Looking Ahead: My thoughts on Iowa State

Did you guys catch the line one of the announcers said during half time about McDonalds and ISU having the same colors? I literally spit coors light all over my dog.

My wife even caught that. "She said, OMG, did he just call their colors ketchup and mustard?"

Awesome. Even though it was a shameful plug, it made the point we have been making for years.

Okay:

Here is my take. We saw too MAC teams play last night and one got beat because they had a horrible QB. Decent sized O lines that didn't look that athletic or overpowering. Overmatched D lines. Teams couldn't get pressure without bringing extra guys. Tackling was more of the grab and hold variety than the brick wall variety.

Guys took advantage of mistakes by the other team, rather than enforcing their will.

For example, Arnaud misses on the third down pass and gets bailed out by the weak roughing the passer play. Didn't call the penalty weak, just if you are going to do it, you better get more out of it than that.

Iowa needs to come into the game with the goal of playing efficient overpowering football. They need toe execute, tackle well, and stick to their assignments and if they do so, it won't be close.

Last edited:
Okay:

Here is my take. We saw too MAC teams play last night and one got beat because they had a horrible QB. Decent sized O lines that didn't look that athletic or overpowering. Overmatched D lines. Teams couldn't get pressure without bringing extra guys. Tackling was more of the grab and hold variety than the brick wall variety.

Guys took advantage of mistakes by the other team, rather than enforcing their will.

For example, Arnaud misses on the third down pass and gets bailed out by the weak roughing the passer play. Didn't call the penalty weak, just if you are going to do it, you better get more out of it than that.

yes, that penalty was weak. you are right, might as well as teed off on him.

I just want next week to be a fun football game with ISU having a puncher's chance at the end. Best of luck, and win or lose, I'll keep it classy.

Go State!

NIU was a bad bad team and they will not win the MAC. So let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Take away A-Robs long run and he had a below average night. He was the second leading rusher in the Big12 last years for goodness sakes and NIU did a good job on him other than the long run. 18 carries for 34 yards - and that's against a bad NIU defense. Iowa will have no problem with the clowns next week.

Did you guys catch the line one of the announcers said during half time about McDonalds and ISU having the same colors? I literally spit coors light all over my dog.

I caught that, but what was even funnier was the one announcer, I think Klatt, anyway he played QB at Colorado so he played against ISU for 4 or 5 years and called them the Iowa Cyclones. Seriously you were in the same conference and still **** that up?

The FSN helmet sideline cam was atrocious too.

Don't forget about the unsettling used-car commercial with the old guy owner maniacally laughing throughout the whole 30 seconds. They showed this like 800 times. The part where he was dressed like Santa and the hot-chick elf hugs him was especially disturbing. Made me long for the days of Rotel.

Come on, guys. It was a nice win for a team that alot of people had losing this game. They pretty much dominated the 1st half and looked alot better on defense than I thought they would.
Yes, NIU may have been somewhat overrated (and i agree, their QB was baaaad) but let's not let our biases overshadow analysis of the game. They looked good.
I still think we win next Saturday fairly comfortably but I'm not as confident of a dominating win as I was on Wednesday.

Some of you guys sound like a few of the nuts over on CF who think the only reason Iowa ever wins a game is because the other team is awful.

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to look back and see who said it (83Hawk maybe), but did a Hawk fan actually say earlier he wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State wins next week!?!?

I'm not saying that's impossible, but Arnaud will need to have the game of his life in order for Iowa State to beat Iowa. Like someone else said, we need to wait and see how the Hawks look before jumping to conclusions. But really you wouldn't be surprised if they beat us? Even without seeing how Iowa is going to perform Saturday, I would be shocked. What exactly was it about their semi-impressive performance against NIU that makes you think they are capable of beating Iowa? This is the most talented team from top to bottom Iowa has had since Ferentz has been here. It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than what they showed last night to come away from Iowa City with a victory.

I'm too lazy to look back and see who said it (83Hawk maybe), but did a Hawk fan actually say earlier he wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State wins next week!?!?

