Looking ahead to next year

I like that lineup you listed, the problem is with Fran in charge you know he is going to give minutes to Pemsl and Kriener. That screws everything up and likely pushes Nunge back from the 3 and takes minutes away from others.

In a perfect world here would be my rotation:

JBo 26 / Dailey 14
Moss 25 / Dailey 10 / Weiskamp 5
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 20
Cook 10 / Nunge 30
Garza 23 / Cook 17

That gives you this:

Nunge - 30
Cook - 27
JBo - 26
Moss - 25
Weiskamp - 25
Dailey - 24
Garza - 23
Baer - 20

That’s an 8 man rotation. Plenty of footspeed and length. Tons of 3pt shooting. I think all 5 starters could average over 10PPG.

If Connor is better than Dailey than put him in there, I don’t see it. My first big man sub in the event of foul trouble would be Wagner for more defense.

I like cutting back Jbo’s minutes, as his defense is a big liability. I also think Garza’s play style maxes him at around 23-24 minutes.

Not to knock Dailey too much, he came in and did what he could, but lets face it he was an afterthought until Williams transferred. He made the most of his opportunities, but his numbers were just "blah". His numbers and minutes were basically Anthony Clemmon's junior year but without all the defense that Clemmons provided.

If Moss can take the next step and Wieskamp and Connor come in healthy and ready to produce, I think it would squeeze out a lot of Dailey's minutes...in a good way.

Not to knock Dailey too much, he came in and did what he could, but lets face it he was an afterthought until Williams transferred. He made the most of his opportunities, but his numbers were just "blah". His numbers and minutes were basically Anthony Clemmon's junior year but without all the defense that Clemmons provided.

If Moss can take the next step and Wieskamp and Connor come in healthy and ready to produce, I think it would squeeze out a lot of Dailey's minutes...in a good way.

Agree and although I don't expect much from Connor, I trust Connor at the point more than I do Dailey.

I hope Connor can give 10 minutes in the backup PG spot and just be a steady hand, limit turnovers and play good defense. Any scoring he can add is just a plus if he can do the things above.

Yeah, I've got no idea. Pemsl and Kreiner are both Iowa kids, but I don't see that being a factor for a college athlete looking to make a greater impact. I personally like both of them and their skill sets. I just don't think the playing time is there for both. Ellingson being a RS junior probably is going to see even less playing time next year. He could grad transfer any maybe get more playing time immediately. I honestly don't see Wagner moving. He seems like a good kid, content to get his degree and remain with his teammates and coaches. That leaves Moss. Who knows with him. I watch him and see a ton of natural ability that rarely produces an output, I feel he's capable of. I'm obviously just an observer, so I could be way off base, but he doesn't seem into this team.
Ellingson for sure I'd say has the best odds of moving on for all the reasons you stated.

I wouldn't bet on Wagner leaving or changing sports either. Just wished he would.

If Pemsl is honest with himself then he knows he's not going to be much more impactful anywhere else as he is at Iowa playing 20ish mins a game or less. Unless he dropped down a level but I can't see him doing that just for a little more PT. He's a role player that I hope isn't asked to do more than what he's been doing. I'd rather see Nunge backup Cook and get more of his time.

Kreiner yeah he's an Iowa kid but he's from clear up in NW Iowa right next to MN and SD border. About as far away from Iowa City as can be and still be an Iowan. It's hard telling about him nothing he'd do should surprise too much staying or going.

I'd love to see Moss stay and make that leap a lot of kids make between their Soph and JR years. If he can do that similar to what Marble did and have his last two seasons be like that then we'd have a heck of a player. I sometimes forget he's a sophomore eligibility wise out there. He's as skilled as anyone we have...

Yup quite the conundrum with PT he'll have next yr with those spots. This year it was the front court he couldn't figure out any kind of steady rotation next yr I'm afraid it's the guard spots he'll be experimenting with all year.

I think Fran didn’t get Dailey enough minutes this year.

I’m not as high on Connor as most others. Here’s the thing though, we are already a top 30 offensive team this year. Assuming the main guys who play stay next year, even just a slight improvement and we are probably top 20 offensively. I like what Dailey could bring to the table in terms of perimeter defense with his length and quickness.

I hope Connor can give 10 minutes in the backup PG spot and just be a steady hand, limit turnovers and play good defense.
I believe Dailey has already shown he can do that. Connor is surely a better passer but MD is more of a threat to go by someone. Dailey has already proven he can knock down the 3 ball. But over anything I want Dailey out their for perimeter defense.

That's what I'm hoping for too. Either that or Moss turns into a basketball player. I'm hoping at minimum, Connor is in upgrade over this year Moss.

Hasn't Moss had a couple good games to end the season? I wouldn't turn the page on him yet. Not sure yet if Connor will be an upgrade yet either as he will essentially be a freshman and Moss a junior. We will see.

Hasn't Moss had a couple good games to end the season? I wouldn't turn the page on him yet. Not sure yet if Connor will be an upgrade yet either as he will essentially be a freshman and Moss a junior. We will see.

Moss is just inconsistent. He drives to the rim like his head is cutoff. He doesn't catch the ball ready or looking to shoot. Stuff like that. He's got 2 more years, IMO he's gonna be solid

I'll be disappointed if this is the lineup that gets the most minutes. JBo is our PG and with the current roster, we are best with him at that spot.

