Looking ahead to next year

If this isn't the line up that gets the most minutes, I'll be extremely disappointed. As an Iowa fan....I'm used to disappointment.
CMac
JBo
Wieskamp
Cook
Garza
That lineup would definitely be in contention for the slowest division one basketball team in the country.

Poor positioning (unless Fran learns to coach) + Poor footspeed + average length = more crappy defense from our Hawks.

I know you’ve seen Connor play in person so that gives me a little hope, but I just don’t see it with him.

I am hoping Fran can figure out a lineup where JBo is the point on offense but a longer, faster, more physical player — possibly Dailey — is the point on defense. Neither Jordan nor Connor are capable of clamping down or disrupting even the average point guard in the B1G.

It is fun to speculate and wish and hope...how many of you think Fran will have the team at +20 wins and an NCAA berth?...next year...

Do we think Weiskamp will start day 1 pretty much then? I kinda like the idea of Baer coming off the bench but he'll be a senior and it's just hard telling what Frans line of thinking will be with him. One idea I kicked around for a min was JBo and CM starting together but man that's two less than athletic guards out there at the same time. Your playing zone D when you have those two out there no matter what and I don't see that improving our D much. They'll play together some for sure but how much?

I'd like to see a rotation of:
JBo/Connor
Moss/Dailey/JBo
Weiskamp/Baer/Nunge
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Cook
I like that lineup you listed, the problem is with Fran in charge you know he is going to give minutes to Pemsl and Kriener. That screws everything up and likely pushes Nunge back from the 3 and takes minutes away from others.

In a perfect world here would be my rotation:

JBo 26 / Dailey 14
Moss 25 / Dailey 10 / Weiskamp 5
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 20
Cook 10 / Nunge 30
Garza 23 / Cook 17

That gives you this:

Nunge - 30
Cook - 27
JBo - 26
Moss - 25
Weiskamp - 25
Dailey - 24
Garza - 23
Baer - 20

That’s an 8 man rotation. Plenty of footspeed and length. Tons of 3pt shooting. I think all 5 starters could average over 10PPG.

If Connor is better than Dailey than put him in there, I don’t see it. My first big man sub in the event of foul trouble would be Wagner for more defense.

I like cutting back Jbo’s minutes, as his defense is a big liability. I also think Garza’s play style maxes him at around 23-24 minutes.

I hope the biggest improvement is in terms of mental capacity for the game. Positioning on defense. We clearly can't go out and man up one on one. We have to be a cohesive unit. Team has gotten better at talking on defense lately. Seemed like the beginning of the year you couldn't hear anyone talking. Let the team know it is a gym and not a library.

I think the coaching needs to figure out the best lineups to hide our holes in defense. Defense needs to be hammered into the heads of these guys. Dailey seems to be capable of playing defense. He also seems to work at it.

Hoping for big jump with Dailey and Nunge. I believe they will really help us. More minutes next year.

I want Moss and Cook to get more of an edge to their games on both sides of the court. They both have great talent. Needs to translate to the floor every night. I don't care if they have a bad night shooting. Show the effort on both ends!!!

I think Conner is going to help a lot more than people think. Not breaking down defenders or anything special, but being in the right position on defense. Spelling Bohannon. He doesn't have to do much to make this team better from this year.

Weiskamp will be freshman. Trying to not get too excited yet. Kid can shoot and play. If he can play defense that helps team a great deal. I'm guessing he comes off bench and might work into a starter. Don't want to put the savior label on him as a freshman.

Garza, Baer, and Bohannon keep doing what they are doing. I would like to see Baer off bench again. Pemsl and Kriener off bench.

I think this team came into this year with big heads. I'm guilty of thinking they were much better than they were. We don't have the athletes that others teams might have so we need to play together. If we can figure out how to do that we will be much better.

IDK, how you can look ahead without anticipating some type of roster attrition. I would have to believe that at least two people currently on the roster with eligibility left will be gone. Some combo of Ellingson/Kreiner/Pemsl/Moss/Wagner may look for more PT or opportunity elsewhere. There are the rumors floating around about Cook, but I remaining optimistic that he's fully invested with this team and staff.

The biggest factor looking ahead to next year, will be determined by who Fran replaces them with. The team needs to get quicker and longer, and the hope is that someone joins the roster that can set a tone on the defensive end.

