Looking ahead to next year

WindsorHawk

For the purposes of this discussion please assume there are no changes to the roster, incoming recruits or coaches. What has to happen next year for Iowa to be much better? And what group of players most likely accomplishes the needed transformation?

IMO...The team's overall basketball IQ must improve. And obviously the defense must improve significantly.

Value the ball on offense. Stop making careless turnovers and taking bad shots. Talk on defense and make a commitment to playing as hard on the defensive end as on offensive end. Protect the rim and close out on shooters.

Below are the guys I think give us the best change to win...assuming the necessary improvement takes place...youngest to oldest.

Wieskamp
McCaffery
Garza
Nunge
Bohannon
Moss
Cook
Dailley
Baer

I hope to God that Fran hits the transfer market for a PG and a big who can play defense.
How does that shorten the rotation though? He listed 9 guys above and that doesn’t include Kriener or Pemsl who will certainly get minutes with Fran. It will be interesting to see what departures we have after the season ends.

I hope to God that Fran hits the transfer market for a PG and a big who can play defense.
I think he says they do every year but....

And this year’s but is there are no more scholarships

At this time

Sorry WH. I just can’t look ahead.

When there’s a 2018 BTT AT MSG TO WIN!!

Nah, can’t do that either.

;)

Fran needs to become worth as much as a coach as he is paid...

Yeah. We have heard that about a million times. We get it. Thanks. In the meantime, I am going to renew my season basketball tickets which I have had at least off and on since the Ralph Miller days. Most recently, I have suffered through Alford, Lick, and "maybe" through Fran. Just so you will know...full disclosure. I have season football and basketball tickets, attend nearly all of Iowa's away football games, have been in all 14 BT football stadiums, and drive from Beautiful Sheboygan Falls, WI, 292 miles one way to Iowa City for Hawkeye sports. I was born and raised in NW Iowa, the hotbed of great Iowa football and basketball players. I have lived in WI since 1981, but hate the BADgers. I saw my first Iowa football game at the ripe old age of 7 years. Yup, Evy. After the game we went to the Amana Colonies for dinner. Still do. Maybe some history will help to explain my fanatic support for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Join the club; its really a great group! And, yes, this was the single most frustrating basketball season I have experienced. The most exasperating football season was 0-11 with Fabulous Frank Lauterbur. Go Hawks! I predict next football and basketball seasons will be rousing successes, with 22 plus wins in BB and at least 9 in football. Wahoo! And, OK, fire away!

giphy.gif

Looking ahead I see improvement.....I mean really how could we be worse. When you have our current record there's only one direction for this team to move in. Better next year I say.

I was born and raised in NW Iowa, the hotbed of great Iowa football and basketball players.
I’ve lived in NW Iowa my entire life. Exactly who makes this place a “hotbed of great” Iowa players? I’m honestly curious.

I know you like to talk some bullshit, but this one is even beyond your normal.

Last edited:
If this isn't the line up that gets the most minutes, I'll be extremely disappointed. As an Iowa fan....I'm used to disappointment.
CMac
JBo
Wieskamp
Cook
Garza

If this isn't the line up that gets the most minutes, I'll be extremely disappointed. As an Iowa fan....I'm used to disappointment.
CMac
JBo
Wieskamp
Cook
Garza

That's what I'm hoping for too. Either that or Moss turns into a basketball player. I'm hoping at minimum, Connor is in upgrade over this year Moss.

CMac
JBo
Wieskamp
Cook
Garza

I'll be disappointed if this is the lineup that gets the most minutes. JBo is our PG and with the current roster, we are best with him at that spot.

I'm not sure what to expect from Weiskamp but if he is good enough to start over Nunge at the 3 I would go with this line up:
JBo
Moss
Weiskamp
Cook
Garza

I do like Weiskamp as a 3 more than Nunge. I still think Nunge is a stretch 4 but we have Cook at that position and he's being sacrificed to play the 3 to get on the floor but I think it hurts with his matchups.

I'd like to see a rotation of:
JBo/Connor
Moss/Dailey/JBo
Weiskamp/Baer/Nunge
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Cook

Interesting... maybe I'm in the minority but I don't expect Connor to be better than Moss was this year.
I don't know that's a tough one honestly. I could see it going either way. I think the ceiling is higher for Moss yet Connor will probably be more consistent. Moss brings more athletically but the guy is so inconsistent it's just tough to count on him. Heck if I know...