I'm not sure what to expect from Weiskamp but if he is good enough to start over Nunge at the 3 I would go with this line up:
JBo
Moss
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

I do like Weiskamp as a 3 more than Nunge. I still think Nunge is a stretch 4 but we have Cook at that position and he's being sacrificed to play the 3 to get on the floor but I think it hurts with his matchups.

I'd like to see a rotation of:
JBo/Connor
Moss/Dailey/JBo
Weiskamp/Baer/Nunge
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Cook
No. We're not best with him at PG. Nunge is a disaster at the 3.

That lineup would definitely be in contention for the slowest division one basketball team in the country.

Poor positioning (unless Fran learns to coach) + Poor footspeed + average length = more crappy defense from our Hawks.

I know you’ve seen Connor play in person so that gives me a little hope, but I just don’t see it with him.
Correct. There is no cure for the lack of athleticism that Fran has assembled. That line up won't be any faster than this season's. But it's the best option with what we have returning and what we are adding. Connor and Moss play about the same speed. I like Connor's basketball IQ better. Wieskamp is an immediate athletic improvement over Baer/Nunge or whatever else Fran will trot out at the 3.

I have read a lot of comments about Iowa's lack of athleticism. However, I still cannot reconcile that conclusion with the fact that we have been athletic enough to have one of the top two or three scoring teams in the BT.

While I'm encouraged by some of the optimism here, I have to admit, after suffering through this dumpster fire of a season, I go into the offseason with little hope. I honestly don't see how some roster tinkering and a year of growth is going to have that much of an impact on this squad.

Fact is, we just aren't very good. I think Fran is being forced to swallow a bitter reality pill about his ability to identify and recruit talent, and in his ability to coach them up.

I probably shouldn't give up on him. He's just done so many things that have raised red flags for me, and he's 3 years in. Marble shot a free throw with his foot on the line once, and that's probably dumber than anything Moss has done, but he was a freshman. Moss has shown more lately tho so we shall see.

Yeah. We have heard that about a million times. We get it. Thanks. In the meantime, I am going to renew my season basketball tickets which I have had at least off and on since the Ralph Miller days. Most recently, I have suffered through Alford, Lick, and "maybe" through Fran. Just so you will know...full disclosure. I have season football and basketball tickets, attend nearly all of Iowa's away football games, have been in all 14 BT football stadiums, and drive from Beautiful Sheboygan Falls, WI, 292 miles one way to Iowa City for Hawkeye sports. I was born and raised in NW Iowa, the hotbed of great Iowa football and basketball players. I have lived in WI since 1981, but hate the BADgers. I saw my first Iowa football game at the ripe old age of 7 years. Yup, Evy. After the game we went to the Amana Colonies for dinner. Still do. Maybe some history will help to explain my fanatic support for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Join the club; its really a great group! And, yes, this was the single most frustrating basketball season I have experienced. The most exasperating football season was 0-11 with Fabulous Frank Lauterbur. Go Hawks! I predict next football and basketball seasons will be rousing successes, with 22 plus wins in BB and at least 9 in football. Wahoo! And, OK, fire away!
Lauterbur and Lickliter always went together in my mind. When Commings came in to recycle the days of Evy with his Wing-T is was considered a major upgrade.

I have read a lot of comments about Iowa's lack of athleticism. However, I still cannot reconcile that conclusion with the fact that we have been athletic enough to have one of the top two or three scoring teams in the BT.
Just little defense when it comes to crunch time.

While I'm encouraged by some of the optimism here, I have to admit, after suffering through this dumpster fire of a season, I go into the offseason with little hope. I honestly don't see how some roster tinkering and a year of growth is going to have that much of an impact on this squad.

Fact is, we just aren't very good. I think Fran is being forced to swallow a bitter reality pill about his ability to identify and recruit talent, and in his ability to coach them up.
Last paragraph is spot on. Could Fran have simply fallen in love with some of these players too early in their high school careers or was he playing with too much house money after striking gold with Aaron White? Maybe he thought it was easy for all diamonds in the rough to pan out after that.

If I tread lightly, I could quiver a bit with the first paragraph. See Columbus Ohio and Lincoln Nebraska for examples of how quickly a team can turn it around. I would have predicted both of teams to be in the botton four of the conference this year. In fact I (wrongly) had Miles canned last year. But I don't know if Fran could not only show three players the door, which Miles basically did, but replace them on the fly with impact players like Palmer. And we know OSU's situation (lose Lyle, replace coach).
But I'm with you on the bottom line. Fran got his head over his skis, lost guards, replaced them with more bigs, has a severe logjam of fours and fives, and completely lost his balance of classes.

How does that shorten the rotation though? He listed 9 guys above and that doesn’t include Kriener or Pemsl who will certainly get minutes with Fran. It will be interesting to see what departures we have after the season ends.

If you get two great bball players who can play 35 min a game then that shortens the rotation. Fran needs to play is top 7-8 and that is it,

Kirk has one of his coaching goals accomplished...BF is the OC...

Next big one is making sure BF is the next HC...

Oh yah, mentoring all those citizens...the primary objective...for multiple mill per year....
A Basketball is round.
A Football has one more point on it than your head, idiot.