was a cerebral physical player who could shoot a bit and because he knew his limitations he was the league a long, long time. Usually still on your TV screen deep into May. That's who Garza is.

Yup. But hopefully we figured out how good we can be when we play hard and communicate on defense. Hopefully the team and staff know Garza is the go to guy in crunch time if we are going inside.

Why does it take an embarrassing effort and public ass-kicking by MSU and a fan-appeasing “gritty” comeback loss against a bubble team to learn what they should’ve learned during the 5-game W streak!!? Why does this team completely forget ball-control, inside-out offense and disciplined position zone defense brought them great success and, instead, devolve back into halter-skelter discombobulation in every aspect of the strategy!!?

The ETERNAL mysteries of Fran McHawkeye basketball.:cool:o_O:eek::mad:

Why does it take an embarrassing effort and public ass-kicking by MSU and a fan-appeasing “gritty” comeback loss against a bubble team to learn what they should’ve learned during the 5-game W streak!!? Why does this team completely forget ball-control, inside-out offense and disciplined position zone defense brought them great success and, instead, devolve back into halter-skelter discombobulation in every aspect of the strategy!!?

It’s basketball man. Our 1H effort sucked, I get that.

That Minnesota team won at Wisconsin. That Illinois team we wiped the floor with just beat Maryland.

Teams improve and find things out about themselves all the time.

Cook turned the ball over too much tonight, and I'm sure he will tell you he has to do better. He still had 18 pt. 9 Reb. and 4 assists though. He is far and away our best player, he gives us a dimension that nobody else on the roster gives us.

This. Ask my wife. EVERY time Cook starts dribbling the ball up the court after he gets a rebound I'm yelling at the TV "GIVE IT TO A GUARD!!!" Frankly, whenever he does this, Fran should pull him from the game, maybe even call timeout to do so. Cook has to learn that he can handle the ball well for a big; that doesn't mean he has guard skills. The turnovers he committed or caused by bringing the ball up the court hurt us. That plus the fact that when he does that the other four players on the team stop moving and just watch. It's a complete negative to the team when he does it. By this time in the season, if I were his teammate I'd just go back on defense when he dribbles it up.

This. Ask my wife. EVERY time Cook starts dribbling the ball up the court after he gets a rebound I'm yelling at the TV "GIVE IT TO A GUARD!!!" Frankly, whenever he does this, Fran should pull him from the game, maybe even call timeout to do so. Cook has to learn that he can handle the ball well for a big; that doesn't mean he has guard skills. The turnovers he committed or caused by bringing the ball up the court hurt us. That plus the fact that when he does that the other four players on the team stop moving and just watch. It's a complete negative to the team when he does it. By this time in the season, if I were his teammate I'd just go back on defense when he dribbles it up.

Cook is frustrating with that ball for sure. I was screaming at the TV for him to give the ball up when we were down 4 and had a chance to cut it to 2. I was a lunatic yelling for him to give it up, give it up, and of course he turns it over, just like he usually does.

I just have a hard time blasting on players or coaches who are being aggressive. Cook is aggressive, he plays fast, too fast many times. Yet I actually do like that Fran doesn't try to beat this out of him, sure there are some TO, but there are also baskets, and free throws that come form this as well.

Cook is completely out of control. The scouts told him he needed to work on his ball handling skills so his idea of that is to take the ball full steam to the basket every time he gets it in the open court. He can't pull up and shoot a jumper because he doesn't have the skills to do so, plus he can't make anything beyond 4 feet from the hoop with any consistency at all. Gonna end up in a charging call, or a turnover when he does this. You would think Fran would maybe say something to him about this, but apparently not. Tyler thinks about Tyler first, and the team second. Out for himself.

Pretty sad if Cook is the best player on this team. Best athlete, maybe, which isn't saying much on this team, but best player... NO.

Garza is a way more efficient scorer than Cook is. That's for sure.

Sure he is. He also doesn't face any double teams because of Cook. I love Garza's game, but teams could take him away much easier if they choose to than they can Cook.

They also say you can learn a lot from a dummy......but after today's defensive fiasco again I'm not to sure with our players.
dummies.JPG

It is not a well coached team and drifts back to the default settings of not playing defense and forgetting basketball fundamentals. Why? Who is in charge? Who are the leaders? Why does it keep happening? Not sure.

Garza is a way more efficient scorer than Cook is. That's for sure.
Cook also has a terrible habit of ending his out of control trips up the floor with a tumble into the basket support or a spill into the cheerleaders, giving him little or no chance of getting back on defense. The only player I've seen who can get knocked off balance and still hustle back on defense is Jordan Caroline of Nevada. Cook is no Jordan Caroline.

Cook is completely out of control. The scouts told him he needed to work on his ball handling skills so his idea of that is to take the ball full steam to the basket every time he gets it in the open court. He can't pull up and shoot a jumper because he doesn't have the skills to do so, plus he can't make anything beyond 4 feet from the hoop with any consistency at all. Gonna end up in a charging call, or a turnover when he does this. You would think Fran would maybe say something to him about this, but apparently not. Tyler thinks about Tyler first, and the team second. Out for himself.
Tyler Cook, auditioning for the NBA draft. Sigh.

No jump shot, dribbles way too high, right hand only, turnover incubator, defensive liability. Doesn't make his teammates better.

Outstanding physical ability, with coaching, maturing, practice has potential. 2-3 years of solid, professional coaching.

Good future running mate for the Greek Freak

We shall see. I heard Brad Underwood comparing him last week to Jack Sikma. Uh, oh. Right era, wrong player. Garza is Billy Paultz. The Whopper. And that's not a bad thing because Paultz was a cerebral physical player who could shoot a bit and because he knew his limitations he was the league a long, long time. Usually still on your TV screen deep into May. That's who Garza is.
I saw Jack Sikma play in person for Illinois Wesleyan his senior year. I can see the similarities. We went to see him because there was talk he would be a high draft pick in the NBA that year. I didn't see it based on that game but I was wrong. Garza has heart, which seems to be a rare commodity.

Ha I was doing the same thing when he started dribbling up court as I knew what was coming. I also kicked a hamper across the room when the inevitable occurred.

Also saw that free throw air ball coming a mile away. The look in his face before he took it was telling.

Sure he is. He also doesn't face any double teams because of Cook. I love Garza's game, but teams could take him away much easier if they choose to than they can Cook.

Is that really true? Seems to me he either gets doubled or scores.

Wiescamp should be.
He will be but he's not yet. He's still learning how to create his own shot at this level. He's at his best when someone creates for him to get a good look. If Garza could defend and rebound he'd be an all American. His offensive game is really fun to watch and impressive.

That's where the two of them being on the floor at the same time a lot does what it does. I actually would flip that around. You double hard on Cook and he might pass it well. Or he might not... Garza being able to step out and face the basket makes him dangerous. I wish we'd use him at the high post more. The two of them play pretty well together. Cook isn't a terrible entry passer when he's feeding him either for the most part.

Latest posts