I'm not saying that's impossible, but Arnaud will need to have the game of his life in order for Iowa State to beat Iowa. Like someone else said, we need to wait and see how the Hawks look before jumping to conclusions. But really you wouldn't be surprised if they beat us? Even without seeing how Iowa is going to perform Saturday, I would be shocked. What exactly was it about their semi-impressive performance against NIU that makes you think they are capable of beating Iowa? This is the most talented team from top to bottom Iowa has had since Ferentz has been here. It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than what they showed last night to come away from Iowa City with a victory.

Yes, that was me who said I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State won. Notice I was not PREDICTING an ISU win....big difference.

Remember 2002? 2007? How about 2008 where it took a big punt return for a TD to lock that game up? Why think this game will be anything but close and hard-fought? Why dismiss the Cyclones when they have risen up and bitten the Hawks several times in the past?

I can't wait for this game to be over (hopefully with a Hawkeye victory).

Anyone who thinks ISU can't win next week is crazy. I can see them using the short passing game and their ARob and moving the chains against our bend but don't break D, getting a few FGs from Mahoney, and a touch or two, winning the TO battle and doing enough on D to win.

Now, I still think the Hawks will win but to say that ISU doesn't have chance is just foolish.

My take is ISU was emotionally ready for this game and NIU wasn't, alot of talk about how NIU being favored in the MAC and would come in to Ames and give ISU all they could handle or flat out beat them. I have no doubt Rhodes is agreat motivator like Mac used to be for ISU and he had them ready to play against NIU and will do the same against Iowa next week.

The difference is that NIU's Defense is no where near what Iowa's will be next week. All those up the middle runs against NIU they will not get against us. We'll give up some yardage on those drop off underneath passes, and ISU will probably move the ball between the 20's like has been mentioned before, but I still see us keeping them out of the endzone, they'll get one touchdown late against us, otherwise we only give up 4 field goals. We win 30-19 and its not as close as the score looks with the late touchdown.

Also agree with the horrible play calling by NIU, Spann is a good back and they moved the ball easily when they handed off to him, but went away too many times, if they would have kept feeding him the ball I think the outcome may have been a little different.

Don't forget about the unsettling used-car commercial with the old guy owner maniacally laughing throughout the whole 30 seconds. They showed this like 800 times. The part where he was dressed like Santa and the hot-chick elf hugs him was especially disturbing. Made me long for the days of Rotel.

That's Bob Roahrman out of Chicago, he owns the Comcast Chicago airwaves. Those of us Cubs fans see his face often.

Really? Seems to me Iowa struggled to beat ISU at home 2 years ago. And lost to them the year before that.

I don't see how this game can be considered anything BUT tough.....especially when you consider that ISU plays the type of offense that typically gives Iowa fits.

I have to disagree with this. The Cyclones haven't scored a TD against Iowa in 3+ games. I would say that Iowa's defense hasn't had many "fits" against the Clones. Same with Northwestern last year. What did they score? 17? And 7 of those were a result of a fumble recovery in the end zone. I think it's a misnomer that Iowa struggles against spread attacks. Maybe early in the 2000's they did, but not recently.

I never once said ISU doesn't have a chance. In fact I said if Arnaud has the game of his life it's possible. If they come out content to throw short passes, work their way down the field, and more importantly keep our offense off the field then yes they have a chance. The chances Arnaud stays poised and content with the short passing game are very slim. Is he capable of it, yes. I would be shocked if he actually came out and did it tho.

I think Iowa's d-line is bound to make him uncomfortable and the typical Arnaud will show himself eventually. If he turns the ball over more than once they won't win the game.

Yes, that was me who said I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State won. Notice I was not PREDICTING an ISU win....big difference.

Remember 2002? 2007? How about 2008 where it took a big punt return for a TD to lock that game up? Why think this game will be anything but close and hard-fought? Why dismiss the Cyclones when they have risen up and bitten the Hawks several times in the past?

I can't wait for this game to be over (hopefully with a Hawkeye victory).

The 2007 Iowa team had something in common with the 2010 NIU team. A bad QB that can not stretch the field vertically to get the 8th/9th man out of the box. The 2008 team was in a QB battle and I think it was Stanzi's first start but Jake still played extensively. So again we did not have a QB that could make the defense honest. The 2010 Iowa team does not have that weakness.

Latest posts