I'll also will not be surprised one bit, if there's a staff change somewhere.

I’ve lived in NW Iowa my entire life. Exactly who makes this place a “hotbed of great” Iowa players? I’m honestly curious.

I know you like to talk some bullshit, but this one is even beyond your normal.

Geez. Don't you guys ever assume that posts can be written with a sense of humor?

I like that lineup you listed, the problem is with Fran in charge you know he is going to give minutes to Pemsl and Kriener. That screws everything up and likely pushes Nunge back from the 3 and takes minutes away from others.

In a perfect world here would be my rotation:

JBo 26 / Dailey 14
Moss 25 / Dailey 10 / Weiskamp 5
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 20
Cook 10 / Nunge 30
Garza 23 / Cook 17

That gives you this:

Nunge - 30
Cook - 27
JBo - 26
Moss - 25
Weiskamp - 25
Dailey - 24
Garza - 23
Baer - 20

That’s an 8 man rotation. Plenty of footspeed and length. Tons of 3pt shooting. I think all 5 starters could average over 10PPG.

If Connor is better than Dailey than put him in there, I don’t see it. My first big man sub in the event of foul trouble would be Wagner for more defense.

I like cutting back Jbo’s minutes, as his defense is a big liability. I also think Garza’s play style maxes him at around 23-24 minutes.
I have to think cutting his mins back would be good for multiple reasons besides just that obvious one. Him having more energy to concentrate on what he's good at would be huge. Cut his mins down to 27ish instead of what 33ish? Is that where he's at? Having him play a little less and also play the 2 spot with Conner at the point should maximize what JBo can do. Run him off screens and get him more open looks.

IDK, how you can look ahead without anticipating some type of roster attrition. I would have to believe that at least two people currently on the roster with eligibility left will be gone. Some combo of Ellingson/Kreiner/Pemsl/Moss/Wagner may look for more PT or opportunity elsewhere. There are the rumors floating around about Cook, but I remaining optimistic that he's fully invested with this team and staff.

The biggest factor looking ahead to next year, will be determined by who Fran replaces them with. The team needs to get quicker and longer, and the hope is that someone joins the roster that can set a tone on the defensive end.

I'll also will not be surprised one bit, if there's a staff change somewhere.
Moss probably isn't going anywhere. Pemsl being a fairly local kid I'd guess isn't going anywhere. The other 3 I could see any of them for sure at least considering it. Good lord almighty I wish Wagner would take a walk down to KFs office...

QUOTE="revkev73, post: 1701189, member: 81504"]Fran needs to become worth as much as a coach as he is paid...[/QUOTE]

That’s a novel idea. I have been a little critical of Kirk in regards to this but he has been more successful than Fran. (See the stats below through 2015) I am hoping Kirk can get back into the top ten a couple more times before he retires. The longer it takes the less impressive the below stats will look considering how long he has been paid a top ten salary.

17CE2CCB-ECCC-4836-832B-9A24B5A3C90A.png

I think we have a few people leave after this year, but I think it will be the bench riders. Most positions are set for at least two more years and in some cases three more years. There is one player who is getting some playing time but turns the ball over a lot who I wouldn't mind seeing go but I digress

Kirk has one of his coaching goals accomplished...BF is the OC...

Next big one is making sure BF is the next HC...

Oh yah, mentoring all those citizens...the primary objective...for multiple mill per year....

Moss probably isn't going anywhere. Pemsl being a fairly local kid I'd guess isn't going anywhere. The other 3 I could see any of them for sure at least considering it. Good lord almighty I wish Wagner would take a walk down to KFs office...

Yeah, I've got no idea. Pemsl and Kreiner are both Iowa kids, but I don't see that being a factor for a college athlete looking to make a greater impact. I personally like both of them and their skill sets. I just don't think the playing time is there for both. Ellingson being a RS junior probably is going to see even less playing time next year. He could grad transfer any maybe get more playing time immediately. I honestly don't see Wagner moving. He seems like a good kid, content to get his degree and remain with his teammates and coaches. That leaves Moss. Who knows with him. I watch him and see a ton of natural ability that rarely produces an output, I feel he's capable of. I'm obviously just an observer, so I could be way off base, but he doesn't seem into this team.